Tell me about the water levels

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Tell me about the water levels

Postby rucker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:30 am

Hi all - starting to get pumped for my annual voyage to the north central part of the state this year. Last year arrived to find a desert with all of my usual holes dry as a bone. How has this Spring and summer been? Are most of the holes all filled back up to normal year levels or still fighting the drought?

Thanks
rucker
hunter

Re: Tell me about the water levels

Postby tbossart » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:49 am

I hunt south central, south of Interstate 94. Been out and about since Aug 15 for early goose. It is very wet as of ten days ago out in that part. As we went east it gets much drier. In a word I would say hit and miss, but we did just get a good couple inches over this weekend. Try contacting the ND Game and Fish and see if they have information abotu the specific county you are looking to hunt in. Good luck
tbossart
hunter

Postby rucker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:59 am

thanks for the nugget. leaving next Friday for the opener!
rucker
hunter

Postby Feathers » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:16 pm

Rucker do some poking around on this site. http://nd.water.usgs.gov/devilslake/dat ... ation.html

You can find various lakes in ND and see how the water level has changed over a period of time. Find a lake close to you and it will give you a good idea of the local water levels compared to last month, last year, etc etc.

I'll be out on opener too. Boat parade into a brown duck beatdown....what a way to start the year. :beer:
Feathers
hunter

Postby tbossart » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:42 am

Rucker and Feathers:

Good luck on the opener! Me and my crew will be in the fields and will try to leave a few green heads for you to shoor back on the puddles! We call that weekend the " boat parade" as well...thats funny. It is literally a long line of boats on trailers, roofs and in pick up beds for sure.
tbossart
hunter

Postby Feathers » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:54 am

tbossart wrote:Rucker and Feathers:

Good luck on the opener! Me and my crew will be in the fields and will try to leave a few green heads for you to shoor back on the puddles! We call that weekend the " boat parade" as well...thats funny. It is literally a long line of boats on trailers, roofs and in pick up beds for sure.

Who said I'll be on water? Water levels have a direct correlation to duck numbers in the area. It is important to field hunters as much as water hunters.

Good luck to you as well.
Feathers
hunter

Postby rucker » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:22 pm

Yeah. Lol at water levels in the potholes not being relevant to field hunting.
rucker
hunter

Postby tbossart » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:35 am

Hell sorry to insult you guys then...HAHAHA. No doubt ya need a decent roost to hold the birds that feed in the fields, and that requires some water. Where i hunt we are dam nnear under freaking water...so that is not a problem. How did ya do? We have been seeing plenty of birds and having a great time for the first two weekends.
tbossart
hunter

Postby rucker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:20 pm

Had a very solid trip, but the birds around us were only using the fields in the afternoon, so it was tough to balance hunting with scouting. If you are hunting the birds you scouted yesterday then where are you hunting tomorrow! The best fields we got on turned out to be 95% pintails, we shot limits quick and had to sit there and watch them dump in on us after that. Still a fun sight to see! Potholes were all full of birds. Another great trip.
rucker
hunter

Postby tbossart » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:05 am

rucker wrote:Had a very solid trip, but the birds around us were only using the fields in the afternoon, so it was tough to balance hunting with scouting. If you are hunting the birds you scouted yesterday then where are you hunting tomorrow! The best fields we got on turned out to be 95% pintails, we shot limits quick and had to sit there and watch them dump in on us after that. Still a fun sight to see! Potholes were all full of birds. Another great trip.

Thats great to hear. Glad ya had a good time. We have seen the exact same thing with the ducks only eating at evening. We have NOT seen hardly any pintails, but a ton of wood ducks...whcih are wicked fun to shoot when they decoy into the fields.
tbossart
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting