Duck Hunting Forum banner

Raffia Grass 25lb. Carton Split?

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  KillerKowalski 
#1 ·
I am working with J Sterns for a carton (25 pounds) of raffia grass in timber brown, mud brown and tan. They supply Avery and Cabelas. I can't see using all twenty-five pounds. I am trying to get them to mix the twenty-five pounds in thirds of each camo color. I am wondering if anyone local would like to split or would need some raffia. This is in the planning stage as I will order in the month of August or September. Pricing I am still working on, but to compare Roger's 5lb. Tanglefree is $7.80 per pound. J Sterns is quoting me $4.80 per pound (both before shipping), but individual colors only at this point. Even if someone only wants a few pounds, I will sell it at the price I pay after shipping.

#2 ·
Paying for brush to put on a duck blind is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of... just go out into the woods and cut down oak and cedar brush, it's free!

#5 ·
I was thinking of getting some raffia myself but I discovered a gold mine right down the road. At the back of a cemetary they have a big pile of these plastic flowers and leaves on stems that people put on graves. Most are bleached out. All you need is some spray paint and they are good as new! They will last forever too! There were some fresh one's out around the tombstones but since I didn't know if there were any duck hunters buried there I didn't mess with them. I figured if it was a duckhunter he wouldn't mind. :grooving:

#9 ·
Ah, you are close.

Another member posted this image up, so I can't take credit. He was a little further along the process with J Sterns as I am. From what I am reading, 25 pounds will cover an 18' boat pretty well and 20 pounds covers, but lacking in some spots. I am thinking from the responses I have gotten on this thread and PMs we all can combine to get quite a few cartons to help everyone out. Hell why not?!?! That is if everyone pays.

And anyone wanting to buy and dye raffia Cabelas Bargain Cave Avery Killer Weed is $29.99 for 10 pounds. Not a bad deal if you want to bucket, dye and dry.

#10 ·
I got a call back today. J Sterns will mix colors. Bulk discounts start at 500 pounds, so we won't be touching that. Though the price per pound is $4.55 and not the $4.80. They gave me a rough estimate of $25-$28 for shipping to IL. I ordered a swatch. The lady said anyone can call and get a swatch mailed for free or I can pass the swatch around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.