New duck hunter, shotgun ? (Hi-Standard 1970s shotgun)...

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

New duck hunter, shotgun ? (Hi-Standard 1970s shotgun)...

Postby SirPuddleDuck » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:01 pm

Well, a buddy wants to start duck hunting and one of the 1st things is a gun. He's trying to keep start-up costs down, he has a Hi-Standard Field Classic 12ga 2-3/4" in fixed modified. Shotgun looks in good+ condition for age bracket, about a late 60s to early 70s gun with 28" vent rib double bead. Steel receiver, looks alot like a Mossberg action w/single action bar. Will be using regular steel stuff, not blindside or the cloud.

bottomline...anyone heard of any ''issues'' running modern steelshot through these?? No blowups, etc. I surmise we might lengthen the forcing cone if necessary but really doubt it. Also f.y.i. it will all be over decoys 20-30yds HOPEFULLY :wink:

thanks!!!
SirPuddleDuck
hunter

Re: New duck hunter, shotgun ? (Hi-Standard 1970s shotgun)..

Postby winchester1852 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:37 pm

nothing bigger then 4 shot and it will be fine.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:14 pm

winchester1852 wrote:nothing bigger then 4 shot and it will be fine.

X2 and at your stated 20-30yd range should produce some very clean kills, given he holds up his end of the deal of course.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby SirPuddleDuck » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:08 pm

I was thinking 2s due to, occasional geese. The choke isn't the issue it's the steel content of the barrel that's why the post.

I've been duck hunting since before steelshot, I'm covering lots of other stuff with him already. He's got the biggies already from other hunting...camo...don't move...patience.

And I've been prepping him some I told him to take the shotgun out, just practice swinging while constantly pulling the trigger. To avoid the sudden STOP when shooting. And butt-belly-beak-bang. Inside the dekes follow the beaks. etc

WOW I'm gettn' pumped a bit now already!!! ANYWAYS...any other info on the gun will be helpful :thumbsup:
SirPuddleDuck
hunter

Postby gseith » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:06 am

I've been hunting with an 50's fox model-b choked m/f for few years and have been shooting steel down it. There's a lot of conflict about whether or no it's safe, but I've talked to multiple old timers that have been old timers that have been doing it for years. I will say that I wont shoot anything larger than 2's.
gseith
hunter

Postby jbjb5273 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:35 am

A close friend of mine is doing the same this year. He has an old Stevens 12G that he wants to take. So I ended up doing some research on this the other day. From what I read, it has a lot to do with the gun. You have to remember these old school guns were never meant to fire steel lol So before doing anything I would talk to a gun smith. Just in case. Good Luck this year!
Better Take um....... One more pass.......
jbjb5273
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum