Duck Hunting in the Wiregrass

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

Duck Hunting in the Wiregrass

Postby huntinyouthman » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:01 pm

Hey guys,

I just moved to the wiregrass area, specifically Dothan. Anyone know of some places to duck hunt in the area?

I'm getting a late start, and have checked in with the Refuge at Eufaula. Past there, I'm at a loss. Not finding anything online.

Thanks a bunch, and I'll try to come around a little more :mrgreen:
Matt

Why on tests does it say "Use Your Own Words?" Everyone knows you can't make up your own words!! Flapibillitankerous!!!
huntinyouthman
Newb

Postby David » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:15 pm

I can't help you that far north, I tend to stick closer to the Mobile area. You'll have a hard time getting people to help you with duck locations over the internet. People are usually worried about posting that kind of information due to the fact you never know how many others are going to read the post. You might be able to find a partner since you are new to the area and they will be able to help you. Other than that try looking at aerial maps (sticked a link to several on the top of the AL Forum page) and start scouting next month after the birds start moving this way. Good luck and welcome to the area.
David
Lefty

Postby Woodman » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:12 am

I do not know anyone from Dothan that duck hunts but my buddies that hunt in Andalusia and Opp usually just hunt beaver ponds for woodies. I live in Brewton and drive all the way to Mobile to hunt.
Woodman
hunter

Postby jaker » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:42 pm

pm sent
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby AU Mallard » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:57 pm

I've guided a pair of guys for years (in NE Ark) from Dothan.

They've told me that duck hunting, ther than woodies, is proctically non-existent in their area.

Dove hunting is superb.
AU Mallard
hunter

hey

Postby duck slayR » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:24 pm

i use to live in ozark before i enlisted in the Navy 5 yrs ago and like everyone said its not a great area for watefowling my advice is to find some farmers that have land near a swamp/river or pond and knock on their door introduce yourself and state your inthentions and let them know you might be willing to pay them or help out around the farm. other than that eufalua and Gant lake in andelusia are your best bets hop i helped.
here they come boys start callin'..................wait....SHOOT it's just seagulls!
duck slayR
Suzie Spoonbill Slayer

Postby ALAduckhunter » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:47 pm

great place just northwest of montgomery

be glad to provide dog and guide to share a blind

hunt there all the time, great guys and lots of ducks

send a pm if interested
ALAduckhunter
Newb

Re: Duck Hunting in the Wiregrass

Postby jake1717 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:48 pm

hey guys im not able to travel as much as i use to so im looking for places to duck hunt. im from guntersville al but im living in dothan. if anyone can help please let me know. iv got everything needed for me and one more and can also exchange for a hunt back home.
jake1717
Newb

Postby fallingducks » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:54 am

the closest place you can hunt is in slocomb about 45 min away.
fallingducks
hunter

Postby chipola » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:17 am

Whats in Slocomb? Im in Marianna and was wonderin' the same thing, if theres anywhere to hunt in S.E AL. Id say your best bet is either Lake seminole, about an hour away, or Eufala?? Ive never been on Eufala but i Imagine the birds that make it to Seminole come from there.
Real Men Love Jesus.

chipola
hunter

Postby jaker » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:38 pm

the closest decent hunting near dothan is diver hunting in florida or seminole. Eufaula is awful on public waters although the refuge has a bunch of ducks, they don't get much pressure so they never leave.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby chipola » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:52 am

Anybody realize this thread was started in 2006? :oops: Oh well, lets keep a wiregrass theme going. My dads got some land between Bonifay Fl and Hartford Al and weve got a pretty cool pond, Ive noticed tons of ponds like ours around that area. Lots of lilly pads and flooded timber. Anybody ever hunt these type farm ponds in the wiregrass? Im wondering if theres anything other than woodies flyin around.
Real Men Love Jesus.

chipola
hunter

Postby fallingducks » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:09 am

slocomb has wood ducks, mallards, teal, geese, hooded mergansiers, and a few golden eye
fallingducks
hunter

Postby chipola » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:17 am

wow, I was at our land in Esto (NWFL) yesterday settin up deer stands and when i was driving near the pond i flushed up some duckies :biggrin: I could tell one was a woodie(he took off and didnt look back) the other three ducks lit probably 40 yards from my truck. I couldnt tell what they were though. They had a long neck like a pintail, but were rather small. they werent mergansers. Im wondering if they were ruddy ducks or some type of non-game waterfowl like a di-daper or somthin. any ideas? im gonna go scout it out again and see if They arent still there.
Real Men Love Jesus.

chipola
hunter

Postby chipola » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:22 am

ok, they werent ruddy ducks. lol, i just looked them up, they look crazy.
Real Men Love Jesus.

chipola
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting