Locals with training experience?

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Locals with training experience?

Postby JTrottaNY » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:24 am

I recently picked up a new partner; Moose is a 3.5 month old lab/chessie mix. The 3rd day we got him we went for a trip to the lake and I tossed a bumper knowing full-well I might have to wade out and get it- to my amazement he jumped in brought it back and dropped it at my feet! This will be my first go-round training a sporting dog but he seems very eager to learn. We have been working on basic obedience and simple retrieves on land and water...

I would love to meet up with someone local that has experience with this and learn some drills and techniques to train him properly. I dont expect to have a world class dog, just a bestfriend that I can hunt with.
JTrottaNY
hunter

Re: Locals with training experience?

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:36 am

Congrats on the new pup! Where are you located?
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby duckdoyle » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:52 pm

start with obedience, get that 110% and work from there out. Go to a pk class at a dog school and this will start a working relationship and make the pup social. Go easy, the dog will have its whole life to retrieve, what you teach it know will last it's lifetime. Start with a solid foundation and the dog can learn anything.
duckdoyle
hunter

Postby JTrottaNY » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:09 pm

I am in Rennsslear Co. We have been working on the basics; come, sit, down, stay etc... retrieving is just a simple game of fetch at this point hopefully we can progess into some acctual field work eventually.
Attachments
CT270.26418017-1-x.jpeg
CT270.26418017-1-x.jpeg (56.66 KiB) Viewed 533 times
JTrottaNY
hunter

Postby h2o dog » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:45 pm

JTrottaNY wrote:I am in Rennsslear Co. We have been working on the basics; come, sit, down, stay etc... retrieving is just a simple game of fetch at this point hopefully we can progess into some acctual field work eventually.

PM me your phone number. I train seven days a week. Have training properties all over the capital district. Training group is 2-3 of us right now. Your more then welcome to train. There are a bunch of people in the area that train also....most are knuckleheads. And we train to make our dogs better hunters. Most of the knuckleheads in the area that train too, think they're hunters but they aren't really. They just train to say they have a good hunting dog.
JoKen's Sir Lucas Bartholomew - "Lucas"
Tallmadge's Miss Eloise Lucia JH - "Ellie"
HR Tallmadge's Spirit of Light SH - "Boggs"
h2o dog
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting