Goose Hunting in September

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Goose Hunting in September

Postby duckmann » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:01 pm

Was wondering if anyone hunts for geese in September? I went for the first time this season and was instantly hooked! Seeing those monsters drop into the spread is wicked cool!

What I am wondering however is if anyone hunts for them in fields during the early part of the season? Most people I have talked with only hunt them on the water.
duckmann
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:59 pm

I don't bother....fields aren't cut....too warm....gotta carry coolers for the birds, mosquitos swarm.....not nearly enough birds to make it worthwhile!

IMO I think we should have an extended late season like in CT...they get 5 birds a day starting on Martin Luther King day and it goes a month (and that's in addition to their Sept season.....btw the estimated resident count from this past summer was 36,000)
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:02 am

.As DUKHTR said its too much trouble and little and little chance of success.You'll not likely find a good spot for early geese since they are well situated and don't need to move around.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Resident Geese

Postby duckmann » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:47 pm

I went out on September 11th, 18th, and 25. On the 11th and 18th my brother and I took 3 geese each time off the water using 8 decoys spaced around a small island in the middle of a lake. This spot I had scouted early in the Summer. The 25th we attempted a NEW spot on the Bagaduce and didn't see a single goose. . . LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!

I think the trick with hunting on the water is to find out where they are roosting all Summer (I fish a different lake each weekend and take notes) and then set-up in that location morning and evening as soon as September rolls around. Since the geese are so well situated in these positions they come back to them like clock work.

Ruffingham meadow is a great example. . . geese in that small pot hole all Summer blast them out in the morning and they come right back in the evening.

I can see how field hunting would be difficult since they seem more interested in sitting on people's lawns then feeding in the corn fields!

I would not have guessed that the resident population was that high. . . WOW. . . so why don't they have an extended late season???
duckmann
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:20 pm

duck....my reference was for CT....I participated in the survey count this past summer on two weekends and got that number from the results posted by the State to all participants....they also noted that the majority of the residents were in 'urban/suberban' settings....that Windham and Middlesex Counties had the least of all the CT counties....which surprised me alot....my frien runs a guide service in Windham County and there are at least 2000 in his flock right now....I got a couple of em over Thanksgiving and they were huge birds...and he is confdent they were migrants
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

CT Geese

Postby duckmann » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:41 am

Thanks for the clarification. . . I thought that sounded a little high for Maine. Was watching DU the other night on OLN and it showed them Goose hunting with Skyscrapers in the background. . . it just echos what you are saying about the Urban areas.

When you say HUGE do you mean a goose at around 10-15 lbs?

Duck Mann
duckmann
hunter

Postby Fowler » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:39 am

I have had good luck hunting geese in fields. Around here that is were they usually are. Usually set up in mowed fields or on blueberry fields. What few farmers we have around here hate geese so getting permission usually isn't a problem. Once in awhile we can find flock that is tending a river or saltwater marsh. Not a lot of goose hunting pressure here so 12 or so decoys in the field works for us.
Fowler
hunter

WC Geese

Postby duckmann » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:52 pm

Yes, I have driven through Harrington many times and seen them feeding off the side of Rt. 1. With all the Blueberry acreage in the surrounding towns it is hilarious how they would rather feed by the speeding cars then off on some remote field!

Great to hear the getting permission is easy. . . unfortunately Central Maine is a much different story with attitudes toward hunters. Was a shock when I first moved here from Machais.

Duck Mann
duckmann
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting