Hickory Mound WMA

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Hickory Mound WMA

Postby Bakercountyboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:08 pm

I just recently got on three rivers hunt club which from my understanding butts right up to hickory mound wma. Anybody ever hunted hickory mound? I'm going to try and get out there sometime before early teal and take a look around. I'm not asking for any honey holes! Just wondering if ya seen any ducks.
Bakercountyboy
hunter

Re: Hickory Mound WMA

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:18 pm

Pretty easy to how crowded it gets because everyone sets up on the levees, just look for the mojos flaring. Last time I hunted there a group of 4 guys in a 14ft Jon boat drive straight to me then through my decoys........went 40 yards past me then set up.

They sky busted one merganser and I packed up and drove home. It was the only bird that flew from daylight till 1130.

It was way crowded last year due to the duck commander crowd so I stopped going there.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby beaunelli » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:11 pm

wanting to try it down there as well as at the coast this year hunting divers. when you say crowded, approximately how many ppl do you mean? also do most set up on impoundment side or coast side?
beaunelli
hunter

Postby marshnole11 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Crowded as in people set up on top of each other every fricking 50 to 80 yards. And if you keep talking about it then there will probably be double that amount.

the problem is that place has sucked the last two years. there is NO food so there are no ducks.... most people are one and done with it. Not worth the drive IMHO.
marshnole11
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:00 am

This thread could have been taken pm over a month ago. I see lots of new faces in the area soon.

Nole, you have been charged with aiding and feeding a CS. How do you plea?
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby marshnole11 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:04 pm

im to the point now where its almost a feudal enterprise to try and keep anything quiet because someone is just going to bring it up on the internet. To be honest if this guy and five thousand other guys want to hunt that spot they can have at it. It has sucked mega hard forever. Salt water is douching the impoundment every day beacuse FWC refuses to close the northern culvert. there will be no food just like there wasn't the year before and the year before that. Throw in the 11 mile long drive on the limestone road that is inundated with potholes that range from a foot to two feet deep and several feet wide. If they think all that trouble is worth some mergansers have at it....
marshnole11
hunter

Postby beaunelli » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:13 pm

no need to get butthurt about it? you act like hickory mound is a big secret? thanks for the info though, people set up 50 yards from each other sounds more like dove hunting than duck. ill stick to the woodies in the woods :beer:
beaunelli
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:31 pm

beaunelli wrote:no need to get butthurt about it? you act like hickory mound is a big secret? thanks for the info though, people set up 50 yards from each other sounds more like dove hunting than duck. ill stick to the woodies in the woods :beer:

Easy there hoss. You came looking for info, and someone was more than generous to answer. You would do well to learn how things go around here and settle down. You already started off on the wrong foot.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting