Welcome & Introductions

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Where are you from?

North West (Reno, Fallon, Fernley, Hawthorne, CC, CV, Yerington )
66%
South (Las Vegas, Henderson, Pahrump, Alamo, Mesq, Overton. etc )
32%
East (Panaca, Ely, Elko, Pioche, Winnemucca)
3%

Total votes : 151

Re: Welcome & Introductions

Postby Big Bang » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:41 pm

Never did the welcome thing but been on here for maybe a year or less. Have read a lot of stuff on here. In southern Nevada. Willing to take people out and show them what the southern part of the state has to offer. I have hunted here for 35+ years and have hunted all over the state with my son for the most part. We had a really good year this year on ducks down here between my son and I. Both our names are Mike so it is not hard to forget.
why i oughta
i didnt ask You to dance, I said You look fat in those pants!
When a Mime passes away , do we have a moment of noise????
Big Bang
hunter

Postby CSL » Thu May 24, 2012 7:20 pm

Relocating to the Reno Area from the peoples republic of Oregon, So tell me how is the duck and goose hunting in Northern Nevada? Involved in commercial real estate, train, breed, English Springer Spaniels for field and trial, avid upland and waterfowl hunter. What words of wisdom can you share.

Chas
CSL
Newb

Postby GaryBHunting » Thu May 24, 2012 11:04 pm

CSL wrote:Relocating to the Reno Area from the peoples republic of Oregon, So tell me how is the duck and goose hunting in Northern Nevada? Involved in commercial real estate, train, breed, English Springer Spaniels for field and trial, avid upland and waterfowl hunter. What words of wisdom can you share.

Chas

Welcome!

Northern Nevada isn't bad for a desert but you might be a little disappointed considering where you came from. :welcome:
Hang out and you will pick up some tips and maybe some invites. It's a good bunch of sportsmen on this board.
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby CSL » Fri May 25, 2012 5:02 pm

Thanks, looking forward to investigating the area.
CSL
Newb

Postby NVduck » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:59 pm

Howdy I live in Dayton now but grew up in the carson valley. I hunt mason valley and washoe the most. However, I am looking for anyone with info about hunting lohontan Res
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Postby ram4gordon » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:31 am

my name is gordon me and arty will be at stillwater greenhead and washoe lake as we did not draw deer tags again so ducks and geese will be main targets i live in sparks good luck
ram4gordon
hunter

Postby NVduck » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:25 am

I need to go check out greenhead this season. I typicaly hunt Washoe and Mason as well as some property i have access to in the Carson Valley.
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Postby patrick0685 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:43 pm

Hi all, new to Nevada, Vegas area, and new to duck hunting. looking to pick up some knowledge of the area and how to shoot some ducks! Got a good pup that is more than willing to bring back anything that falls out of the sky. Hope to see some of you out there
patrick0685
hunter

Postby dhaddict » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Hello all. My name is Kevin. New to the forum as of today, and fairly new to the sport (went on my first duck hunt last year). I was able to go out a few times last year and loved it. I am in the Elko area but find myself traveling to the Reno and Carson City area quite regularly. If anyone knows some good spots to hunt around the Elko area, I would greatly appreciate the information if willing to share. Thanks. Happy Hunting!!
dhaddict
Newb

Postby Jamesp » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Hello Folks. I just ran across this forum and wanted to join up and hopefully meeet likeminded individuals. I Live in Vegas and have never hunted out here. I am looking to go out before the Dove season closes. I was in Colorado on opening day, and wow they where everywhere. :hi:
Jamesp
hunter

Postby canback » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:50 pm

hello my name is ryan.i usually hunt stillwater and washoe.getting the gitters for opening day......get to watch alot of the local geese fly over work every morning.
canback
Newb

Postby Plato » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:27 pm

HEY HEY!!!!!! Glen here in C.C. Ready for the opener in StillWater with the Ol lady and dog!! Still no boat but it'll work out.
DropDux, glad to see you and the guys on this forum or running it what have you. Maybe we'll shoot by say "HI".
Not working at this time.....more time to hunt!! Have fun, good luck, and be safe!! ROMNEY 2012!!
Plato
Newb

Postby Old Duck Getter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:41 pm

:welcome: all. I've missed the last few folks signing on. Sorry, with work and fixing cars - so I don't have to walk, time just gets by. Hope you all have a good season.

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Postby MnNorseman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:32 am

Hello All,

I'm Mikey and I'm originally from Minnesota. I'm 32 and currently moved to Reno. I've been a Mississippi Flyway hunter most of my life. My wife's a geologist and we relocated from Northern Minnesota to Reno. So.. This will be my first season out here. I've only been in the area few months and finally stumbled upon this website. I've talked to the guys at Scheels, Cabela's and whoever I know that is a duck hunter (Which seems to be few in my neighborhood) I get it that this isn't the prairie potholes and isn't like home, but I'm a very traditional hunter and very polite. I'm a Water science guy and have found myself in Reno and currently without work and plenty of time to hunt ducks. I've been scouting as much as possible and trying to understand the certain rules per Management area but it sure isn't Home. I just got back from North Dakota with my buddy from home and I'm guessing it's not going to be like that here?! Anyway, I've got plenty of decoys a few layout blinds a Carstens' sneak boat and a willingness to be an ethical, polite, respectful tag a long or if you meet me out there I'll be more than happy to introduce myself and get out of your way. I'm not here to step on toes or take spots people have hunted for generations.

I realize there's little water and a ton of city birds. I'm guessing with the scattered pockets of ag within the city the birds can roost and feed without even being bothered by hunters. I'm also sure it's very competitive with the lack of water just as it does in nature, so I understand. I am just looking for tips on how to hunt the area, the rules in area's that I'm not aware of any pointers on decoys that I have that may not be found in nature here. ( I get that it doesn't matter if I put out my 8 dozen Bill spread when Diver hunting) So how about I have Mallards, Ring Bills, Buffies, Goldeneyes and Cans. No sprigs, widgeon, teal, gadwall or etc.

Thanks so much for letting me introduce myself and I look forward to anyone offering a word.

Sincerely,

Mikey & Odin
MnNorseman
hunter

Vegas hunting

Postby Austindavis » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:15 pm

Hello I'm Austin. I'm from northern Utah but just moved to Vegas 1 1/2 years ago. Duck hunting was my passion, but now I live in this God forsaken town at 16 years old. I've been hunting since I was 12 and need to start again. Where can I hunt some duckies close to here? Thanks
-Austin
Austindavis
Newb

Postby ibskibumaps » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:20 am

Hey Everyone!
We are Chris and Michaelyn: a husband and wife hunting duo
We both are completely new beginners, and living in Las Vegas area for over a year now. We have a Chesadore who is a bird dog at heart and we always wanted to step in to the world of duck hunting. So here we are ready and willing to learn what we can and have some fun along the way.
ibskibumaps
Newb

Postby jakeh912 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:02 pm

So thought id say hi.. my name is jake as you can see im very creative with my screen name i just pcs to nellis afb and living here for a little while.. im from alabama.. and been hunting all my life im a avid duck hunter and never really got to big into deer but my mom deer hunts me and my dad where the duck hunters.. i also used to hunt just about every thing else was what ever was in season lol.. but since ive joined the AF havent had much time to hunt and something im looking to get back into and really curious what there is to hunt in the las vegas area? if there is any this is a little bit of a environmental shock for me im used to trees and woods lol
jakeh912
Newb

Postby duck roaster » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:59 pm

After 30 years of living in Alaska and Washington I will be moving back to Fallon. I cant wait to hunt the places I did when I was a kid. Also looking forward to meeting some waterfowl hunters. :beer:
duck roaster
Newb

Postby MuddyWaders » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:05 am

Hello to All,
I am new to the site but not new to waterfowling. I have been visiting your site and reading for quite some time and thought I would join. I live in Las Vegas and wanted to introduce myself and thank the powers whoever they may be for creating and maintaining a venue such as this.
Happy Shooting,
MuddyWaders
In the eyes of a tyrant the patriot is a terrorist...
We need to vote politicians who bribe voters out of office...
The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.. Aldo Gucci
MuddyWaders
hunter

Postby NVduck » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:01 pm

Welcome to DHC!!! :welcome: :welcome:
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Welcome & Introductions

Postby crashmurray » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:10 pm

Hey all new last year to hunting in general I really like it and Nevada has a selection forsure. My hunting buddy moved states so have no one to go out with any more. I am currently living in Carson Valley and jump shooting ducks and geese when I can. My name is Brandon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
crashmurray
Newb

Postby NVduck » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Hey brandon
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Postby Tyrtruion » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:15 pm

Guess I'll introduce myself here in the Nv forum now...
Earlier this year moved to Reno but lived near Susanville for the last 5 years. Got a pup that I've been training and it's evident that I have no idea how to train but she loves it and is surprising me every day in the pond. Always looking for huntin buddies. Be it ducks, pig, deer, elk, women...
My name is Owen
True short story:
I once worked all night long, got home, grabbed all my gear and headed to the marsh... Got set up right before shoot time, sat down in the tules... And woke up about 2 hours later with a mallard sitting on my decoy bag. I gave him a free pass cause he had balls... Or it might have been because I still hadn't loaded my gun.
:fingerhead:
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby Morning Flight » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:30 pm

Welcome Owen. Good luck with the dog, and that's one heck of a story!
Morning Flight
hunter

Postby crashmurray » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:21 am

Hey nvduck :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
crashmurray
Newb

PreviousNext

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting