Duck Hunting Forum banner

Decoy anchors for long lines

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  duckmann 
#1 ·
I wanted to share a tip I picked up from my hunting Down East. Those guys use lobster bait bags for anchor systems. You can buy 12 for $8.00 and modify their weight buy adding or removing rocks that you can pick-up at your hunting location. Very cool. I even use them as boat anchors.

#3 ·
I also use window sash eights...in addition, I make my own 3 pounders, which work great for foamer dekes/Herters and even individually for large goose floaters (especially when ice and grasses come along with the dropping tides)

your concept is good, although I hunt from a boat for seaducks....collecting rocks seems like another chore to burn time (IMO), thanks for the tip though....thanks for sharing...you never know when in an emergency we need to fashion an anchor.

TIP: keep an onion sack in the cuddy box! They are very handy in a crunch!!!

#4 ·
DUKHTR,

Yes, you are completely right. . . it is another chore. . . and it is amazing how many times you can't find rocks on the Maine coast when you REALLY need them!!

We hunt quite frequently by carrying all our gear to our hunting location so we always try and save weight where we can. So, the bags work good for our situation. Can see how having a big boat would make this completely unnecessary.

Am curious how you make the 3 lb'ers?

Duck Mann

#5 ·
another option I have seen mentioned on other sites: 5 lb dumbells

I make three pounders out of mega sized muffin tins...really, get the largest aluminum tins at the market (BigLots has two tins of six muffins for a buck)....I get my lead from tweo sources....wheel weights and roofers. The wheel weights are not pure, but they are dense.....I melt the lead in a smelt pot I have (got it from Cabelas years ago for approx $35), 'skim off the paint and crud, and then pour six weights...I use heavy gauge wire from pants hangers for the loop (bent in on the ends to ensure it is secure) So, for a buck and a little time (about a half hour per six) I have anchors that will hold the heaviest goose decoy in tide and ice!!! They will also securely hold a string of foamers.

#7 ·
those muffin tins are perfect...they peel away from the anchor with no effort, are cheap and disposable....I guess you could re-shape them for continued use, but they are so inexpensive, why bother...you do not need any grease or no-stick....that will only cause the lead to splatter

#8 ·
Group,

I currently use lead weights for my decoys and probably lose one or two every season. With all the bands on lead shot and now even lead sinkers I am beginning to think that maybe I should change to something "less toxic" to the environment. I have been thinking about using homemade concrete weights next year. Has anyone made or used concrete weights with any luck?

Duck Mann

#9 ·
Duckmann....I suppose they would work OK for awhile, but then I think they would tend to erode from the water exposure, bouncing around the boat etc. The lead that has become a toxicity issue is that ingested by fowl....a lead decoy weight sinking into the mud may have a long lasting effect, but would take a real long time to 'bleed' into the environment. Of course, I am no biological environmental scientist....just a common man's thought/logic.

#10 ·
I agree with DUKHTR about the lead,its the small stuff that is a problem.Anything to big for birds to swallow is not an issue.Solid lead takes forever to erode,thats why they still find ancient artifacts made of lead that look like they were made yesterday.
If you don't want to use lead you could try steel bars cut to size and drill a hole for attaching a line,or just weld an eye to it.

#11 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. Glad to hear some comments before I invest to much time making concrete weights and have them be worthless. I have never worked with concrete so I appreciate the assistance.

Have heard so much about lead shot and now sinkers that I was concerned that maybe I was also contributing to the decay of the environment. . . but from DUKHTRs feedback I think that I am probably being over cautious.

For next season, I do have a bunch of old horse shoes. . . I wonder what they are made of. . . !!!???!!! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.