Welcome & Introductions

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Where are you from?

North West (Reno, Fallon, Fernley, Hawthorne, CC, CV, Yerington )
66%
South (Las Vegas, Henderson, Pahrump, Alamo, Mesq, Overton. etc )
32%
East (Panaca, Ely, Elko, Pioche, Winnemucca)
3%

Total votes : 152

Re: Welcome & Introductions

Postby GaryBHunting » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:47 pm

:welcome: BB. You hae some really good folks up there that I'm sure will help you get on some birds. Some you have probably already heard about is Stillwater and Greenhead which are close to Fallon. I'll let the experts of the area fill you in. Good luck!!

Gary
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:21 am

To all the new kids on the block.......welcome and hope this 2010 seson is a great one, for all.

Time to get things ready, it is almost time !!

Stamps and hip #. Good hunting.
Last edited by Sagebrush on Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby gamedog » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:40 pm

Hi, name is Rusty. Been in the Reno area most my life- except for stints in the military and college. Love duck hunting and used to hunt Nevada and California but with the economy and the loss of my best hunting partner this year (black lab named Jackson) I'm sticking close to Reno. Love big game hunting and and when I go I'm always bringing along my shotgun and a few decoys for the ponds.

Great site and look forward to "lurking" and helping out when I have something to contribute.
gamedog
Newb

Postby waterfowler76 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:33 pm

:welcome:
I love the smell of marsh gas in the morning!
waterfowler76
hunter

Postby SSDuck » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:30 pm

My name is Shawn, I live in the North Valley's. I am fairly new to hunting in Nevada. I found this forum and found some usefull infomation so I figured I sign up.
SSDuck
Newb

Postby Old Duck Getter » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:55 pm

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Postby population control » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:10 am

Been reading this site for a few weeks now, the info here is great!!! I have been hunting big game since I was a kid, but am new to waterfowling. I am excited to learn. Good luck to all!!!
-PC
population control
hunter

Postby GaryBHunting » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:04 am

Enjoy the forum!

GB
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby ScoNv » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:43 am

Hey guys been looking at this forum for awhile and decided to chime in....saw some pics from someone took out in Stillwater one day that we were out there in the ice...good thing we decided to leave the boat on the trailer that day because the motor needed fixing... :lame: Been hunting all my life mostly in Nevada but grew up in Northern Idaho...Good luck to everyone Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! :beer:
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow, what a ride!"
ScoNv
hunter

Postby pdxer503 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:40 pm

hey my name is sam, im pretty new to the area.i have been duck hunting for about ten years in oregon on private property.so im not sure how it goes down here but im looking forward to getting out and having some fun shooting birds..but ill go hunt anything.anybody want to go hunt/or shoot for fun send me a message. :hi:
pdxer503
Newb

Postby NVDuckHunter76 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Hey Guys...My name is Bryan, I'm a So Cal Transplant to the Reno Area (Many years ago). I pretty much hunt everything from Ducks, Upland Game and Big Game. Still hunt CA every year for Deer and Hog. Enjoy gettin out and hunting ducks when I have the time. My family has owned a small property on the Truckee (14 acres) and thanks to Washoe County, the congested area shoot map gobbled up the area a few years back. Hopefully, they will redo the map again and at least allow the discharge of shotguns in the area. The ducks tease me everytime I sit on the deck.

Would like to share some stories here and read a few myself. :beer:
NVDuckHunter76
hunter

Postby Six-Gun » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:59 pm

Hello there - my name is Luis. I'm a month or so away from executing military orders from the Omaha, Nebraska region out to Las Vegas/Henderson. The 2010 waterfowl season made for a very successful rookie year, most of which was spent in eastern Nebraska and western Iowa. There was a lot of learning and plenty of great hunts. I look forward to carrying over into 2011 with some new territory to explore in Nevada and some stories to share on this board. I actually posted a thread asking about Overton WMA's hunting rules before I noticed this thread. It also includes some pics from a few of the hunts from the past season here in Nebraska/Iowa.

This place looks to hold a lot of info and I look forward to some more quality learning experiences on this board.
If you've never shot your decoys, you're probably a skybuster ;)
Six-Gun
hunter

Postby Psiclone » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:39 pm

Hey. Just got back into bird hunting and looking at trying my hand at ducks this year. Been about 15 years since the last time I went. :) Any pointers or help is appreciated.
Psiclone
hunter

Postby BaldBeaver » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:48 am

Hello everyone. My name is Jason Peterson, and I am a TSgt in the Air Force. I have been hunting Big Game since I was 12 years old and have had a fair amount of success in doing it. However after moving out west and being unable to hunt due to lack of a tag I started thinking about expanding my horizons. I would like to get into duck hunting and was wondering if anyone would be willing to take me under their wing. I would like to even just tag along on a hunt somewhere down here in the Southern part of the state, if someone would be willing to let me. Please feel free to contact me @ bowtechnv@gmail.com. I would be greatly appreciative.

TSgt Jason Peterson
2011/2012 Inaugral Season

Mallard-5 Drake
GWT-2 '
Pintail-1
Bufflehead-1
BaldBeaver
hunter

Postby mntview23 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:11 am

Hi everyone I'm Zach, I moved to Las Vegas about 8 months ago from Colorado and finally am starting to have time to hunt again. unlike Colorado there aren't tons of places to hunt here it seems like. I would love to find some people down south here that are looking for another person to come along, I have no problem driving! Look forward to meeting you guys! If you have an open spot feel free to call/text 970-231-3045. i can go weekdays or weekends!

Thank you!
mntview23
Newb

Postby nvduckdog » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:44 pm

Hello, I've been lurking along time(years). Finally signed up in October.I live in Washoe Valley (25 years).I hunt Washoe, Stillwater, Greenhhead, 2mile(maxwell,ca), The sink, yolo, and if I told you any more I'd have to kill you. :tongue:
nvduckdog
hunter

Postby GaryBHunting » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:18 am

Welcome aboard all! As you have been lurking you know there are a great group of hunters here and it sounds like you have a lot of knowledge to contribute. Please feel free to add anything to the discussions and start any threads. Look forward to your posts!

Garyb
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby Morning Flight » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Welcome NVDuckdog. Looking forward to learning from you and having you on the boards.
Morning Flight
hunter

Postby Killcarp » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:54 am

Hey everybody, my name is Josh. I just joined this forum after reading how passionate some of you are. I am the same way about duck hunting. I have only hunted northern Nevada for 2 years but have been hunting waterfowl for about 20. I am still struggling to find decent people to hint with here. Seems like most of the folks I've met are either really flaky or only hunt opening weekend. I am a pretty laid back guy but I am pretty serious about hunting and don't like to lay games (I show up long before shooting time, I don't shoot at birds that another guy is calling etc.

I have hunted still water, washoe lake, and the Carson river. I would love to find someplace a little slower pace (not so many people), or find some people to hunt with who share my passion and ethics. I have been trying to get s hold of some farmers to lease some land but I haven't had any luck yet. Any info would be great or let's just get together and go!

Happy hunting
Killcarp
Newb

Postby nvduckdog » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:10 pm

Howdy Killcarp ! I just joined this forum also. i hunt a rice farm lease @ 2mile, it's a four and a half hour haul from the Reno area. There might be a openning next season. Well worth the windshield time !
nvduckdog
hunter

Postby overtonskybuster » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:27 pm

Hey,
Been hunting 30+ years in S. Nevada public and private. Hunt every day I can. Looking forwards to bein on the forum!

~Rick
overtonskybuster
Newb

Postby Ducks Over Chukar » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:54 pm

Kind of getting in here at the end of the season, but i just recently came across this forum, and i have really enjoyed reading the posts. Anyway, I look forward to talking to you guys, passing on some information, and getting new ideas.

I grew up hunting ducks in the Lincoln, CA area. I hunted regularly with my Grandfather all through high school and college in Sacramento. I moved to Reno 11 years ago and have just started getting back into the swing of things the last few years. My oldest son (just turned 9) might love waterfowl hunting even more than i do, so feel like it's my duty to learn all i can around here so he can enjoy it as much as i did growing up. We dont have a boat yet, but we do have a 1 year old lab who has done fabulous her first year. Our combined count this year is 12... something we would like to improve on.... no geese though.

Anyway, i look forward to talking to you guys. Good hunting!!!
Ducks Over Chukar
Newb

Postby shootem » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi this is my first time here. I live in Carson City, been here 12 years but haven't hunted ducks since I left Northern Calif. I spoke with a guy in the grocery store today about the bands he had on his lanyard. H e told me they were all from this area. I asked if he hunted private or open space, he said both he belonged to aclub but also new some ranch owners . I tried to inquire about the clubs but I can't seem to find them. Anyone know of duck clubs in the Carson Valley area?
Thanks
shootem
Newb

Postby shootem » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:18 am

I am in Carson City
shootem
Newb

Postby BigSetter » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:56 pm

Hello, my name is Jade. I was born and raised in Idaho and spent my life duck hunting Southern Idaho with family and friends. I am active duty military and recently stationed here in Las Vegas. I could easily spend the next 4 years here so I am excited to make friends with other waterfowl hunters and discover what NV has to offer. I liked what I read in the forum so I decided to join.
BigSetter
Newb

PreviousNext

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting