redwing slough

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

redwing slough

Postby ICFEET80 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:28 pm

Our group drew redwing slough.....anyone have any advice or tips that have been there? I've never seen the place
ICFEET80
hunter

Re: redwing slough

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:15 am

I have buddies that have a long history with that place. The old guys that hunted there when it was still private. Everyone that goes there, keep their info close to the vest.

Last few years, its been tough getting in and out of the place. Not much water. Groups can't get out in a boat to set a blind. Add to that, that the birds aren't as thick. I'm not saying you won't get some shots, but it's gonna be interesting for you guys.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby ICFEET80 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:53 am

jeez, the wind was just taken out of my sails haha.....i guess we'll just give it our best. After last years flop on grass, it can't be too bad i suppose.
ICFEET80
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Definitely less competition out there. Just wait for a big rain to take your blinds out. Probably takes two days after a rain, for all the water to get to the lake. Do it then. The Blakes have the coolest blind out there and a private launch to boot. Those guys are set.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:38 am

Been in there many times. Blinds are already constructed except one on deer lake. This is a mudmotor or canoe only area. Deer lake has super thick weeds in the entrance channel but when those weeds die off u can run an outboard just have to watch out for the mudflats just under he surface in some areas. There is one private blind on deer and two private blinds on redwing. Opening weekend will be good, rest of the season hit or miss. Private blind on deer used to push all the birds to redwing but now the private blind on redwing pushes the birds to the retention ponds in the subdevision. Don't leave anything on shore u would easily replace people steel stuff out of our boats every year. Still nice to have limited hunting pressure.
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby jedimike » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:57 am

We drew it last year and couldn't hunt it once. The water levels are bad.
jedimike
hunter

Postby ICFEET80 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:59 am

Deer lake is full to the North, the lake across 173 to the south is brimming, yet I have to walk 400 yards through knee high muck to hunt in the mud at redwing. Awesome. :clapping:
ICFEET80
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:51 am

How was opener out there? Usually good if there's water. It ices up fast. u can probly walk on the mud this weekend?
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby ICFEET80 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:18 pm

Few hundred were hanging in the middle but we couldn't get to them. All mud everywhere else so We couldn't hunt opener. Dissapointing.
ICFEET80
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:57 am

That's why I don't understand about the draw on that place. 300 People put their names in, and it can't be hunted when the water is down. Then only Wednesday, and the weekends.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:31 am

They should list the water conditions on the fact sheet. If they informed everyone that the average depth was 3" with muck bottom , fewer people would go for it. Leaving it open to the guys who can run it. Most new guys hand it to the alternates drawn after they see it in sept. Some hold it all season in hopes of rain fall and spot never gets used. What would people think if the hunter fact sheet first sentence was "redwing mudflats"
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:33 am

Here is a pic 3-4 yrs ago when it was high water 3" Image
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby ICFEET80 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:54 pm

The dnr site super said they are attempting to create hemi marsh and redwing will only have huntable water 3 years in every 10. they should warn at drawing
ICFEET80
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting