.243 reload input

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

.243 reload input

Postby kazoo pro » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:45 am

picked up a rem 700sps .243 friday. During the 10 day wait put together some loads with. several different bullets nosler bt90gr, bt95gr,100gr partition, speer grand slam 100gr, sierra pro hunt 100gr. Did initial sight in with 80gr fed blu box. groups were as expected 3/4 to 1-1/2" good starting point. Here is my confusion, the bullet that shot the best group was the speer. However it consistently shot 3" off center. I mixed it up to try and correct shooter error. shoot a couple rounds of another cartridge then one speer, shoot 3 speers, shoot 2 of another that 2 speers. did not matter what combination tried or amount of focus used they shoot 3" left of all other cartridges. The end result was 9 speers in a 3/4" group three inches to the left. Have not experienced this with other cal. reloaded.

I am a self taught amature reloader couple years exp. and do not have anyone experienced to consult. Am i a very consistent bad shot with that bullet or does this happen and correction will come with recipe adjustment?

It is eating at me so any thoughts are appreciated.
kazoo pro
hunter

Re: .243 reload input

Postby 3200 man » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:30 am

So , what powder / primer are you loading with the different bullet weights ?

Brass ? how are you getting your brass ready to reload ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby derbyacresbob » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:06 am

I have owned many different Rem 700s over the years in many different calibers. Most all of them shot to different spots with different bullets. They shot some good groups but if I switched bullets I had to sight the rifle in for that different bullet.

The only Rem 700 with a factory barrel that shot close to the same spot with two different bullets was a Rem 7mm mag. It shot the Sierra 140 BT and 160 gr BT to the same spot at 100 yards.

I now own four Rem 700 rifles that I have had Hart Barrels put on. These rifles with the Hart barrels shoot much closer to the same spot with different bullets than the factory Rem barrels did.

Find the best grouping load and bullet and sight your rifle in for that load and bullet.
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:35 am

Few rifles shoot different loads to the same POI so what you are dealing with is not abnormal. Like Derby mentioned, determine the bullet/powder combination that shoots the best groups and sight to that POI.

To really taylor the load to the rifle determine the bullet you are going to use from your experimentation and note the powder charge. Load a few groups of 3 rounds beginning at the "starting" weight for that powder/bullet combination and vary the charge of each "group" by .5 grains working up to the "maximum" charge weight. Make sure you carefully separate and mark the rounds (I use a sharpie and do a line across the headstamp for #1, do an "X" for load 2 and so-on with different marks or colors for each charge weight). Then shoot each "group" making sure to record the group size of each powder charge (don't worry about where the group prints as you are sorking solely on group size).

Look at the results and see which charges produced the best groups. Then work up load groups of 5 rounds between the 2 best in .25 grain increments and shoot again. Do make sure you allow ample barrel cooling time between shots/groups and clean the bore on a consistent basis. Doing this allows you to work up loads to the sweet spot of the rifle and then you can sight the rifle to the POI of your "pet" load. Once you have the recipe write it on a rock and load to that recipe to your heart's content.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:41 am

I dont think you are having load problems. \

I think you need to adjust the windage on your scope.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:21 pm

Each powder, primer, bullet and oal of load can impact at different spots on target due to the differences
even if slight from another load.
Lets say you use the same powder and primer.................the bullets even though the same weight (+/- .5grs)
the tip or ogive may be shaped different and the copper jacket might be thinner or thicker. Hence: different point
of impact. A flat base could out shoot a boat tail, you never know until the smoke clears.
No big thing.......just find the load and bullet that groups the best and correct your scope to print at the
setting that you need.

The 100gr usually has more energy and penetration than the lighter bullets, so don't worry about top velocities, a
90% load will equal a maximum load of a 85gr bullet. Example : 85gr nosler partition at 3220fps has a 300 yard energy of 1035 ft/lbs. A 100gr partition at 2960 has 1141 ft/lbs and can be reduced to only 2830fps and have 1032 ft/lbs equal to the 85gr bullet.

Accuracy is the name of the game..........

A quick setting at 25 yards works for a 200 yard zero while a 50 yard zero will work for a 100 yard zero with a scope 1.5" above the bore. Saves a lot of time walking back and forth from 100 yards or more.
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Target Shooting