Duck Hunting Forum banner

NYS Vet's alert!

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  diveforfun97 
#1 ·
I just saw a big thing on the news about how NYS VET's are entitled up to 35% off their property taxes and how SO many of them do NOT know this.
Senetor Chuck Schumer has sponsored a bill to make this application part of discharge paperwork.
Look into it if you are entitled....

http://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/exem ... exempt.htm

#2 ·
It's unfortunate that not all veterans are entitled to this. If they were not awarded an expeditionary medal for serving during a time of war in a unit that has deployed they are not eligible. I personally know dozens of veterans in Clinton county alone that have served in the military either in a non deployed unit or in the 80's during peacetime and are not even eligible for benefits through the VA let alone a tax break from uncle Sam.

#3 ·
jeepman said:
It's unfortunate that not all veterans are entitled to this. If they were not awarded an expeditionary medal for serving during a time of war in a unit that has deployed they are not eligible. I personally know dozens of veterans in Clinton county alone that have served in the military either in a non deployed unit or in the 80's during peacetime and are not even eligible for benefits through the VA let alone a tax break from uncle Sam.
Now THAT is BS......the tax break thing is a sweet deal and I can see that being a short list....but health care? OVERPRICED health care? THAT...is BS....
The VA saved my dad's life and has treated him like a stud for years....he never had a cough after 'Nam and at 65 years old started some trouble....walked in and that was that....

#4 ·
Slack Tide said:
Now THAT is BS......the tax break thing is a sweet deal and I can see that being a short list....but health care? OVERPRICED health care? THAT...is BS....
The VA saved my dad's life and has treated him like a stud for years....he never had a cough after 'Nam and at 65 years old started some trouble....walked in and that was that
I know it is. I'm not saying the VA does nothing for those who serve during peacetime, but they don't get anywhere near the benefits as someone who served during a conflict. that includes medical coverage and also federal and state hiring preferences.

#5 ·
Hey all. What you have said is both right and wrong. There is a lot that goes into the eligibility of the veterans property tax exemption. Each town/ city has their own exemption caps. I am the county director for Veteran Service in Ontario County so feel free to PM me and I will try to help you out or link you up with someone that can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.