New to duck hunting

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

New to duck hunting

Postby Duck_Quick » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:35 pm

hello all new to duck hunting. I am not asking for any specific information on locations but any info on general areas around the Orlando area. Want to get my two sons out, one is home out of the Army and the other is 13. Also any advice on equipment needs would be appreciated, I know i will need waders, calls, shotguns and camo so anything else and any recommendations on call types and makes. Thank you.
Duck_Quick
Newb

Re: New to duck hunting

Postby tknight006 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:38 am

Welcome.

Latitude:N 28° 22' 37.717"Longitude:W 81° 34' 14.1992"

If you can deal with the crowds, there are a lot of birds.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby Duck_Quick » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:02 am

Thank you for the info.
Duck_Quick
Newb

Postby Coonrod » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:36 am

Duck_Quick wrote:Thank you for the info.

lol. don't thank him too quick.

You will find duck hunters are extremely secretive about locations and keep them tightly guarded.
I will say that here in Central FL, there are tons of areas. Scouting will be the way you figure it out.

Calls aren't that important, you can save that for last or "nice to have" if you want. Blinds, blind mat'l for the boat (palmetto fronds seem to fit in just about anywhere and you can get them just about anywhere) is very important. As for decoys, I would get ringers, teal, and coots to begin with. Can't go wrong with those. Female mallards work as mottleds. Pass on all the greenheads you see on sale at Bass Pro or Gander. There's a reason they're on sale.
Coonrod
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:49 pm

Coonrod wrote:

Calls aren't that important, you can save that for last or "nice to have" if you want. Blinds, blind mat'l for the boat (palmetto fronds seem to fit in just about anywhere and you can get them just about anywhere) is very important. As for decoys, I would get ringers, teal, and coots to begin with. Can't go wrong with those. Female mallards work as mottleds. Pass on all the greenheads you see on sale at Bass Pro or Gander. There's a reason they're on sale.

Every bit of what he said is spot on.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby Conch27 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:40 am

tknight006 wrote:
Coonrod wrote:

I'd agree with the above. I'd load up on teal decoys. They tend to be small and easier to carry a large amount of them. Get some quality G&H decoys.

A good marsh seat can't hurt although sometimes a bucket will work.

I like black cloud shells, if you are shooting at close range (which I suggest, no skyblasting) get their close range shells because sometimes there regular shells may make ground beef out of your duck.
Conch27
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:49 am

Conch27 wrote:
tknight006 wrote:
Coonrod wrote:

I'd agree with the above. I'd load up on teal decoys. They tend to be small and easier to carry a large amount of them. Get some quality G&H decoys.

I like black cloud shells, if you are shooting at close range (which I suggest, no skyblasting) get their close range shells because sometimes there regular shells may make ground beef out of your duck.

You don't need high grade ammo though. I shoot rios and kill ducks just as good as the next guy. And if you start blaming you not killing ducks on ammo, just remember that only a bad carpenter blames his tools
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby Conch27 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:54 pm

quackhunter99 wrote:
Conch27 wrote:
tknight006 wrote:
Coonrod wrote:

You don't need high grade ammo though. I shoot rios and kill ducks just as good as the next guy. And if you start blaming you not killing ducks on ammo, just remember that only a bad carpenter blames his tools

Agreed, just my personal preference
Conch27
hunter

Postby duckhunter10610 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:01 am

How far are you willing to travel?
God Bless
duckhunter10610
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting