duckhunting near ft polk la

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

duckhunting near ft polk la

Postby thekunk » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:24 pm

I need some advice were to hunt down here.I just moved here from kansas.anything will help..thanks guys
thekunk
hunter

Re: duckhunting near ft polk la

Postby neus0812 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:23 pm

How far are you willing to drive? Do you want public land or a lease?
neus0812
hunter

Postby creole » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:04 pm

lacassine or sabine refuge but both are about 2 hrs away and you can hunt bundicks lake,go scout you a spot and build a blind but it is public so if somebody gets there before you ur sol.lacassine and sabine are better options but you have to scout.bundicks is prolly hit and miss but ive hunted it and killed,lots of woodies and have seen bluewings and greyducks
creole
hunter

Postby duckthug » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:14 pm

If your ever driving down Texas highway stop in at Stevens country store just past camp baker, they owner is a helpful guy and will steer you the right direction, got a cute girl that works the cash machine too
duckthug
hunter

Postby neus0812 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:15 pm

If you build a blind on Bundicks you can always put a door with a lock on it on the blind. Most blinds out there have locks on them.
neus0812
hunter

Postby chootin ducks5 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:55 pm

There is a ducks unlimited reserve just outside of Alex. off of 28 in kisatche natnl' forrest. I grew up hunting catahoulla lake and the green tree resivoir in Dewey Wells WMA. DU reserve is about 45 min from you all the other places are around Deville LA. couple of hours away but well worth the drive. If you go to green tree, it has a 5 mile circular levee around it, right in the middle is a huge trail with 16 potholes branching off of it. all shallow water its great for the most part. go to the back and on the left hand side. PS. google earth the WMA and it will show you all the pot holes!
chootin ducks5
hunter

Postby MikeInSlagle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:26 pm

The reserve mentioned by chootin ducks5 is a decent to great spot, but be ready to climb a Kisastche mountain coming out. I've killed or shot at teal, woodies, grey ducks, mallards and geese down there. Even had a turkey hen come in on us one morning. Last year it was dry though, as in no water. We were still able to pass shoot woodies but we couldn't find them once they were down so we packed up and left. One little spot of mud and dead gar everywhere. Don't know if its filled back up by now or not.

There are several WMAs within a couple of hours. I have only hunted Ouchita once and didn't kill anything. I have heard good things about Dewey W Wills WMA, mainly the Greentree Reservoir, and Pintail Alley on Ouachita WMA up north by Monroe.

Anacoco Lake is pretty good at times. There is a place out there called the meadow (though I cant recall how to get there) with several blinds and decent hunting. You have to have a boat to get there, and not one you have to paddle as its a pretty good ride.

If you don't have a good duck boat, one of the easiest places to get to is by the bridge on hwy 171 and just paddle north or east whichever you want to call it. Its not a large area and last year there were two blinds in there. The highway noise will drive you crazy. Or at the bridge on Hwy 111 (Seven Bridges). Same thing. Put in and paddle north. Not the best hunting but it's something.

The only boat I have is a piroque. I use that and waders for my hunts. Last year I started hunting Vernon Lake. Didn't do much on the few hunts I went on. Saw only woodies and coot, and a curious beaver. I am currently scouting for a new place on Vernon and Anacoco (got a few places in mind) and will keep you posted.

Toledo Bend offers good hunting from what I hear but I have never hunted it. A spot up around Zwolle I hear tell is prime hunting using a small boat and/or waders, and I plan to try it this year.

Hope this helps
Good Luck

All three lakes I mentioned are public of course and you can build a blind. You can use the blinds already there but if the builder shows up, you may have problems. I have known people to leave their decoys out all season long with no problems. But I have also known of people to take the dekes and torch the blinds.
MikeInSlagle
Newb

Postby thekunk » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:30 pm

Hey guys- thanks a lot for your input on my request.One thing is for sure I have ran into a lot of pvt land that ducks are sitting on.I will have a boat that I will be renting for the last half of the split. I will be taking a good look at all of the ideas that you all gave me. IF you all need a duck hunting partner let me know. Craig_kunkel2002@yahoo.com. I am down to duck hunt and learn from some locals.
Thanks again....craig
thekunk
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting