Hunting Lakes

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Hunting Lakes

Postby delavancomets » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:10 pm

Hello everyone i am new here and this is a question for people that duck hunt lakes. I am planning on hunting this lake where there is a shallow inlet that narrows down a ways back into a creek. The whole bay is surrounded by cattails and my question is how would somebody find a place to set out and duck hunt. Is there any features or things that a duck hunter should look for to set up there decoys. Thanks everybody.

This is what it looks like and in the upper right corner is where it channels out into a creek
delavancomets
Newb

Re: Hunting Lakes

Postby Trout&Duck » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:03 pm

Setting up on the point seems like it would be a good idea, but if you don't have a boat it could be a miserable walk through the cattails.
Trout&Duck
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:21 am

scout it if possible then if not then it may take a few times to figure species, numbers, and what their flight patterns are to really be on them. Pay attention to what you see.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:57 am

I"d be watching it as much as possible from now until the start of the season and note where the birds wanted to be depending on what the wind was doing. If you can't do that, but have access to the whole lake just set up with the wind at your back. If its a straight west wind try to set up so its quartering to you, that way you don't have the sun straight on you as the birds are coming in. If you don't have a lot of time to scout it just hunt as much as you can and make notes of everything that happens so you can keep fine tuning your set up
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby Spunky » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:51 am

Like everyone else says, watch the birds. But from the picture I can see at least 10 differnt spots to set up depending upon the weather conditions, but the birds are what matters, so watch the birds. The places might look good now but what happens when the season starts and you add pressure to the birds, they will change thier flight patterns, so some place that might look good now might be a total bust come hunting season.

You didn't mention how much pressure the lake gets or what type of birds you are going to hunt.

I hunt lakes almost exclusively and a lot places look good but come hunting season they become barren of birds. 2 years ago I thought I had a lake nailed down. A week before the season the birds were rafting between 2 islands all day long. Woodies and mallards. Come opening day they wanted nothing to do with the spot. Others hunters on the lake had the birds so spooked that they wouldn't go between the islands but tucked their selfs up in little out of the way places and stayed in them until they froze over. Than they were pushed back to the main lake where they became huntable again.

You might want to search the upper regions of the stream and see what's up there. A few decoys and a LITTLE calling may be all you need. The birds might be flying up the stream to some places away from the lake to feed and rest during the day. You might have better luck there. That mouth maybe good the first couple of days but after that from what I can see the birds will avoid that spot and head up stream. It won't take them long to skirt that mouth once the shooting starts.
Spunky
hunter

Postby delavancomets » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:37 pm

Its mainly mallards and geese and it get a lot of hunting pressure because it one of the only places for public land hunters to hunt. From what i have heard and seen some success from other hunters its good the first week of the season then the ducks are gone.
delavancomets
Newb

Postby Omaha Clucker » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:24 pm

delavancomets wrote:From what i have heard and seen some success from other hunters its good the first week of the season then the ducks are gone.

Based on that I'd definitely take Spunky's advice and try scouting up that stream and keep quiet about it. Could be all the birds that are "gone" after the first week are just moving off the lake. If they are up there and you don't hammer them relentlessly every day you might be able to get a few more weeks of shooting than everyone else
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:37 pm

I agree I have a place that I go that is the exact description of what you guys are explaining and after the first week (which we don't hunt it anyway the first week) the birds are scarce on the lake so we head up river small river but they're there.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:59 pm

I hunt lakes a lot in my area during the week. First is their alot of pressure? I set up in areas where ducks trade back and forth. This requires a big spread. However if you can find an area their using go hunt it. Go hunt it 10 times this year and you will figure it out pretty quick.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting