SLUG GUN

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

SLUG GUN

Postby gvegas88 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:31 pm

Yeah well I found a deal on a slug barrel last weekend and bought it and a scope for my Nova pump. I don't really know anything about slug guns except their max range is 150 yards, but i haven't sighted mine in, so i guess i don't really know that. Any info or advice would much be appreciated but i can't sight it in for about 3 weeks. thanks :help:
gvegas88
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:46 pm

Good luck shooting at 150y :eek:
Realistic range is 100y max.
Purchase a variety of slugs and see which ones pattern the best for your gun.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Re: SLUG GUN

Postby Mattquack » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:06 pm

gvegas88 wrote:Yeah well I found a deal on a slug barrel last weekend and bought it and a scope for my Nova pump. I don't really know anything about slug guns except their max range is 150 yards, but i haven't sighted mine in, so i guess i don't really know that. Any info or advice would much be appreciated but i can't sight it in for about 3 weeks. thanks :help:

You didn't need a slug barrell. All you needed is a daisy .177 cal pellet gun for those little swamp deer you'all got out there. :umm: :toofunny:
Mattquack
hunter

Postby JSODEP5338 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:38 am

:toofunny: that made me chuckle
I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!
JSODEP5338
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:27 am

Not much to tell about slug guns. Pattern a few slugs and see what works best. I shoot Lightfield 2 3/4. They work well for me.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Re: SLUG GUN

Postby gone winchester » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:14 am

Mattquack wrote:
gvegas88 wrote:Yeah well I found a deal on a slug barrel last weekend and bought it and a scope for my Nova pump. I don't really know anything about slug guns except their max range is 150 yards, but i haven't sighted mine in, so i guess i don't really know that. Any info or advice would much be appreciated but i can't sight it in for about 3 weeks. thanks :help:

You didn't need a slug barrell. All you needed is a daisy .177 cal pellet gun for those little swamp deer you'all got out there. :umm: :toofunny:

:toofunny: Thats a good one :thumbsup:
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Postby CrackerJackShot » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:21 pm

Uh, I just don't like slugs.... I personally wouldnt shoot anything past about 50 yards with it. The bullet just moves too slow. It's that simple. It's heavy, but moves about as fast as a shotshell. your dropping to like 1300 ft. lbs. of energy at only 50 yards. That ain't enough for me.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Michigan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:09 pm

One thing to remember. Rifled barrel = saboted slug, smooth barrel = rifled slug. If you try to use a rifled slug in a rifled barrel, the slug produces counterspin wich sends it off in any direction but straight once it leaves the muzzle. Using a saboted slug in a smooth barrel produces somewhat of the same problem since there would be no spin produced at all. :thumbsup:
Michigan
hunter

Postby doogie494 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:12 pm

:withstupid:

Like he said about the slugs. is it a rifled barrel or smoothbore? if it is rifled i suggest the Federal Barnes Expanders, and while 150 yards can be achieved, i think the 100 yard mark is more likely. i have never had to shoot outside of about 60. What scope did you get? is the mount on the barrel or on the receiver?

as far as the ballistics, 1560fps at 100yards with 1772 ft/ lbs. Thats out of a 2 3/4- 3/4oz slug. i think thats plenty.
Doug

Postby CrackerJackShot » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:15 pm

Hey Doogie. I hadn't seen those slugs before. You are right about those, they carry over 1500 at 100. That is still borderline for me but supposedly you only need 1500 ft. lbs. to efficiently kill a whitetailed deer. And if you have a smoothbore I would suggest getting a rifled slug barrel. I believe that ends up being more accurate than a rifled slug....
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:41 am

Crackerjack, if you don't like slugs then what do you use?
goosecaller
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:00 pm

Um, a deer rifle? That would be what the majority of people use right? I have a .270 Loaded with Hornadys 140 gr Light Mag load it puts about 2700 ft lbs at 100 yards. And its ballistic coefficient is really good so the energy carries pretty well too. I can take a whitetail down at 350 yards without thinkin twice, after that, it gets a lil risky.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Michigan » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:07 pm

I think everyone would choose to use a rifle if they could but some states have zones where the only legal weapons to use during firearm season are shotguns or muzzle loaders due to the increased concentration of people and buildings in those areas.
Michigan
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:27 pm

I wasn't trying to be rude or anything. I just thought we were talking about shotguns. I am not allowed to use a rifle where I hunt.
goosecaller
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:32 pm

No No its ok. I didnt know yall were only talking about shotguns.... lol. In that case I would maybe go with a muzzle loader. I think its Remington that has come out with a great system for them. However, I dont know their ballistics very well at all.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Michigan » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:17 pm

A muzzle loader is a bit more accurate and has quite a bit more energy down range then a shotgun because of it's rifle like bullets and the rifling's rate of twist. It has a bit more range then a shotgun at least from what I've experienced but has nowhere near the effective range of a rifle so one can still use it in a shotgun only zone.
Michigan
hunter

Postby doogie494 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:12 pm

CrackerJackShot wrote: That is still borderline for me but supposedly you only need 1500 ft. lbs. to efficiently kill a whitetailed deer.

I wouldn't worry about these being efficient after you see the exit wound. they leave a big enough hole for beer holder.
Doug

Postby CrackerJackShot » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:25 pm

The exit wound can be misleading. Technically you dont want your bullet to exit in the first place. If you bullet stops inside the animal then you know you got your FULL usage of the Ft Lbs. the bullet had at that distance.
In other words, if you have a bullet carrying 2000 ft lbs at 100 yards and the bullet goes through the animal... well then theres left over energy the bullet still has. If it stops in the animal it unloaded the entire 2000 ft lbs into the animal. That is what gives a bullet that knock down power.
I dunno, Im not saying that yall are wrong for shooting deer with them or anything like that. I just doubt myself ever using one. I wouldnt feel comfortable with it.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby doogie494 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:52 pm

Interesting! I've never had one move more then 10yards after the shot. And i would much rather have an exit wound, blood coming out of two holes is much better then one. I also understand you not feeling comfortable with a shotgun, it isn't for everyone. But understand, and im not trying to start an argument here, this is just my opinion. Just about anyone can shoot deer at 150-200 yards with a properly set-up rifle. just put the crosshais on and shoot. you don't always have that option with a slug gun. Like i said this is my opinion, im not trying to start a war.
Doug

Postby CrackerJackShot » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:49 pm

Nope, sorry. Maybe your not very used to shooting deer with a rifle. Its not that easy, especially with wind an other things to account for. Im not saying its the hardest thing in the world. But there are quite a few people who can't do it very well.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Michigan » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:59 pm

Like me :toofunny:
Michigan
hunter

Postby doogie494 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:07 am

To each their own, but for the record, i have plenty of rifle expierience. The point i was trying to make is anyone can set up in a tree and watch a deer in a cornfield 300 yards away and if its a calm day, my 8 year old daughter could drop it. some people have a 10x 40 scope, and some have a scope the size of the hubble, then its not that hard. Use your rifle with open sites then i will have to agree with you. As far as wind, well i don't know what you do, but i carry my ballistics info right on the stock of my rifle, this gives me Wind drift info. I think the other point i was trying to make is that most shotguners don't have 10x40scopes. they have to wait till the deer gets closer and they have open sites. to me it is more sporting. there are some places where the rifle will out proform the shotgun and there are places that the shotgun will out proform the rifle. if you think its difficult to use a rifle then you better not even thiink of using a shotgun. But in my opinion you should try it someday, you might like the challenge.
Last edited by doogie494 on Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug

Postby CrackerJackShot » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:06 am

Well Im not the kind of person that over powers my scope. I have forgotten what the exact magnification is. But its CERTAINLY not 40. And thats amazing if your 8 year old daughter could make that shot!!! There are tons of grown men who cant. But anyways, I dont believe in being able to stare the deer in the eye at 200 yards when I look through the scope. I limit myself in that way cause thats overkill.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:21 pm

cracker, wind drift is a non issue at the distances u are talking about, and there arent many 8 year olds out there that can shoot that couldnt put the crosshairs on that deer and pull the trigger. point and shoot. 300 yards is still inside point blank for most any deer rifle.
1500 ft lbs is more than is needed for bear. 600ft lbs of energy is the common number for a deer. ur 270 can do that at 1000 yards.

if u had ever seen a deer shot with a big expanding slug from a rifled shotgun, u would have nothing bad to say about them. the load i shoot in the 10ga has well over 2 TONS of energy. and it puts a 3/4" hole in, and a 12" hole out if it contacts anything solid. thats why i shoot for the shoulder. it will dang near take the far quarter off the animal! ur little 270 cant do that. :smile: its like throwing a boat anchor through them. critters dont go far like that!!
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby doogie494 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:46 pm

pennsyltucky wrote:cracker, wind drift is a non issue at the distances u are talking about, and there arent many 8 year olds out there that can shoot that couldnt put the crosshairs on that deer and pull the trigger. point and shoot. 300 yards is still inside point blank for most any deer rifle.
1500 ft lbs is more than is needed for bear. 600ft lbs of energy is the common number for a deer. ur 270 can do that at 1000 yards.

if u had ever seen a deer shot with a big expanding slug from a rifled shotgun, u would have nothing bad to say about them. the load i shoot in the 10ga has well over 2 TONS of energy. and it puts a 3/4" hole in, and a 12" hole out if it contacts anything solid. thats why i shoot for the shoulder. it will dang near take the far quarter off the animal! ur little 270 cant do that. :smile: its like throwing a boat anchor through them. critters dont go far like that!!

:toofunny: man them things do leave a big nasty hole in them don't they!! :toofunny:
Doug

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum