Auto-5 advice-What'da think?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Auto-5 advice-What'da think?

Postby Columbia Basin Local » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:22 am

So i picked up this gun after this season ended. 1970 12g Mag. Came original in great condition and with a synthetic set and a Hasting's barrel.
photo (8).JPG
photo (10).JPG
. Plan on using it next season. Couple of questions for those that still hunt with 'em. First, what oil do you guys use on the mag spring and recoil spring for cold weather? Second,in the owners manual and online it says to use just one friction ring and brake for all steel loads. The recommended set up for 3'' mag shells(lead) is to use all brakes/rings. Just curious, what do you think? Lastly anyone have experience with Terror chokes and the Hastings barrel? Other than Hastings flush mounted factory style choke, i don't know of any other with the Hastings threads. Any other tips to get this thing shooting well and in the blind would be appreciated!
"We're calling, because the birds won't respond to texts."- Jim Ronquest, RNT-V
Columbia Basin, home of the sagebrush duck blind!
Columbia Basin Local
hunter

Re: Auto-5 advice-What'da think?

Postby blackduck_killer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:22 am

Looks like you got yourself a great gun, I use only the 1 ring installed, try it both ways and see what works best for your gun to be sure. I hunt in below freezing temperatures with mine and I only use regular spray gun oil with the excess wiped off, but in really cold temperatures or sleet/ snow my pump guns get the nod. I have hunting partners that use Auto 5's almost exclusively and the consensus is that in extreme cold you want to use very little or no lube.
If you haven't done it yet either give it a complete tear down and cleaning or take it to a smith and get them to do the tear down and cleaning.
I don't have any experience with hasting barrels or trulock chokes, sorry.
blackduck_killer
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:06 am

The Hastings tubes are all that's needed. Some guns will work on 3" setting with the faster steel loads. Trial and error is the only way to know for sure. Light syn. motor oil is hard to beat. I always have a half quart left over after changing oil in the wife's car and just use that.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:20 am

Amount of rings for the recoil is determined by the ammo you use ........the main thing is to have enough so the
bolt stops and the system is not "Beat" to death with not enough friction rings.
As for oil and lube..............wiping of extra oil and lube was the norm and most just used a "Clean Tube" for their
operation. I never used any grease of any type and wiped off the oil or kroil oil that I used.

Great looking shotgun........you did well. You are going to love it in the field.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Bob in Maine » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:57 pm

Go online to Browning Co, they will send you an instruction manual for the A5. I have been using a 1954 vintage for waterfowl since 1961, no problems yet.
Bob in Maine
hunter

Postby STEVE IN SOCAL » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:29 pm

I got the same model last year for $750...original stock and camo synthetic...inv plus with tubes. I found the one ring worked best for me. It was a single shot on cold mornings til I figured out the one ring trick...think I heard about it here.
STEVE IN SOCAL
hunter

Postby Columbia Basin Local » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:20 am

Steve, You have a Belguim Mag? Did it come with a Jap barrel? You use just the one brake/one ring set-up for normal(1400fps) steel loads, not the full 3rings/2 brake set-up?
Columbia Basin Local
hunter

Postby STEVE IN SOCAL » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:21 pm

I blew up the Belgian barrel shooting steel out of it. replaced it with a hastings barrel.
I use the light setting for steel.
STEVE IN SOCAL
hunter

Postby Windrider » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:47 pm

One ring for steel. The exception to that rule may be hypersonics or speedball. Those have some stout recoil. This would need to be tested at various temps.

Hasting barrels are awesome. Super stiff. I have a couple. No terror choke needed for good patterns.

No lube at any time for me.
Windrider
hunter

Postby Columbia Basin Local » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Seems to be a consensus that the Hastings dont need aftermarket chokes. How rare is that? Anyways i keep reading the same thing over and over so it must be true. Light oil in warm weather and same to none in cold weather much like an Inertia gun. Also the one ring/one brake setup is also universal. Thanks fellas. Good to get advice and save some time with my own trial and errors. Much appreciated. To often you'll get advice on things like chokes and it will start out "Every gun is different.............! No sh-t sherlock. Didn't ask for the soapbox speech. I pattern, point blank. But you could ask me about my guns and I'll give at least two chokes and four loads that work best so far. Thanks again :beer: Can't wait to get to the range
Columbia Basin Local
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum