Public/Private and Field/Water

This forum is for those who enjoy South Dakota duck hunting. And from spring Snow goose hunting and the Pheasant hunting in the #1 Pheasant state in the US.

Moderator: sdgr8wthnter

Public/Private and Field/Water

Postby SDwaterfowler » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:51 am

Just wanted to get an idea what type of hunting everyone else here does. I've always hunted on public land over water but would like to try some field hunting one of these days. Just have to start slowly building up a field spread here eventually and get a good layout blind. Hopefully, some day I will also find a nice little honey hole on some private land too but haven't yet.

So do the rest of you typically hunt on public or private land and do you typically hunt in fields or over water? For those that hunt both fields and over water, which one do you prefer. Also, for those that hunt public land, do you typically hunt the same water most of the season or do you bounce around to different marshes? We usually hunt the same marsh all year until it freezes over and then hit the big water.
SDwaterfowler
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:49 pm

I hunt it all, private fields and sloughs and public sloughs. There are some public fields but never hunted them. My favorite would be a combo field/water hunt. Have a buddy that owns some land that has the option and its really fun. Shot the mallards and widgeons that come into the field to eat and then shot the other ducks when they go to the water. If the combo option isn't available then field hunting.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:10 pm

Well if it would be up to me i would hunt fields hands down, i think the ducks come in way better, your chances are better to shoot mallards, you can't fall in water, and I don't really like wearing waders :mrgreen: As for public, I like to try not to hunt one spot all the time so you don't burn the ducks out ( I also try to do this with private) Otherwise I think the ducks will just get used to you hunting the same spot, but it would be different when the migration starts up into full swing because new birds will be in your area.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby SDwaterfowler » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:45 am

It sounds like field hunting would be a lot of fun. Do you guys just scout fields and knock on doors or do you use fields owned by people you know? Also with field spreads for ducks and/or geese, how big should a typical spread be? Obviously, the bigger the better, but what is a decent minimum that will bring em' in? I would think it would require significantly bigger spreads than on the water due to the lower visibility.

I agree with the theory on not hunting the same spot all year. But I can honestly say that it has not hurt my group one bit this year. We have limited every day we've been out except for opening weekend. When the locals are around, I don't think the same birds come to our marsh all the time. It seems to be a transition marsh used by different birds all the time. IMO, in theory you shouldn't hunt the same spot repeatedly but, IME, we always have plenty of birds in our face when we do. But I would still like to widen our variety of places to hunt. It's just hard to want to try different places when we limit out every time right where we are (this year anyways). We have hunted many different locations over the years but we have hunted our current location exclusively for the past 3 years because it is a darn good place to hunt.
SDwaterfowler
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:53 am

What i do is, drive around until i see a field where the ducks are landing, or alot of them are flying over, then I just go to the closest farm and ask them if they know who owns the field and if they do you just ask them if they don't mind if you come out tomarrow and try hunting some ducks or geese.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Return to South Dakota Duck Hunting