salt water ponds

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

salt water ponds

Postby gulfcoastquacker » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:57 am

i am hunting on the cost down tward grand isle. i have been having trouble keeping the ducks in my pond. once there spooked there not coming back. is there anyone hunting these coastal areas using any special tactics to keep the birds hanging around?
If i dont get my limit of ducks.....I'll get my limit in my ice chest!!
gulfcoastquacker
hunter

Re: salt water ponds

Postby yamaha783 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:56 pm

With the storms of the last few years, most of the feed in the coastal ponds has been wiped out. Without some type of feed they're just not going to stick around long. It's a bummer, but part of hunting that type of terrain. I hunt SE La salt marshes and its the same game. Do your best no-storm dance, we'll see how our luck holds out. Good luck out there
yamaha783
hunter

Postby Assault » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:14 pm

yamaha783 wrote:With the storms of the last few years, most of the feed in the coastal ponds has been wiped out. Without some type of feed they're just not going to stick around long. It's a bummer, but part of hunting that type of terrain. I hunt SE La salt marshes and its the same game. Do your best no-storm dance, we'll see how our luck holds out. Good luck out there

U hunt WMA?
If I c it in the air, it's coming down!
Assault
hunter

Postby Captchaz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:06 am

You hunting the wrong pond..
Captchaz
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:51 am

Yea I hunt WMAs primarily and occasionally visit a few leases of friends in Delacroix area.
yamaha783
hunter

Postby Assault » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:19 am

yamaha783 wrote:Yea I hunt WMAs primarily and occasionally visit a few leases of friends in Delacroix area.

Wich ones? I hunt cat island
Assault
hunter

Postby gulfcoastquacker » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:42 am

Im getting my storm dance outfit on and going to dance till my feet bleed. i am also going to dig a pond in my pasture up the bayou, i have a natural flowing well so i will be able to flood and drain as i please. I'm going to grow some brown top millet and see how that goes...i am trying every angle I know to get some birds.
gulfcoastquacker
hunter

Postby gulfcoastquacker » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Captchaz wrote:You hunting the wrong pond..

Are you hunting the coast around Grand Isle?
gulfcoastquacker
hunter

Postby Captchaz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:19 pm

gulfcoastquacker wrote:
Captchaz wrote:You hunting the wrong pond..

Are you hunting the coast around Grand Isle?

Yes I am. Born and raised in grand isle now live in cut off.. family leases behind grand isle .. leases in golden meadow and cut off also.. all salt water leases..
Captchaz
hunter

Postby gulfcoastquacker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:43 am

got ya chaz...I am hunting Fourchon, clovely, and gonna try to build a pond in the pasture...spent alot of time this summer in grand isle...talked to a few people on the island they said they did good last year...i hope we can do the same in Fourchon this year.
gulfcoastquacker
hunter

Postby Captchaz » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:56 pm

gulfcoastquacker wrote:got ya chaz...I am hunting Fourchon, clovely, and gonna try to build a pond in the pasture...spent alot of time this summer in grand isle...talked to a few people on the island they said they did good last year...i hope we can do the same in Fourchon this year.

Good areas man just have to learn the birds..pond in pasture will be good for teal if it eains alot..you wouldnt just so happen to have the lease across from chevron leeville? Also if you live on the bayou man we shouod hook up and go ride im always in the boat when not offshore
Captchaz
hunter

Postby Assault » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:28 am

Captchaz wrote:
gulfcoastquacker wrote:got ya chaz...I am hunting Fourchon, clovely, and gonna try to build a pond in the pasture...spent alot of time this summer in grand isle...talked to a few people on the island they said they did good last year...i hope we can do the same in Fourchon this year.

Good areas man just have to learn the birds..pond in pasture will be good for teal if it eains alot..you wouldnt just so happen to have the lease across from chevron leeville? Also if you live on the bayou man we shouod hook up and go ride im always in the boat when not offshore

Chaz, u work on a OSV or a rig?
Assault
hunter

Postby Captchaz » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:48 am

Captain on 185ft fast supply/crewboatImage
Captchaz
hunter

Postby gulfcoastquacker » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:52 pm

Captchaz wrote:

We lease directly to the west of Fourchon, we just put a camp out in the marsh there. I am the same way...I have a house but i live on the water... :beer: I am pumped up about digging this pond, i have a well that flows 24hrs a day so even if it doesnt rain i will be able to flood it....hope these pictures of the progress show up.

photo 1.JPG
pond construction
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
gulfcoastquacker
hunter

Postby Captchaz » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:33 pm

That area does hold birds.. thats not far from devil day? I have a lil house that is getting finished up in the bayou to bring around to the lease behind besson..

Pond looks like it is coming alone good.. should get the teal thick in there once you done.. 308 or 1 side?
Captchaz
hunter

Postby adamdu82 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:45 am

if you dig a pond in your pasture it will indeed get some birds in it, but you'll probably make only one hunt on them and then they will be gone for good. You need more water in the general area to get consistent hunting.
adamdu82
hunter

Postby gulfcoastquacker » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:23 am

Captchaz wrote:That area does hold birds.. thats not far from devil day? I have a lil house that is getting finished up in the bayou to bring around to the lease behind besson..

Pond looks like it is coming alone good.. should get the teal thick in there once you done.. 308 or 1 side?

its real close to devils bay. the house boat i had was Bright green parked across from the old le sprit.

adamdu82 wrote:if you dig a pond in your pasture it will indeed get some birds in it, but you'll probably make only one hunt on them and then they will be gone for good. You need more water in the general area to get consistent hunting.

behind my pasture its directly open to a bunch of big duck ponds that are used to bring all sorts of people on guided hunts so i am hopeing to get some of there overflow.
gulfcoastquacker
hunter

Postby gulfcoastquacker » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:35 am

This is not the finished project, but I knew we had a lot of rain coming so i decided to fill it to check my levels. at its deepest the pond is about 2 to 2 1/2' deep. but the majority is alot shallower than that. I decided not to dig it as big as the original plan just incase I dont get any birds. if all else fails its gonna be a small crawfish pond/mud boggin pit

pond (1).JPG
pond (3).JPG
couldn't wait to start filling it
photo 4.JPG
gulfcoastquacker
hunter

Postby Captchaz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:48 pm

Hey man. Ya houseboat is floating and in the place you put it just letting you know.. I see it everytime I move the boat to go offshore.. that color is different though..
Captchaz
hunter

Postby Assault » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:09 am

Captchaz wrote:Hey man. Ya houseboat is floating and in the place you put it just letting you know.. I see it everytime I move the boat to go offshore.. that color is different though..

When r u coming back on town?
Assault
hunter

Postby Captchaz » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:15 am

Assault wrote:
Captchaz wrote:Hey man. Ya houseboat is floating and in the place you put it just letting you know.. I see it everytime I move the boat to go offshore.. that color is different though..

When r u coming back on town?

Will be getting off on the 17th. What about you man?
Captchaz
hunter

Postby gulfcoastquacker » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:31 am

Yea you can see that color from space......The color is supposed to be Miami green...as soon as it hit the walls I wanted to change it....The lady at the paint store mixed the wrong color it was supposed to be more of an aquamarine color....the wife liked it so I figured we would just go with it......works well at night when we coming back from gigging....looks like a big glow stick :lol:
gulfcoastquacker
hunter

Postby Captchaz » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:36 pm

gulfcoastquacker wrote:

Yea you can see that color from space......The color is supposed to be Miami green...as soon as it hit the walls I wanted to change it....The lady at the paint store mixed the wrong color it was supposed to be more of an aquamarine color....the wife liked it so I figured we would just go with it......works well at night when we coming back from gigging....looks like a big glow stick :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: always looked at it weird wjen it was in bayou..if the wofe likes it and helped out leave it. ..but you have it in a good spot.. always lighted up from the boats and docks..
Captchaz
hunter

Postby gulfcoastquacker » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:47 am

Captchaz wrote:
gulfcoastquacker wrote:

:lol::lol::lol: always looked at it weird wjen it was in bayou..if the wofe likes it and helped out leave it. ..but you have it in a good spot.. always lighted up from the boats and docks..

yea its gonna be nice during the winter months....wont have to run the generator at night for the A/C and therse plenty enough light from Fourchon...went to make a dove hunt this morning in the pasture.....sat from 0610 to 0635 hoping one would fly by...didn't see any doves....saw 2 to 3 flocks of teal off in the distance....gonna try to make a dove/teal hunt over the weekend and see what turns up.
gulfcoastquacker
hunter

Postby Captchaz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:03 pm

gulfcoastquacker wrote:
Captchaz wrote:
gulfcoastquacker wrote:

yea its gonna be nice during the winter months....wont have to run the generator at night for the A/C and therse plenty enough light from Fourchon...went to make a dove hunt this morning in the pasture.....sat from 0610 to 0635 hoping one would fly by...didn't see any doves....saw 2 to 3 flocks of teal off in the distance....gonna try to make a dove/teal hunt over the weekend and see what turns up.

You right about that..good luck this weekend. Hope you smoke them. Ill keep a eye on ya camp when I pass by got a another week left on boat.. you hunting pasture are lease? Them doves should be in ya pasture with that fresh area you made..
Captchaz
hunter

Next

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting