layout boat hunting

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

layout boat hunting

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:55 pm

hey guys. been awhile since ive posted. i have come across a deal on a layout boat. thinking about buying it to try out and for the price i am paying, i can turn around and sell it and make money or atleast get my money back out of it. my question is, what are some tips for it. how awkward are they to shoot out of? how do you do set them up? i have never done it before, so I have a feeling I am in for a treat. thanks guys, ILgoose
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
User avatar
ILgoosehunter12
hunter
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:27 am


Re: layout boat hunting

Postby Shade » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:13 pm

If it is a true layout boat (not a hybrid) it should be very similar to shooting from a layout blind. True layout boats are very stable and are obviously designed for shooting. There are a ton of great tips in some of the older threads on this site so do some digging. But the biggest tip I will give you is SAFETY FIRST. While very stable.... it is possible to fall out and even tip them over. Life jacket.... suck it up and wear it. Orange flag.... don't leave home without it. True layout boats need a Tender... Unless hunting just off shore in shallow water.

Buy it. If you are willing to learn the tricks, safety, and open water laws.... This is a very rewarding style of waterfowl hunting.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
User avatar
Shade
hunter
 
Posts: 1585
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:01 pm
Location: Mill Creek

Re: layout boat hunting

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:26 am

Shade wrote:If it is a true layout boat (not a hybrid) it should be very similar to shooting from a layout blind. True layout boats are very stable and are obviously designed for shooting. There are a ton of great tips in some of the older threads on this site so do some digging. But the biggest tip I will give you is SAFETY FIRST. While very stable.... it is possible to fall out and even tip them over. Life jacket.... suck it up and wear it. Orange flag.... don't leave home without it. True layout boats need a Tender... Unless hunting just off shore in shallow water.

Buy it. If you are willing to learn the tricks, safety, and open water laws.... This is a very rewarding style of waterfowl hunting.


Thanks Shade. I appreciate it very much. I always wear life vest when running my blind boat. My rule is, if you think you are too good to wear it, your too good to be in my boat and will find yourself sleeping in the truck. This particular layout is a two-man boat. Hoping it will be a little easier for me to hunt in. I am not the smallest pup in the litter! Lol! Thanks a bunch Shade!
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
User avatar
ILgoosehunter12
hunter
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:27 am

Re: layout boat hunting

Postby dthur » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:35 pm

With MANY thanks from the Michigan Sportsman web group, Branta put this together, treat this as your waterfowl bible, it WILL save you or your loved ones life!

In the interest of trying to pull all the great ideas included in this thread together, I've revised the original post by Ahartz and integrated nearly all of the other suggestions/tips/ideas below. I hope this information proves useful for some of the newer guys. I know that I've picked up a couple new ideas and will be adding them to our layout rig. Good Luck to all and be safe.


SOLAS, LAYOUT DUCK HUNTING SUBSECTION-Hartz

“The SOLAS Convention in its successive forms is generally regarded as the most important of all international treaties concerning the safety of merchant ships. The first version was adopted in 1914, in response to the Titanic disaster, the second in 1929, the third in 1948 and the fourth in 1960.”

This is the convention that dictates basic equipment and actions that will be deployed during navigation, boarding a watercraft, etc…I have adopted this idea for layout hunting.

Basic Equipment List

A. Tender Boat Gear
• PFDs, recommend lifejackets or inflatable suspenders for each person aboard
• Paddle
• Flares
• VHF Radio
• Fire extinguisher
• Cell phone
• Horn
• At least 1 12V bilge pump and one Manual bilge pump as back-up
• 2 Anchors with lines, one with a easily seen float, the other is a back-up tender anchor
• Small tool set
• Emergency phone number card
• EPIRB ( The ultimate mayday call)
• Long handled fishing net, to retrieve your dead birds, works best.
• 4 foot or longer boat hook
• Dry bag with change of clothes
• Sharp knife in easily visible and accessible location near stern of vessel
• A good pair of binoculars.

B. Layout Boat
• Two (2) anchors with line including an extra line on the back anchor with a crab pot float on the other end.
• One or Two PFD’s (depending on one or two man layout), the self-inflating horseshoe PFD’s are perfect for this application
• VHF Radio
• Flares
• Cell phone
• Hand operated bailer/pump, and sponge/cup for bailing
• Flashing light.

Layout Hunting 101 and More
The act of hunting layout hunt is by definition dangerous. In order to keep things as safe as possible I offer this refresher for newbies and veterans alike. If we layout hunt together this season I expect that you will have read the following more than once and are familiar with it. You never know when your role as guest may change to lifesaver, pay attention…

We set the boat with two anchors one anchor off the back, where the wind comes over the back of the boat, and one off the front to keep the boat from yawing back and forth. The rear anchor is the one bearing the weight of the boat. These lines angle down into the water to the anchor and due to this they are very susceptible of getting caught in the tender boat’s propeller. The decoys will then be deployed on the motherlines parallel to the layout boat. A large approach area for the tender will be left on the right side of the layout boat, as we approach it, into the wind, one person in the tender will grasp the inside cockpit edge of the layout, WITH BOTH HANDS, and hold on to the layout. At this point you will likely be on your knees in the tender for increased leverage. The importance of having both hands on the layout at this point is critical and cannot be stressed enough. One hand on the layout and this is what happens…the tender boat will pivot on your one hand in the wind and all of sudden you scream can’t hold on cause the broadside of the tender boat is caught in the wind and now it’s too late for two hands. If you’re the approach person, two hands always. One person holds onto the layout boat while another gently puts one foot in the layout boat and then swings the other in and sit’s down immediately. Someone else will hand you the items you have ALREADY set aside for use in the layout. Now is not the time for searching your backpack for shells, cig’s, gloves etc…put it in your pocket before we approach if you want it. There is little room in the layout for blind bags and the like. When we raft off the layout we want to spend as little time there as possible. Guns go in the layout cased. Empty cases go behind the backrest. Once in the layout get comfortable, your boots should go just to the end of the bottom board when laying down. Get the guns out, DO NOT load until the tender is out of range. Load up and lay down. Your gun lays on the outside of the boat. I put mine so that the butt of the stock is up at about my chest. Guns rested on the inside of the boat could shoot a foot and puts holes in the boat. Your eyes should be about water level, don’t be afraid to LAY down, get low. Work the birds, when the birds land or fly within the decoys, they are plenty close enough to be shooting at, you’ll know when. When you have shot a bird radio the tender and then if conditions will allow, talk the tender into the downed bird, tell us if it is crippled or dead. If the wind is blowing or whatever, point with whole arm where the bird went down. Whenever the tender boat approachs the layout for a person exchange all guns should be empty, ALWAYS. On the layout will be a VHF marine radio, flares and one of the hunters should have a cell phone.

Tending to the Layout - The only job of the tending crew is the safety of the layout. The lives of the layout hunters literally rests with the tending crew. Keep binoculars handy and use them to keep a really good eye on the gunner(s) from your tending area and be ready to move on a moment’s notice. Conditions can change rapidly and the tender must be able to respond. The tender will be moored off a buoy that is attached to the anchor, look for the buoy and there will be a clip that is clipped to the bow eyelet. Grab the anchor line with the hook, leaning out over the gunwale of the boat leads to falling out of the boat, use the hook. Now just watch the layout. The layout boat can be very difficult for other vessels to see in choppy conditions, so be vigilant for other vessels approaching the layout rig, and be ready to intercept them if necessary. The layout should always be approached from downwind so that the tender is running into the wind. The side of the tender that is open, the opposite side of the helm station, will be layed up against the boat. Tender crew grabs the layout with TWO HANDS and the swap begins. At the end of the hunt, before leaving the layout, pull the front anchor. Then once everyone is in the tender, it is easy to snag the crab pot float with the boat hook, pull the anchor and then pull on the anchor line to get the layout to the boat. I don't like being right next to the layout in 3' waves swiping the boat hook under the back of the layout trying to snag the anchor line. This way you can be 10' away snag the crab float and then bring the layout to you. Always go SLOW in the tender, when anywhere near the layout. The last thing you want to do in 1' waves where the spray curtain is all the way down is send a 3' wake at the layout and put 20gallons into it to start the day.

If you come hunting with us I expect that you have read this document and are thoroughly familiar with it. I understand that you may be along as a guest but one never knows when due to unforseen circumstances roles change and all of sudden the “guest” becomes the only person who can save someone or every one. The most critical items to remember are as follows:

• When tending the layout, two hands must be used at all times while swapping hunters.
• Be very cognizant of gun safety. The layout is tight, get comfortable and be safe.
• If you are uncomfortable hunting in the current conditions, SAY SOMETHING. I do not want to read the fear in your face.
• If you have questions - ASK, I can’t read your mind. We all asked the same questions at some point.
• The VHF radio emergency channel is 16, if things go bad, call “MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY” duck hunters in trouble and give approximate location, wait for the US Coast Guard to respond.
• Above all listen and instantly comply with orders of the captain. If the business hits the fan I do not have time to explain things, just do it.


Lessons learned the hard way:
1. Pay attention to the marine forecast (not the TV weather report) - more often than not they will get it right. It's updated about every 8 hours, check the update while you're on the water. It can change and that change could make a huge difference. Watch the weather like a hawk, be prepared to leave your gear if it gets nasty, and have all escape routes pre-planned (bays, islands, etc). Make sure you are not picking up in seas that are too big for your tender\mother boat. We've found it becomes too difficult to control the tender boat in the approach and transfer of hunters at the layout boat if the winds get too strong. We are most comfortable with waves about 1 foot. We can and do hunt in 2 foot chop, but anything more becomes NO fun for our crew, and if it's not fun anymore, then there really isn't any point to being out there.
2. Make sure that ONLY the experienced boater/layout hunter drives the tender boat. We have many visitors hunt with us, but only 3 of us that drive the tender (and Ahartz is one of them). With a 2 man layout, we can still take turns hunting/tendering.
3. Keep a sharp knife (in a case) very close to the back of the boat - it will be needed when you get a decoy line or mother-line wrapped up in the prop, which will happen eventually. If you're lucky it will happen when it doesn't end up with waves coming over the back of the boat. In fact, it’s not a bad idea to have everyone carry a knife capable of cutting lines loose from harm’s way during the hunt. When an anchor line captures a prop, it seems it only takes seconds for a boat to be turned downwind, allowing waves to begin swamping the boat over the transom.
4. PFD's - Wear a life jacket as soon as you get out of your vehicle, and don't take it off until you get back to your vehicle. It’s a good idea for the tender boat guy to keep a PFD on while he's alone in the tender. The suspender type inflatables are comfortable, easy to put-on/take-off, and don't take up much room in the boat.
5. Have at least 1 working 12V system bilge pump and the more the better. Some guys run 2, in case one fails. Buy the Rule brand, they are the best, less prone to freezing and getting fouled with debris. Also keep a big manual pump in the tender as a final back-up option.
6. I've added a large magnet to the gear list, which hopefully I'll never need to use to grapple for a gun on the bottom. Keep your guns cased in floating cases until you’re ready to lay down in the layout boat.
7. Have a 2nd line on main anchor to be able to pull your layout in without a struggle.
8. Instead of grabbing the layout boat with your hands right off the bat from the tender, utilize a short, sturdy 4ft boat hook until the crafts are securely together and moving as one in the water. The movement between the two boats can be a pinch point for limbs until they are touching securely. Boat hooks also come in handy for line handling in the decoy pickup process too.
9. NEVER, NEVER step on the deck of the layout boat while switching. The boats can move, the layout boat can roll, and the deck will be wet and slippery!
10. Clipping a line to your gun only seems logical during the hand off. Even if you have it in a floating case and you leave it cased, it’s cheap insurance.
11. Keep a bright orange flag in the layout boat so you can wave off other boaters/fishermen. Guys going out perching may not be thinking about guys in layout rigs. Some layout boats really disappear in the waves if there is a good chop. We have had a few close calls, where the flag really paid off and alerted others to our presence.
12. Develop a system of hand signals that everyone in your party understands and can recognize immediately. In case a radio goes to the bottom, batteries die, or any other type of emergency that renders the radio(s) inoperable/fails. We use as follows as our non-verbal communication.
a. A shotgun straight up in the air vertically means, bird down on the water. No sense in running the tender in if there are missed shots.
b. Hold the shotgun in the air horizontally means, comes get me. Whether the gunner in the layout boat is ready for a switch, or there is a problem...it doesn't matter....get in there and get the gunner out of the layout boat.
13. NEVER, NEVER...leave the dock without a secondary anchor on board the tender boat.
14. Take your time.
15. Whenever possible, set up and pick up the rig while it is light out. Particularly when the weather is ugly.
16. Learn the winds, currents and locations you want to hunt. Backwash is the killer of any layout rig. A quick switch of wind direction, and a great day, becomes very bad. If the backwash starts...get the heck out of dodge.
17. Keep your tender organized, no crapola on the floors or seats in the way.
18. If you hunting during freezing conditions - keep 50 lbs. of sand in the tender to use if the boat floor becomes ice covered. I also keep 100 pounds of sand in the truck for frozen boat ramps.
19. Live to hunt another day. When the weather turns ugly, leave the decoys and layout and get to shore. Do NOT hestitate. The rig isn’t going anywhere. For gosh sakes, get the guy out of the layout first and foremost. Then go to shore, empty all your duck crap out of the tender, and go out to recover your gear with an empty boat when the conditions allow. Remember you can always replace a layout boat and decoys, buy not your hunting buddies.


Dogs and layout hunting – The dog stays home. Sorry, but they're just in the way when it's serious layout hunting time. You don't need them anyways. A four-foot long landing net would be far more efficient as the tender would have to bring the dog into the fray anyways. You can bring your dog and let him just watch, but isn’t that really more torture for the beast than anything else. Big water is too dangerous for the dog, and you. (wouldn't want to try pulling wet dog back in boat, in 10 FOW)...


A few closing thoughts -
• Layout hunting should ideally be done by boaters who like to hunt. Not duck hunters who only use boats to chase ducks. So many duck hunters are not boaters. First and foremost you are out on open deep water in November. Some days we see no one else on the water.
• Don't let sight of those birds constantly working 3 miles offshore tempt you to try and sneak out there on a day with offshore winds 15 to 25 knots and gusting to 35.
• Now for the most important piece of equipment on the boat - the personal EPIRB. Made by ACR, compact enough to fit into a pocket, it sends out the 406 radio signal and GPS coordinates. Often refered to as a PLB. Cheap - only $500- seriously think of how much the other stuff costs - $1,000 layout boat (atleast), $1,000 gun, tender boat, decoys, clothes etc.....Think about it.
• Many of the ideas/suggestions included here have been learned the hard way, by guys just like you, that ended up getting really lucky and making it back to shore when things easily could have ended up with Coast Guard Search and Rescue efforts. Each of these tips could potentially save your life or that of a fellow hunter, and help you avoid many of the close-calls that so many of us have experienced over the years. But remember, even if you used everyone of these tips, you still could find yourself in a situation for which you are not prepared. Please be safe and wise everyone. If you layout hunt, print out these tips. Bring them up for discussion now with your hunting buddies. Start preparing for the worst and make that part of the good times we bond with. You can never be too cautious or have too many backups.
dthur
hunter
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:57 am

Re: layout boat hunting

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:17 am

dthur wrote:With MANY thanks from the Michigan Sportsman web group, Branta put this together, treat this as your waterfowl bible, it WILL save you or your loved ones life!

In the interest of trying to pull all the great ideas included in this thread together, I've revised the original post by Ahartz and integrated nearly all of the other suggestions/tips/ideas below. I hope this information proves useful for some of the newer guys. I know that I've picked up a couple new ideas and will be adding them to our layout rig. Good Luck to all and be safe.


SOLAS, LAYOUT DUCK HUNTING SUBSECTION-Hartz

“The SOLAS Convention in its successive forms is generally regarded as the most important of all international treaties concerning the safety of merchant ships. The first version was adopted in 1914, in response to the Titanic disaster, the second in 1929, the third in 1948 and the fourth in 1960.”

This is the convention that dictates basic equipment and actions that will be deployed during navigation, boarding a watercraft, etc…I have adopted this idea for layout hunting.

Basic Equipment List

A. Tender Boat Gear
• PFDs, recommend lifejackets or inflatable suspenders for each person aboard
• Paddle
• Flares
• VHF Radio
• Fire extinguisher
• Cell phone
• Horn
• At least 1 12V bilge pump and one Manual bilge pump as back-up
• 2 Anchors with lines, one with a easily seen float, the other is a back-up tender anchor
• Small tool set
• Emergency phone number card
• EPIRB ( The ultimate mayday call)
• Long handled fishing net, to retrieve your dead birds, works best.
• 4 foot or longer boat hook
• Dry bag with change of clothes
• Sharp knife in easily visible and accessible location near stern of vessel
• A good pair of binoculars.

B. Layout Boat
• Two (2) anchors with line including an extra line on the back anchor with a crab pot float on the other end.
• One or Two PFD’s (depending on one or two man layout), the self-inflating horseshoe PFD’s are perfect for this application
• VHF Radio
• Flares
• Cell phone
• Hand operated bailer/pump, and sponge/cup for bailing
• Flashing light.

Layout Hunting 101 and More
The act of hunting layout hunt is by definition dangerous. In order to keep things as safe as possible I offer this refresher for newbies and veterans alike. If we layout hunt together this season I expect that you will have read the following more than once and are familiar with it. You never know when your role as guest may change to lifesaver, pay attention…

We set the boat with two anchors one anchor off the back, where the wind comes over the back of the boat, and one off the front to keep the boat from yawing back and forth. The rear anchor is the one bearing the weight of the boat. These lines angle down into the water to the anchor and due to this they are very susceptible of getting caught in the tender boat’s propeller. The decoys will then be deployed on the motherlines parallel to the layout boat. A large approach area for the tender will be left on the right side of the layout boat, as we approach it, into the wind, one person in the tender will grasp the inside cockpit edge of the layout, WITH BOTH HANDS, and hold on to the layout. At this point you will likely be on your knees in the tender for increased leverage. The importance of having both hands on the layout at this point is critical and cannot be stressed enough. One hand on the layout and this is what happens…the tender boat will pivot on your one hand in the wind and all of sudden you scream can’t hold on cause the broadside of the tender boat is caught in the wind and now it’s too late for two hands. If you’re the approach person, two hands always. One person holds onto the layout boat while another gently puts one foot in the layout boat and then swings the other in and sit’s down immediately. Someone else will hand you the items you have ALREADY set aside for use in the layout. Now is not the time for searching your backpack for shells, cig’s, gloves etc…put it in your pocket before we approach if you want it. There is little room in the layout for blind bags and the like. When we raft off the layout we want to spend as little time there as possible. Guns go in the layout cased. Empty cases go behind the backrest. Once in the layout get comfortable, your boots should go just to the end of the bottom board when laying down. Get the guns out, DO NOT load until the tender is out of range. Load up and lay down. Your gun lays on the outside of the boat. I put mine so that the butt of the stock is up at about my chest. Guns rested on the inside of the boat could shoot a foot and puts holes in the boat. Your eyes should be about water level, don’t be afraid to LAY down, get low. Work the birds, when the birds land or fly within the decoys, they are plenty close enough to be shooting at, you’ll know when. When you have shot a bird radio the tender and then if conditions will allow, talk the tender into the downed bird, tell us if it is crippled or dead. If the wind is blowing or whatever, point with whole arm where the bird went down. Whenever the tender boat approachs the layout for a person exchange all guns should be empty, ALWAYS. On the layout will be a VHF marine radio, flares and one of the hunters should have a cell phone.

Tending to the Layout - The only job of the tending crew is the safety of the layout. The lives of the layout hunters literally rests with the tending crew. Keep binoculars handy and use them to keep a really good eye on the gunner(s) from your tending area and be ready to move on a moment’s notice. Conditions can change rapidly and the tender must be able to respond. The tender will be moored off a buoy that is attached to the anchor, look for the buoy and there will be a clip that is clipped to the bow eyelet. Grab the anchor line with the hook, leaning out over the gunwale of the boat leads to falling out of the boat, use the hook. Now just watch the layout. The layout boat can be very difficult for other vessels to see in choppy conditions, so be vigilant for other vessels approaching the layout rig, and be ready to intercept them if necessary. The layout should always be approached from downwind so that the tender is running into the wind. The side of the tender that is open, the opposite side of the helm station, will be layed up against the boat. Tender crew grabs the layout with TWO HANDS and the swap begins. At the end of the hunt, before leaving the layout, pull the front anchor. Then once everyone is in the tender, it is easy to snag the crab pot float with the boat hook, pull the anchor and then pull on the anchor line to get the layout to the boat. I don't like being right next to the layout in 3' waves swiping the boat hook under the back of the layout trying to snag the anchor line. This way you can be 10' away snag the crab float and then bring the layout to you. Always go SLOW in the tender, when anywhere near the layout. The last thing you want to do in 1' waves where the spray curtain is all the way down is send a 3' wake at the layout and put 20gallons into it to start the day.

If you come hunting with us I expect that you have read this document and are thoroughly familiar with it. I understand that you may be along as a guest but one never knows when due to unforseen circumstances roles change and all of sudden the “guest” becomes the only person who can save someone or every one. The most critical items to remember are as follows:

• When tending the layout, two hands must be used at all times while swapping hunters.
• Be very cognizant of gun safety. The layout is tight, get comfortable and be safe.
• If you are uncomfortable hunting in the current conditions, SAY SOMETHING. I do not want to read the fear in your face.
• If you have questions - ASK, I can’t read your mind. We all asked the same questions at some point.
• The VHF radio emergency channel is 16, if things go bad, call “MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY” duck hunters in trouble and give approximate location, wait for the US Coast Guard to respond.
• Above all listen and instantly comply with orders of the captain. If the business hits the fan I do not have time to explain things, just do it.


Lessons learned the hard way:
1. Pay attention to the marine forecast (not the TV weather report) - more often than not they will get it right. It's updated about every 8 hours, check the update while you're on the water. It can change and that change could make a huge difference. Watch the weather like a hawk, be prepared to leave your gear if it gets nasty, and have all escape routes pre-planned (bays, islands, etc). Make sure you are not picking up in seas that are too big for your tender\mother boat. We've found it becomes too difficult to control the tender boat in the approach and transfer of hunters at the layout boat if the winds get too strong. We are most comfortable with waves about 1 foot. We can and do hunt in 2 foot chop, but anything more becomes NO fun for our crew, and if it's not fun anymore, then there really isn't any point to being out there.
2. Make sure that ONLY the experienced boater/layout hunter drives the tender boat. We have many visitors hunt with us, but only 3 of us that drive the tender (and Ahartz is one of them). With a 2 man layout, we can still take turns hunting/tendering.
3. Keep a sharp knife (in a case) very close to the back of the boat - it will be needed when you get a decoy line or mother-line wrapped up in the prop, which will happen eventually. If you're lucky it will happen when it doesn't end up with waves coming over the back of the boat. In fact, it’s not a bad idea to have everyone carry a knife capable of cutting lines loose from harm’s way during the hunt. When an anchor line captures a prop, it seems it only takes seconds for a boat to be turned downwind, allowing waves to begin swamping the boat over the transom.
4. PFD's - Wear a life jacket as soon as you get out of your vehicle, and don't take it off until you get back to your vehicle. It’s a good idea for the tender boat guy to keep a PFD on while he's alone in the tender. The suspender type inflatables are comfortable, easy to put-on/take-off, and don't take up much room in the boat.
5. Have at least 1 working 12V system bilge pump and the more the better. Some guys run 2, in case one fails. Buy the Rule brand, they are the best, less prone to freezing and getting fouled with debris. Also keep a big manual pump in the tender as a final back-up option.
6. I've added a large magnet to the gear list, which hopefully I'll never need to use to grapple for a gun on the bottom. Keep your guns cased in floating cases until you’re ready to lay down in the layout boat.
7. Have a 2nd line on main anchor to be able to pull your layout in without a struggle.
8. Instead of grabbing the layout boat with your hands right off the bat from the tender, utilize a short, sturdy 4ft boat hook until the crafts are securely together and moving as one in the water. The movement between the two boats can be a pinch point for limbs until they are touching securely. Boat hooks also come in handy for line handling in the decoy pickup process too.
9. NEVER, NEVER step on the deck of the layout boat while switching. The boats can move, the layout boat can roll, and the deck will be wet and slippery!
10. Clipping a line to your gun only seems logical during the hand off. Even if you have it in a floating case and you leave it cased, it’s cheap insurance.
11. Keep a bright orange flag in the layout boat so you can wave off other boaters/fishermen. Guys going out perching may not be thinking about guys in layout rigs. Some layout boats really disappear in the waves if there is a good chop. We have had a few close calls, where the flag really paid off and alerted others to our presence.
12. Develop a system of hand signals that everyone in your party understands and can recognize immediately. In case a radio goes to the bottom, batteries die, or any other type of emergency that renders the radio(s) inoperable/fails. We use as follows as our non-verbal communication.
a. A shotgun straight up in the air vertically means, bird down on the water. No sense in running the tender in if there are missed shots.
b. Hold the shotgun in the air horizontally means, comes get me. Whether the gunner in the layout boat is ready for a switch, or there is a problem...it doesn't matter....get in there and get the gunner out of the layout boat.
13. NEVER, NEVER...leave the dock without a secondary anchor on board the tender boat.
14. Take your time.
15. Whenever possible, set up and pick up the rig while it is light out. Particularly when the weather is ugly.
16. Learn the winds, currents and locations you want to hunt. Backwash is the killer of any layout rig. A quick switch of wind direction, and a great day, becomes very bad. If the backwash starts...get the heck out of dodge.
17. Keep your tender organized, no crapola on the floors or seats in the way.
18. If you hunting during freezing conditions - keep 50 lbs. of sand in the tender to use if the boat floor becomes ice covered. I also keep 100 pounds of sand in the truck for frozen boat ramps.
19. Live to hunt another day. When the weather turns ugly, leave the decoys and layout and get to shore. Do NOT hestitate. The rig isn’t going anywhere. For gosh sakes, get the guy out of the layout first and foremost. Then go to shore, empty all your duck crap out of the tender, and go out to recover your gear with an empty boat when the conditions allow. Remember you can always replace a layout boat and decoys, buy not your hunting buddies.


Dogs and layout hunting – The dog stays home. Sorry, but they're just in the way when it's serious layout hunting time. You don't need them anyways. A four-foot long landing net would be far more efficient as the tender would have to bring the dog into the fray anyways. You can bring your dog and let him just watch, but isn’t that really more torture for the beast than anything else. Big water is too dangerous for the dog, and you. (wouldn't want to try pulling wet dog back in boat, in 10 FOW)...


A few closing thoughts -
• Layout hunting should ideally be done by boaters who like to hunt. Not duck hunters who only use boats to chase ducks. So many duck hunters are not boaters. First and foremost you are out on open deep water in November. Some days we see no one else on the water.
• Don't let sight of those birds constantly working 3 miles offshore tempt you to try and sneak out there on a day with offshore winds 15 to 25 knots and gusting to 35.
• Now for the most important piece of equipment on the boat - the personal EPIRB. Made by ACR, compact enough to fit into a pocket, it sends out the 406 radio signal and GPS coordinates. Often refered to as a PLB. Cheap - only $500- seriously think of how much the other stuff costs - $1,000 layout boat (atleast), $1,000 gun, tender boat, decoys, clothes etc.....Think about it.
• Many of the ideas/suggestions included here have been learned the hard way, by guys just like you, that ended up getting really lucky and making it back to shore when things easily could have ended up with Coast Guard Search and Rescue efforts. Each of these tips could potentially save your life or that of a fellow hunter, and help you avoid many of the close-calls that so many of us have experienced over the years. But remember, even if you used everyone of these tips, you still could find yourself in a situation for which you are not prepared. Please be safe and wise everyone. If you layout hunt, print out these tips. Bring them up for discussion now with your hunting buddies. Start preparing for the worst and make that part of the good times we bond with. You can never be too cautious or have too many backups.

Thanks a lot. This helped out a lot! I appreciate it very much
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
User avatar
ILgoosehunter12
hunter
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:27 am

Re: layout boat hunting

Postby Black Smoke » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:07 am

DT, Thanks for the information man! I hope everyone reads this whether or not they hunt out of layouts. I am trying to get into it and this would help a lot for safety purposes.
Black Smoke
hunter
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:07 am
Location: Indiana

Re: layout boat hunting

Postby Paul26 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:38 am

DT's advice is spot on.

One thing I would definitely add: go through a daytime and a night time rehearsal of deploying the boat, getting in with all your gear on, lay in the boat with your gun, practice recovering everything. Do it first in shallow water when it's warm.

You will definitely find something you need that you do not have
Paul26
hunter
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:04 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Re: layout boat hunting

Postby dthur » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:23 pm

Remenber thank Branta for the above, saved me too. This is from Lou Tish (Lock Stock & Barrel). Had to split the decoy diagram.

Layout-Set ups & Rigging
Here's the set up we use. There are a few things to note:
1. We use 200-250 decoys but you can typically do a good job getting started with about 4-6 dozen. I'd go with
BlueBills & Cans as my first purchase......along with at least ONE Goldeneye Drake and at least ONE Buffy
Drake. One of each is truly "magic".
2. Notice that I've shown the "shore". This is critical if you want Buffy & GE. We did a lot of work for 3 months
with the USFWS and this is what we observed 100% of the time. The Buffy were always on the "shore side" of the
rig of Bluebills & Redheads and the Goldeneye were always on the "lake side" of the Bluebill & Redhead.
Why........I don't know but I know that's the way they are. Both BFY & GE will come right down the center of the
rig and then swing to "their own", giving you a nice coming in shot and a crossing shot.
3. Also, be aware that these divers come in Low to the Deck and will almost always "lift" up and you'll think they
are flaring. What they're doing is checking for landing zone. If you let them, they will come in, lift up and then
drop right into the rig.
4. Definitely use a call for divers. It will work wonders and it's the only way to draw them in to you if it's foggy.
5. Note that we have open spaces around the boat and behind it. These are passage zones for the tender boat so the
tender can come in on either side of the layout and escape whichever way is necessary out the back.
6. We use a "blocker" line of big scoters and eiders. We get these birds into Lake St. Clair so it makes sense to use
them but they are also there to "tell" the birds to "drop down". It's kind of the "end of the line".
7. We use 125' mother lines (1/4” Black, New England Line) with heavy duty carabeener clips on the end with the
upwind clipped to an 8 lb. mushroom and the downwind clipped to a sash weight. We put 12-14 decoys on a
mother line, clipped to loops in the line. We will often clip two lines together. The decoys have a 3' dropper of 1/8"
military parachute chord. Tie a bowline to the deke and a bowline to the 5" lobster line clip and the clip goes onto
the loop in the mother line. This keeps the mother line about 3' below the surface and away from you prop. Prop
caught in a mother line will kill you.
If you are hunting deep water, merely keep "deep extender lines" (Loop on end and carabeener the other end)
available to merely clip on when needed.
I never use single dekes. We lost a lot of single rigged dekes in a storm. It was so dark at 1pm in the afternoon that
we had to use a spotlight to find the dekes. Mother lines were easy to find but the individual dekes were lost to the
storm (all hand painted E. Allens)
8. We put all our decoys (still rigged) into 55 Gal. Plastic Drums with holes drilled in bottom for drainage and 2
fold down, carriage handles (home depot) riveted onto the drum. When retrieving, we set the sash weight into the
bottom (still clipped to mother line) and start feeding all the decoys down into the drum. You don’t have to worry
much about order.......it takes care of itself for the most part. When you get to the end of the line, remove the
upwind 8# mushroom anchor, place the anchor in a milk crate with other anchors and clip the carabeener to the
handle. Voila.
When setting decoys, unclip the carabeener and clip on the mushroom anchor and drop at the uppermost, upwind
end for the set. As you drift down, you can set the dekes. As you remove the dekes from the drum..........do NOT
grab the decoys and pull them from the drum. Grab ONLY the mother line...and the decoys will follow and not get
tangled. If you lift the decoys out, they will not be in sequence and you will tangle. When you’ve set the entire
rig, hold the sash weight for a bit to stretch the mother line (it will also right any decoys that are upside down) and
then drop the weight.
Now, move upwind again to set the next line..............etc.
9. Don't set your rig in the dark. That's a sure way to get tangled in your mother lines and then you're in big
trouble.....it can kill you. Divers move all day long. Wait to see where they want to be and then set up there or at
least "pre scout" and set up as early as you have light to safely set the rig.
10. Carry a true Ship to Shore radio in every boat and have a backup if necessary. The coast guard doesn't like cell
phones though they are better than nothing. A ship to shore radio can be triangulated by the Coast Guard and they
can find you in an instant and that matter of minutes can be the difference between life and death.
11. Use a large Danforth anchor for your upwind boat anchor and a mushroom or small navy anchor as your
downwind anchor. The Danforth will keep your layout boat in the proper place in the rig. The smaller downwind
anchor can be pulled in and reset to adjust to a changing wind.
12. Be safe out there.....most duck hunters (especially layout shooters) don't realize how close to dying we are out
there all the time. We're in a harsh environment and at a harsh time of year. Nature is unforgiving.......be safe.
dthur
hunter
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:57 am

Re: layout boat hunting

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:57 pm

dthur wrote:Remenber thank Branta for the above, saved me too. This is from Lou Tish (Lock Stock & Barrel). Had to split the decoy diagram.

Layout-Set ups & Rigging
Here's the set up we use. There are a few things to note:
1. We use 200-250 decoys but you can typically do a good job getting started with about 4-6 dozen. I'd go with
BlueBills & Cans as my first purchase......along with at least ONE Goldeneye Drake and at least ONE Buffy
Drake. One of each is truly "magic".
2. Notice that I've shown the "shore". This is critical if you want Buffy & GE. We did a lot of work for 3 months
with the USFWS and this is what we observed 100% of the time. The Buffy were always on the "shore side" of the
rig of Bluebills & Redheads and the Goldeneye were always on the "lake side" of the Bluebill & Redhead.
Why........I don't know but I know that's the way they are. Both BFY & GE will come right down the center of the
rig and then swing to "their own", giving you a nice coming in shot and a crossing shot.
3. Also, be aware that these divers come in Low to the Deck and will almost always "lift" up and you'll think they
are flaring. What they're doing is checking for landing zone. If you let them, they will come in, lift up and then
drop right into the rig.
4. Definitely use a call for divers. It will work wonders and it's the only way to draw them in to you if it's foggy.
5. Note that we have open spaces around the boat and behind it. These are passage zones for the tender boat so the
tender can come in on either side of the layout and escape whichever way is necessary out the back.
6. We use a "blocker" line of big scoters and eiders. We get these birds into Lake St. Clair so it makes sense to use
them but they are also there to "tell" the birds to "drop down". It's kind of the "end of the line".
7. We use 125' mother lines (1/4” Black, New England Line) with heavy duty carabeener clips on the end with the
upwind clipped to an 8 lb. mushroom and the downwind clipped to a sash weight. We put 12-14 decoys on a
mother line, clipped to loops in the line. We will often clip two lines together. The decoys have a 3' dropper of 1/8"
military parachute chord. Tie a bowline to the deke and a bowline to the 5" lobster line clip and the clip goes onto
the loop in the mother line. This keeps the mother line about 3' below the surface and away from you prop. Prop
caught in a mother line will kill you.
If you are hunting deep water, merely keep "deep extender lines" (Loop on end and carabeener the other end)
available to merely clip on when needed.
I never use single dekes. We lost a lot of single rigged dekes in a storm. It was so dark at 1pm in the afternoon that
we had to use a spotlight to find the dekes. Mother lines were easy to find but the individual dekes were lost to the
storm (all hand painted E. Allens)
8. We put all our decoys (still rigged) into 55 Gal. Plastic Drums with holes drilled in bottom for drainage and 2
fold down, carriage handles (home depot) riveted onto the drum. When retrieving, we set the sash weight into the
bottom (still clipped to mother line) and start feeding all the decoys down into the drum. You don’t have to worry
much about order.......it takes care of itself for the most part. When you get to the end of the line, remove the
upwind 8# mushroom anchor, place the anchor in a milk crate with other anchors and clip the carabeener to the
handle. Voila.
When setting decoys, unclip the carabeener and clip on the mushroom anchor and drop at the uppermost, upwind
end for the set. As you drift down, you can set the dekes. As you remove the dekes from the drum..........do NOT
grab the decoys and pull them from the drum. Grab ONLY the mother line...and the decoys will follow and not get
tangled. If you lift the decoys out, they will not be in sequence and you will tangle. When you’ve set the entire
rig, hold the sash weight for a bit to stretch the mother line (it will also right any decoys that are upside down) and
then drop the weight.
Now, move upwind again to set the next line..............etc.
9. Don't set your rig in the dark. That's a sure way to get tangled in your mother lines and then you're in big
trouble.....it can kill you. Divers move all day long. Wait to see where they want to be and then set up there or at
least "pre scout" and set up as early as you have light to safely set the rig.
10. Carry a true Ship to Shore radio in every boat and have a backup if necessary. The coast guard doesn't like cell
phones though they are better than nothing. A ship to shore radio can be triangulated by the Coast Guard and they
can find you in an instant and that matter of minutes can be the difference between life and death.
11. Use a large Danforth anchor for your upwind boat anchor and a mushroom or small navy anchor as your
downwind anchor. The Danforth will keep your layout boat in the proper place in the rig. The smaller downwind
anchor can be pulled in and reset to adjust to a changing wind.
12. Be safe out there.....most duck hunters (especially layout shooters) don't realize how close to dying we are out
there all the time. We're in a harsh environment and at a harsh time of year. Nature is unforgiving.......be safe.


great tips dthur. thanks!
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
User avatar
ILgoosehunter12
hunter
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:27 am

Re: layout boat hunting

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:56 pm

thanks for the tips guys! Appreciate it
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
User avatar
ILgoosehunter12
hunter
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:27 am


Return to Diver Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests

cron