Swan Meat

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Swan Meat

Postby greenheadguy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:27 pm

Anybody have a good recipe for tundra swan i shoot one about every year and we always just cook the massive steaks on the grill but this year i want to try something diffrent and ideas would be very much appreciated.
greenheadguy
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:55 pm

I too am looking for a swan recipe. If you find one let me know. I was thinking about making some kind of stew. Thinking this after realizing how difficult they are to pluck! Those feathers are on there good.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby morlock » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:52 pm

Chawdron was a special sauce for swans. It was made of the bird's own guts, cut small and boiled in broth with its blood and vinegar and strong spices. It looked blackish and was served hot.
http://www.assemblage.group.shef.ac.uk/ ... l#medieval

recipe
http://deadmenleft.blogspot.com/2005/03 ... rrine.html

Swan meat is best prepared after the dead bird has been hung for four days: the bacterial action tenderises the meat and enhances its rich, gamey flavour.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... _n13453803

In modern day New Zealand, the black swan has a season in which it can be hunted
http://laughinggastronome.blogspot.com/ ... daloo.html

Md. seeks mute swan hunting season

Federal approval needed; goal is to control birds after state shoots 1,500
7.19.03 Dennis O'Brien Baltimore Sun

After months of debate over the fate of the state's beautiful but
annoying mute swans, Maryland officials are proposing for the first time
a hunting season to keep their numbers down.

DNR officials are seeking a federal permit to kill almost half of the
state's 3,600 mute swans. They say that is necessary because the birds
are an invasive species that crowds out other birds and eats millions of
pounds of aquatic grasses vital to the Chesapeake Bay's health.
http://lists.envirolink.org/pipermail/a ... 03705.html

"In the King James Version, Leviticus 11:18 and Deuteronomy 14:16 list "swan" among unclean birds. However, this seems to be a mistranslation. The original word apparently refers to a kind of owl and is so translated in most modern Bible versions."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unclean_animals

Mute swans are large, powerful, and often dangerous. The largest male on record weighed 50.7 pounds. They are one of the few species that will fight each other to death. The aggressor "rides" his prey and
holds its head under water until it drowns or dies of exhaustion.

Swans kill dogs in the same way, and on at least two occasions, have killed people: a child in Massachusetts around 1930, and in 1982, an Indian fisherman drowned when a swan capsized his boat and beat him on the head and shoulders. They will attack humans on jet-skis.
http://www.gsenet.org/library/23wld/intrswan.php

Average Lifespan: 35 year(s)

Immature Mute Swans flock together and may pair and look for a nesting site by two years of age. Most Mute Swans die, usually in flying accidents, before they are one year old.
http://www.centralpets.com/animals/bird ... d4917.html

Young swans are known as cygnets, from the Latin word for swan, cygnus. An adult male is a cob, from Middle English cobbe (leader of a group); an adult female is a pen (origin unknown).
One Chinese idiom about swans is how "a toad wants to eat swan flesh!". This idiom is used derisively on men who desire women who are beyond their station in terms of wealth, social class or beauty, and to people who are rude and ask/demand a reward they shouldn't deserve
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swan

12/12/2006
Shanghai Daily news

Several restaurants in the border area of Shaanxi, Henan and Shanxi provinces were serving swan meat, authorities said. China lists swans as a protected animal. A swan dish sold for about 200 yuan (US$25).
http://english.eastday.com.cn/eastday/e ... 01712.html

recipe is based on a 17th-century recipe for swan or wild goose. I have adapted it for duck. It uses methods that now seem quaint. Nonetheless, I found the dish to be highly appealing comfort fare for any century.

Duck in a 17th-Century Sauce
4 servings

1 whole duck

1 bottle red wine

6 cloves peeled garlic

2-inch cinnamon stick

1 bay leaf

1 tablespoon coriander seed

6 black peppercorns

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 slices stale bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Cooked rice or pasta

Remove the giblets (heart, liver and gizzard) from the duck and set aside. Place the duck in a large pot. Pour wine into pot and add enough water to just cover the duck. Add garlic, cinnamon, bay leaf, coriander and peppercorns. Bring liquid to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, or until the meat pulls easily from the bone. Meanwhile, place the giblets in a saucepan with just enough water to cover. Simmer for 1 hour.

Lift the duck from the poaching liquid and set aside to cool. When duck is cool, pull the meat from the bones. Discard skin and bones.

Strain the wine broth, discarding the spices. Skim the fat from the broth. Transfer the strained liquid to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the salt and the bread slices. Stirring often, cook until the sauce is reduced to 11/2 cups. As you stir, mash the bread cubes into the liquid until the bread dissolves.Chop the cooked giblets and stir them into the sauce. Add the duck meat and cook for 3 minutes. Serve immediately over cooked rice or noodles. Garnish with minced parsley.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib ... slice.html
morlock
Newb

Postby blindretrieve » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:51 pm

put them in one of those roasting bags with taters carrots and onions....yum yum or cut into cubes ....wrap with bacon and put on a skewer on the grill with veggies!
My lab is smarter than your honor student
blindretrieve
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:56 pm

I cut the breasts, thighs and wing meat off and then slow cook it in a crock pot for a day. Then pull it apart and eat over rice. I think swan is one of the best tasting waterfowl out there.
phutch30
hunter

swan

Postby dlibert » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:42 am

eveyone needs a presure cooker.. roll in seasoned flour and than egg and than flour brown in beef fat or bacon grease,, than in presur cooker add 2 inches of onion chopped and some garlic and a spoon of ginger than add swan that has been browned on top of onions add about 3 to 4 inches of chicken broth just enough to cover half of meat .. add a hand full of raisins on top of meat and a few more onions. presure cook at 10 lbs for 45 to 60 minutes. i have made this for so many peple that hate duck goose and swan they all love it make some gravy out of juices .. dont forget the raisin ..good luck..
dlibert
hunter

Re: Swan Meat

Postby beeperdb » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:54 pm

I've only tried swan cooked one way. The following link is for a marinade that I've used for fish and swan breast.

allrecipes.com/recipe/rosemary-lemon-grilled-chicken/

It is not greasy like duck or goose, so don't overcook it!

I compare the swan breast to an excellent filet mignon. I was concerned when I tried to find a recipe for it. The first one I found compared it to a fishy mutton. I'm not a fan of a strong fishy flavor and will tolerate lamb if I have to, so I didn't think I would be a fan. After the first bite, I was hooked!
beeperdb
Newb

Postby hercdrvrwo » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:00 am

Old thread I know, but I just filled my first Swan tag and tried swan for the first time: I only breasted/leg'd it, plenty of meat for me.

I Brined mine for 2 days first. I never measure anything, so these are approximations. Basically you want the boiling water to dissolve everything, if it doesn't...add more boiling water.

~1/2 cup salt
~1/2 cup molasses
~1 cup of honey
~4-8 whole cloves (depends on how you like the flavor)
~1 1/2 cup of boiling water

In a deep dish or container mix all of the ingredients up let cool to room temp

Then add 7 cups of cold water -- then your swan meat and then let sit in the fridge for 2 days.

Get your smoker up and going--I smoked mine with apple wood heavy for ~ 1hr then wrapped in foil and cooked on smoker another hr till mid rare---basted with sauce and grilled for 5 min a side just to get some grill marks/sauce hot, slice and serve!

It was AWESOME!! Hope I get my swan tag again next year!
"Fly it like you stole it!"
hercdrvrwo
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:05 am

Here's an easy recipe that will make any wildfowl a delicious meal that will serve lots of folks. Originally served to me years ago up in Canada with Snow Goose as the basis, I fell in love with it and have fixed it hundreds of times. It would make a 'sail cat' taste good!

Saskatchewan Goose Stew
1 Goose Breast(Canada or Snow or Swan)
Butter
Italian Bread Crumbs + any other spices
Salt , Pepper & Garlic Powder
3 eggs beaten
Flour
Onion, large ,sliced
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can milk or half & half

Filet the two sides of the goose from the breast and place in cold salt water overnite to remove blood. Change water often . Remove and pat dry. Cut breasts into 1-2 inch cubes. Salt, pepper, and garlic powder cubed breasts to taste. Coat cubes in flour and then dip in beaten egg. Roll egg-dipped cubes in Italian Bread Crumbs plus any other spices you prefer.
Brown cubes in butter in skillet over medium heat so as to adhere crumbs to the meat.
Place the browned goose cubes into a roaster and add sliced onion. Pour heated mixture of Cream of Mushroom soup and milk over meat and add water until goose and mixture is covered. Place roaster, top on, into pre-heated oven at 350º for ½ hour. Turn oven down to 200º for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionly. Serve with mashed potatos or over rice. Delightful.

“This recipe was served to me in 1985 by the late Mrs. Willie (Ivadelle) Kosior (2012), Fillmore, Saskatchewan. It has been a favorite ever since! “ Tenfingergrip
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:02 am

Around here you add one shell, mix with a swan, toss in a game warden then stew over a giant-ass fine!

Not a meal any of us in CA want to sit down to anytime soon. Appreciate what you got!
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking