flooding a corn field

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

flooding a corn field

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:36 pm

okay, I've got a question for y'all.

Have any of you ever sunk an irrigation well and used it to flood a field?

If not, do you think it will work?

I was thinking a 4 inch well and diesel pump (25,000 GPH).
that should be enough to fill 2 acres to 6inches in 7 hours (if level and low).
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Re: flooding a corn field

Postby jaysweet3 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:55 am

Got a berm around it? Gonna leave the corn standing or picked?
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:35 am

jaysweet3 wrote:Got a berm around it? Gonna leave the corn standing or picked?

There would be some bulldozing involved, but that isn't the part that concerns me the most.

I'm more worried about how well we would be able to control the water level with a pump and well.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:32 am

All you need is a (pump and well) unless you are trying to raise and lower the water in a decent amount of time. If you would really want to control the water then look into a drainage tile control structure. In your situation all the control structure would be good for is if you overfilled the hole and the water got above the ears of corn, then you could really pinpoint where you wanted the water to be. It's not like it is a wetlands and if you take enough time and pay attention to the water level (check it every couple hours while pumping) then you shouldn't need to drain water to get it where you want it. Then when you get it to the bottom ear of corn and they eat that off then you would need to pump more water to get the level up to the next set of ears.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:47 am

If it gets enough runoff you don't need a pump. I have a couple spots that I just put a shutoff valve in the field tile that drains some low areas. Once they get the corn harvested I shut it off and pray for rain. If you have the money for a pump then I would do it but 6 inches of water over 2 acres it doesn't take a ton of rain if you have a decent amount of ground that drains into it.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby Cypress_Bend » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:45 am

lets see here you have a couple of things going on that need to be addressed first hand.

obviously you are going to put a berm up and hold water.... you need to find the lowest elevation and put a water control structure there, so that you can get the water out at a later time.... this could be as simple as a 6 inch pvc pipe under the berm. with a 90 degree elbow glue to it. if you stick a 2' tall pipe in the 90 the that will act as your spillway.

make sure the pipe is lower than any other point on the levee or it will overflow the levee and cut it... resulting in levee breaking and you will loose all your water.

once you have that all under controll you could very easily use a well and pump to flood the field... if the field is very flat and collects alot of run off then you will not have to pump as much...

for example I have a flooded 10 acre corn field that we pump with a 3" pump for about a week. it is not ideal but it works for the situation. once we pump for a week then we shut it off and let collected water fill the rest up, what this does is slowly raises water lever and the ear's of corn will be at water level at different times of the year because the field is not exactly flat and has about 5 foot of drop across it. so we have fresh corn in the water ususally every time it rains. one problem you will run into though.. the ducks will land on and do what ever they have to to get to the corn even if it out of the water.

this video shows how aggresive ducks are at eating corn when conditions are not exactly favorable
http://youtu.be/KRS2-aIPP_w

if you have any other questions just pm me. by the way ducks in flooded corn go absolutely stuiped, you dont even have to call if you keep the hunting pressure down.
Cypress_Bend
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:10 am

If it were me, I'd rent a ditch witch and put a small ditch around the 2 acres (not looking but about 1200 ft of ditching) which would throw a small berm to the outside of the ditch, give you a way to drain the water quickly at season end and, most importantly, allow you to place a water control structure (flashboard riser or elbow pipe, etc) to regulate the depth of the water. Hopefully the soil will have some clay in it to keep the water from leaching out.

I think it'll take about twice as long to fill 2 acres six inches deep than you estimated: 2 acres = 93,120 sq ft x .5ft = 43,560 cu. ft. x 7.48 gal/ cu ft = 325,829 gal for 2 acres 6 inches deep. 325,829 / 25,000gph = 13 hrs + absorption + evaporation. You'll need to run the pump every couple of days as well until the ground is saturated. I do this every year but only am using a 15kgal/hr pump on 15 acres. Takes a long time, almost a month cause I have a large ditch (5 ft deep), that runs down the middle of the field that houses my flashbord riser at the berm, that I pump into to fill the impoundment from and to drain from.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:54 pm

tenfingergrip wrote:If it were me, I'd rent a ditch witch and put a small ditch around the 2 acres (not looking but about 1200 ft of ditching) which would throw a small berm to the outside of the ditch, give you a way to drain the water quickly at season end and, most importantly, allow you to place a water control structure (flashboard riser or elbow pipe, etc) to regulate the depth of the water. Hopefully the soil will have some clay in it to keep the water from leaching out.

I think it'll take about twice as long to fill 2 acres six inches deep than you estimated: 2 acres = 93,120 sq ft x .5ft = 43,560 cu. ft. x 7.48 gal/ cu ft = 325,829 gal for 2 acres 6 inches deep. 325,829 / 25,000gph = 13 hrs + absorption + evaporation. You'll need to run the pump every couple of days as well until the ground is saturated. I do this every year but only am using a 15kgal/hr pump on 15 acres. Takes a long time, almost a month cause I have a large ditch (5 ft deep), that runs down the middle of the field that houses my flashbord riser at the berm, that I pump into to fill the impoundment from and to drain from.

You're right, I messed up the calculation some how... :huh: oh well... I'm not a civil engineer.

We have about 12" of topsoil and at least 10 ft of clay underneath that so leaching shouldn't be bad.

I will have to give this more thought, do a better job drawing it out, and post some more questions over the next few months...

Thanks guys!
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:43 am

For you guys who have done this, how much of problem do you have with trespassers and people hunting it without your permission?
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:09 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:For you guys who have done this, how much of problem do you have with trespassers and people hunting it without your permission?

I don't think you guys would have a problem, since you can see it from your front window.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:For you guys who have done this, how much of problem do you have with trespassers and people hunting it without your permission?

I don't think you guys would have a problem, since you can see it from your front window.

Wrong field... We were planing on using the bigger field out back. That way we could leave about 6 or 7 acres un-flodded and picked for geese.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:41 am

In our state, there is a program for landowners & lessees that allow them to register land with the state against trespass. When doing that, anyone on the land hunting, fishing, trapping or otherwise tresspassing without a written permit from the person controlling the land is automatically be cited for trespass by any law enforcement officer without the intervention or request of the landowner/lessee. The property must be adequately posted as to the regulations of the state and the minumum fine is slightly over $100 plus court costs. This helps deter trespass & poaching. We've had 8 to 10 folks charged and convicted over the last 6 or 7 years that we just found out about and never knew the game wardens had caught. It's a good law and one that every state should consider. We also just implemented the use of Purple paint on trees, telephone poles, posts, etc as a substitue for posted signs. Great convenience and eliminates poachers tearing down signs.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:38 am

I know the quality sucks... I threw it to geather during lunch, but what do you all think?
Picture4.jpg
Picture4.jpg (24.47 KiB) Viewed 2224 times

Picture3.png

Picture2.png

Picture1.png

Picture5.png
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:39 pm

I think that's a heck of a plan.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:52 am

Love your prowess with the graphics. I've constructed, now, 11 impoundments and assisted on 5 or 6 others. I think I would re-examine your design if I were you. It shows that you may have plans to bulldoze the field down to several feet below the current level. Problem 1: You have to remove all the topsoil off first then move it back to have enough nutrient holding soil to grow the corn. Problem 2: With the level of the field being down that far below the level of the ground, you would not be able to drain the field after the season so you could get ready to plant for the next season.
My solution would be to remove a strip of topsoil wide enough around the field to accomodate a ditch and the berm to hold the water in. You stated that there was clay underneath the topsoil. What you want to do is place clay from the ditch on top of the clay under the topsoil. Therfore, remove the topsoil, dig the clay for the ditch and place it on the clay that is right beside the ditch you have dug. That seals the clay ground from leaching the water thru the berm. The ditch is on the inside of the berm so when you fill the ditch, it eventually runs over the top and starts filling the field. Your water level is controlled by the flashboard riser at the low end of the field in the ditch. You are limited to the level of the water by the height you have constructed your berm. Rule of thumb: have at least 9" of freeboard of berm above the max water level on your riser so that a torrential rain won't wash over the berm. It'll cut a hole or many holes right thru the berm when the water breeches the top. Had it happen several times when the earthmovers folks didn't get the dike level and it had a couple of low spots. I'll post a sketch of what I am referring to above. PM me if you would like to discuss it and we'll get together via email or phone. There are some issues with flooding the trees you need to be aware of as well.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:23 am

Thanks grip!

The sketch would probably help quite a bit.

PM on its way.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:31 am

Can't get the damn sketch to attach. Will send by email & keep trying. My computer keeps throwing up.

Corn field impoundment & greentree res .jpg
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:52 am

Woody,
Don't know the state of the Federal/State programs with the budget problems going on, but several of the impoundments I have built have been with state/federal money.
Here is a link to a brochure on CP9 CREP Shallow Water Impoundments for Wildlife that may be applicable to you if you want to investigate. They used to pay up to 90% of the cost of construction and pay you for 15 years to remove the field from production as long as it had a cropping history and you have owned it for 5 years. Been several years since I used them, so not sure if the program is still viable.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mda_SHALLOWWATER_6192_7.pdf
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:08 am

tenfingergrip wrote:Woody,
Don't know the state of the Federal/State programs with the budget problems going on, but several of the impoundments I have built have been with state/federal money.
Here is a link to a brochure on CP9 CREP Shallow Water Impoundments for Wildlife that may be applicable to you if you want to investigate. They used to pay up to 90% of the cost of construction and pay you for 15 years to remove the field from production as long as it had a cropping history and you have owned it for 5 years. Been several years since I used them, so not sure if the program is still viable.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mda_SHALLOWWATER_6192_7.pdf

Thanks I will look into that.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:13 am

If I want to flood standing corn, and the ears are 3 feet off of the ground, how high should the water be? I was thinking 2.5ft?
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:05 am

Well your ear is going to be anywhere from 6-12 inches I would assume and a mallard is what maybe 16" at most long (just a guess) so ya 2.5' would be sufficient I would think that would be fine. Im in the process of doing everything you are doing just hoping I can get enough rain or a well drilled by the time I need it. Good luck with yours and let me know how it goes.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:31 am

Black Smoke wrote:Well your ear is going to be anywhere from 6-12 inches I would assume and a mallard is what maybe 16" at most long (just a guess) so ya 2.5' would be sufficient I would think that would be fine. Im in the process of doing everything you are doing just hoping I can get enough rain or a well drilled by the time I need it. Good luck with yours and let me know how it goes.

Thanks, good luck to you as well.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:18 pm

Step one complete
Attachments
image.jpg
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:21 am

Woody how is everything going with your corn?

Mine is looking a lot better than it did now that we have been getting rain. My millet hole is looking good too I'll keep you posted.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:34 am

Black Smoke wrote:Woody how is everything going with your corn?

Mine is looking a lot better than it did now that we have been getting rain. My millet hole is looking good too I'll keep you posted.

Corn around here looks good, but something went wrong with our millet. We must have been sold bad seed, every spot it was planted failed to the tune of ZERO plants.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Next

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting