GHG or Avery dekes are they that bad?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

GHG or Avery dekes are they that bad?

Postby JWG » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:25 pm

Howdy, was just at Cabelas and tried the fingernail test on all decoys they had Honker wise and was disappointed. Are the GHG that bad? Any info will help! Thanks
JWG
hunter

Re: GHG or Avery dekes are they that bad?

Postby BlackFoot777 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:20 pm

Junk. Ghg got too big, so when you get too big, you slim on points that matter. Great decoy itself no doubt. But it's not going to help kill ducks in the upcoming season when the paint has failed to stay on the mold of that great decoy. You would be better off asking them for the molds pre paint, and then paint them yourself. It would probably hold on better. Yah you can clear coat them when you get them, but if you spend 150 bucks for a dozen of mallards we shoudnt have to touch them, well with gloves maybe, to protect the paint. I apologize now if I upset anyone. I truly believe that they don't put any care into their product because they have the following who would buy their product no matter what.
BlackFoot777
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:45 am

My old GHG Lifesize decoys lost paint pretty badly. So did the Hot Buys. My ProGrades are holding up very well.

Some guys have had no problems with Avery/GHG decoys. Others hate the paint. (the paint; the problem is almost always the paint)

If you are leery of the GHG, try the Avian-X. I've had nothing but great service from them.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:22 am

Just throw a layer of clear coat on them and they will last for years and look new.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:15 am

agreed with above, I cleared my decoys with flat clear coat and they are holding up great. they are thrown in the back of the truck and in and out of a mesh bag and still no issues.
asmythe32
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:35 am

asmythe32 wrote:agreed with above, I cleared my decoys with flat clear coat and they are holding up great. they are thrown in the back of the truck and in and out of a mesh bag and still no issues.

Mine get left in the rice for over 80 days. No sun tans on my ducks out here in ca.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:12 pm

Well as it has already been pointed out the paint is the weak area on GHG decoys
Out in California we have a 105 day season plus early and late goose seasons so on the big water lakes we hunt , the decoys can sit in the sun for 120 days easy in this environment I use only G&H they are the only decoy I have found in forty years of Waterfowling that hold up .
However we also hunt ponds , rivers , refuses and in these areas I use Dakotas , Avian X ,and GHG Pro Grades.
We pick them up daily and put them in twelve slot bags , so the paint is not as important .
Therefore it depends on where you hunt and how you handle your decoys .

Joe Hendrex
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby JWG » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:33 pm

What kinda flat clear coat? Pretty sad to hear, there dekes look very good. Million dollar question is why don't they clear coat?
JWG
hunter

Postby JamesMB » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:08 pm

I have a couple dozen pro grade and wound up clear coating; but i usually clear coat my deeks anyway just to help them hold up. Ive found the Higdon honkers hold up really well. The shells are some of the best I've used for the price.
JamesMB
hunter

Postby 541-feet-down » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:26 pm

I hunt around 60-80 days a year and haven't had a problem with them hardly at all. I hunt right at 100 floaters on big water thrown into avery floating bags. Bought a dozen hot buys and a dozen oversize last year tho and a difference in paint. didn't like the hot buys the oversize seem to be doing fine. I don't know why they quit using what worked?
When you come into a morning meeting and forget your lanyard around your neck you may have an addiction.
541-feet-down
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:47 pm

JWG wrote:What kinda flat clear coat? Pretty sad to hear, there dekes look very good. Million dollar question is why don't they clear coat?

Million dollar question is why spend that kind of $$ on a product youll have to improve before you even use them!? Sure the flocking wears over time on the dakotas.....what else? Thats if you beat the hell out of them. The bodies and paint are far superior and if you EVER have a problem Bill will make it right no questions asked which is a far cry from ghgs service. Cant say anything about avian bc ive never used them but I swear you wont regret dakotas.
sooner737
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:37 am

Just my .02, but if you use slotted decoy bags, you can save your decoys from taking a beating. Anything else they'll get will be MINOR scratches....and if a goose could notice a small ding in my decoys out in my spread, he's probably bellied up; or had some steel thrown his way anyways :thumbsup: :lol3:
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:07 pm

I didn't mention I have had my GHG FFD full body honkers for eight to ten years and they look like new and I hunt 85 -95 days a season it really depends on how you take care of them
Attachments
image.jpg
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:56 pm

Here is a pic with the GHG decoys in the back ground
These decoys are 8-10 years old and still like brand new
It really depends on how you take care of them.
And we hunt hard.

Joe Hendrex
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
Attachments
image.jpg
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby dbrown57 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:44 am

I like ghg because of there wide variety of decoys. lets face it, as waterfowl hunters we abuse stuff. decoys are made of plastic so what do you expect. I bought slotted bags and they are keeping my deeks nice and chip free. If you don't take care of stuff its gona look like crap plain and simple. Dakotas are great deeks but right now every deek I have from teal to widgeon to pins to divers to geese are GHG and I haven't had that much of an issue with any of them.
PRO STAFF FOR CRITTER DONE GAME CALLS
dbrown57
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum