Duck Hunting Forum banner

Hunting over planted Millet

8K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  Barney#1 
#1 ·
I am confused. I have read the regs and the way I interpret it is that you can hunt over it as long as you do not manipulate it. I bought seed to plant and was told later that it would be illegal to hunt this year. I ended up calling tpwd office and they said it would be illegal to hunt this year but that it would be legal next year if it came back on its own. Does anyone know for sure??

#2 ·
I've heard this about texas too. When I was there hunting, my buddy had a ranch outside of Wichita Falls, and said that we were specifically to stay away from the wheat fields to the north of his homestead but told us we could hunt it next year. I also believe that in the first year, you have to harvest the field and let it come back before you can hunt.

#6 ·
Indiancreekducks87 said:
So just hypothetically..... How is it determined by the warden if its first year or second year growth???....... Seems a little grey
That's a question I cannot get an answer to. Hypothetically, you could hunt it the first year because nobody would know but you. Unless the game warden came and saw it wasn't there the year before.

#8 ·
Indiancreekducks87 said:
One of those "what kind of a mood is the warden in today" kind of questions I suppose.
Basically. It would be hard to prove unless you had pictures with dates of when everything was done

#10 ·
Indiancreekducks87 said:
Any idea what category rice would fall under? Can u hunt over that the first go round??
Normal plant/harvesting of crops can be hunted over if it is cleared 10 says before its hunted.

#12 ·
You CAN hunt over millet, corn, milo what ever you plant. You CAN hunt it dry, flood it. You can NOT manipulate it. The second year you CAN manipulate it. Who ever told you other wise was wrong.

Btw, Oklahoma plants thousand of acres of millet every year for hunters to hunt over. Many duck clubs in the mid west plant crops then flood them and hunt the same year.

Now for dove hunting you can plant crops and manipulate them.

#13 ·
LTMFH said:
You CAN hunt over millet, corn, milo what ever you plant. You CAN hunt it dry, flood it. You can NOT manipulate it. The second year you CAN manipulate it. Who ever told you other wise was wrong.

Btw, Oklahoma plants thousand of acres of millet every year for hunters to hunt over. Many duck clubs in the mid west plant crops then flood them and hunt the same year.

Now for dove hunting you can plant crops and manipulate them.
This is for migratory birds, which is dove, duck & sandhill cranes. Read before you post and have someone get in trouble.

TPWD said:
YBaiting (the following baiting rules have been established by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service):
A hunter MAY hunt any migratory game bird:
over standing crops, standing flooded crops, and flooded harvested crops
at any time over natural vegetation that has been manipulated
where seeds or grains have been scattered as a result of normal agricultural planting, harvesting, or post-harvest manipulation
over crops or natural vegetation where grain has been inadvertently scattered as a result of entering or leaving the field, placing decoys, or retrieving downed birds
using natural vegetation or crops to conceal a blind, provided that if crops are used, no grain or other feed is exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered in the process
except water fowl and cranes where grain or other feed has been distributed or scattered as the result of the manipulation of a crop or livestock feeding
A hunter MAY NOT:
hunt migratory birds with the aid of bait, or on or over any baited area
hunt over any baited area until 10 days after all baiting materials have been removed
hunt waterfowl or cranes over manipulated planted millet, unless the millet was planted more than one year prior to hunting
hunt waterfowl or cranes over crops that have been manipulated, unless the manipulation is a normal agricultural planting, harvesting, or post-harvest manipulation

#14 ·
I had the same thing happen last year and was told by a warden it was illegal to hunt the first year. I ended up sending an email to the TPWD office in Austin with your question and this is how they replied.

You can hunt over it the first year, however, you may not walk through,
drive through, shred it down, disk it or make any of the seed heads to
drop their seed by anything or any activity you do to cause such. Read
the Waterfowl baiting federal laws very closely since we follow suit
with those.
http://www.fws.gov/le/HuntFish/waterfowl_baiting.htm

#15 ·
I think the best course of action on this subject is to always keep your local game warden "in the know." If you hunt private or leased land and want to plant contact the game warden and discuss your intentions. Discuss your understanding of the law with them and they will give you their opnion. Most of the tickets I've seen written were in the eyes of the warden and their interpretation of regulation/law.

#16 ·
MarkM said:
This is for migratory birds, which is dove, duck & sandhill cranes. Read before you post and have someone get in trouble.

TPWD said:
YBaiting (the following baiting rules have been established by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service):
where seeds or grains have been scattered as a result of normal agricultural planting, harvesting, or post-harvest manipulation
over crops or natural vegetation where grain has been inadvertently scattered as a result of entering or leaving the field, placing decoys, or retrieving downed birds
using natural vegetation or crops to conceal a blind, provided that if crops are used, no grain or other feed is exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered in the process
except water fowl and cranes where grain or other feed has been distributed or scattered as the result of the manipulation of a crop or livestock feeding
A hunter MAY NOT:
hunt over any baited area until 10 days after all baiting materials have been removed
hunt waterfowl or cranes over manipulated planted millet, unless the millet was planted more than one year prior to hunting
hunt waterfowl or cranes over crops that have been manipulated, unless the manipulation is a normal agricultural planting, harvesting, or post-harvest manipulation
Sorry but you are Wrong.

http://www.fws.gov/le/pdf/dove-hunting-and-baiting.pdf. Page 8

Manipulation of Crops and Other Vegetation
Agricultural crops, other feed, and natural vegetation may be manipulated to improve dove hunting. Manipulation means the alteration of natural vegetation or agricultural crops by activities such as mowing, shredding, discing, rolling, chopping, trampling, flattening, burning, or herbicide treatments. Manipulation does not include the distributing or scattering of seeds, grains, or other feed after removal from or storage on the field where grown. You should be aware that although you can hunt doves over manipulated agricultural crops, you cannot hunt waterfowl over manipulated agricultural crops except after the field has been subject to a normal harvest and removal of grain (i.e., post-harvest manipulation).

#17 ·
LTMFH said:
MarkM said:

TPWD said:
A hunter MAY NOT:
Sorry but you are Wrong.

Agricultural crops, other feed, and natural vegetation may be manipulated to improve dove hunting. Manipulation means the alteration of natural vegetation or agricultural crops by activities such as mowing, shredding, discing, rolling, chopping, trampling, flattening, burning, or herbicide treatments. Manipulation does not include the distributing or scattering of seeds, grains, or other feed after removal from or storage on the field where grown. You should be aware that although you can hunt doves over manipulated agricultural crops, you cannot hunt waterfowl over manipulated agricultural crops except after the field has been subject to a normal harvest and removal of grain (i.e., post-harvest manipulation).
I can place the link from where I got my information at as well.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hu ... l/methods/

I will stick to what I read on TPWD website and what I've gotten by doing without getting a ticket. At a fundraiser we've held every year the game warden comes by to eat some BBQ and hang out. No need in changing our hunting habits and risk a chance.

When you can get around 100-150 birds opening morning though, there isn't much need to.

Mark

#18 ·
Are you talking about Doves or Waterfowl. Dove regs are not the same as waterfowl regs when hunting over crops.

MarkM said:
LTMFH said:
MarkM said:

TPWD said:
A hunter MAY NOT:
Sorry but you are Wrong.

I can place the link from where I got my information at as well.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hu ... l/methods/

I will stick to what I read on TPWD website and what I've gotten by doing without getting a ticket. At a fundraiser we've held every year the game warden comes by to eat some BBQ and hang out. No need in changing our hunting habits and risk a chance.

When you can get around 100-150 birds opening morning though, there isn't much need to.

Mark

#21 ·
L0ngh0rn30 said:
LTMFH said:
Are you talking about Doves or Waterfowl. Dove regs are not the same as waterfowl regs when hunting over crops.
True
Sorry I was talking about general bird hunting, my mistake.

You are correct on manipulation for dove only.

Mark

#22 ·
Listen up people!

You CAN hunt over millet that you planted in the same year as long as you do not manipulate it. In fact, you can walk through it or your dog can walk through it to retrieve ducks or get to your hunting spot. That's not considered manipulation. Anyone on this forum that tells you otherwise is wrong. I have had this discussion with STATE AND FEDERAL game wardens. This isn't rocket science. Now go plant your millet and kill some birds.

MarkM - Please stop disseminating false information.

#26 ·
So what did we learn... Everyone call your local game warden when faced with a question about legalities!!

Don't ask someone online at the risk that you get the wrong answer and get into trouble. Game wardens work for us as tax payers and I doubt any of them would except "The guys on DHC told me I could..."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.