Molting

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Molting

Postby BuckeyeZac » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:15 pm

I have noticed the disappearance of drakes the last few days in my area. I suspect they are molting but I do not know the exact time frame that occurs. Anybody have any thoughts?
Last edited by BuckeyeZac on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuckeyeZac
hunter

Re: Molting

Postby t_baker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:14 am

Spent a lot of time on the lake last week. They are molting. All the ducks looked like hell that I seen.
t_baker
hunter

Postby OrangeMilk » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:57 pm

I was at Schiller park yesterday and saw just 3 or 4 drakes and about 40 hens. The young drakes that were there did like hell.

There was a Male Canvasback though, I've never seen one of those at Schiller park
If you see the ammo in my avatar on sale anywhere, please let me know, thanks.
OrangeMilk
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:26 pm

t_baker wrote:Spent a lot of time on the lake last week. They are molting. All the ducks looked like hell that I seen.

Fishing? Pan or Saugeye?
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby t_baker » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:27 am

ohio mike wrote:
t_baker wrote:Spent a lot of time on the lake last week. They are molting. All the ducks looked like hell that I seen.

Fishing? Pan or Saugeye?

Yes sir. Monday we went after the Saugeye. Caught 8, only 3 were keepers. Wednesday my wife wanted to lay out so I just bass fished. Caught a few nice ones, and 1 nice Saugeye on a Rapala shad rap over by Taco Bell. (pure luck). Finished out the day over by North Fork and the Chanel that takes you to Long View Cove, caught a nice mess of blue gill we cleaned and ate that night.

I got my new motor done and on the boat so my whole goal for the week was to run it around and make sure I wasnt going to find any more issues. So I never really sat in one place to long.
t_baker
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:09 am

OrangeMilk wrote:I was at Schiller park yesterday and saw just 3 or 4 drakes and about 40 hens. The young drakes that were there did like hell.

There was a Male Canvasback though, I've never seen one of those at Schiller park

Wooster?
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting