WHAT A CRAPPY SEASON

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

WHAT A CRAPPY SEASON

Postby duckdog » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:59 pm

How was every one's season for waterfowl this year. I am done hunting duck's for the year here in NW Iowa. This has been the worst year I can remember, and I'm only 31 so I remember them all. But we did'nt have the duck's migrate through this year, like we usally do. The weather played a huge part in it, as it was very unusually warm this fall, but still did'nt see no big flock's heading south a mile up either, The best weekend we had was halloween, and that was the pheasant opener, sure wish I would've went duck hunting instead of pheasant, but we had strong, cold NW wind's and duck's around the next day it was like they were gone, and it stayed like that, and my county has a majority of the lake's and slough's in this corner of the state. Just want to see how everyone else is doing??? :pissed:
duckdog
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:57 am

Must've skipped you. Tpday is the first day I have shot nothing. Best season I can remember, in my 10 years.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Leaky Waders » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:42 am

I'm new to Northeast Washington but I sure haven't seen many ducks to speak of. I sure hope it has been an off season for our area.
Keep yer head down and wait 'till they're close.
Leaky Waders
Newb

Postby donell67 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:55 pm

we have had a pretty slow season. but today was the first day we got skunked.we always get a few.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby texan68 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:02 pm

its been great down here in texas, its the best season I've ever had.
texan68
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:31 pm

I'd agree with texan68, best season I've ever had, limmits every day, yesterday was the opener of the second part of the season after the split, unusually warm, bright blue skies and water slick as glass, didn't see one mallard flying, but got a limmit of ring-necks and gadwalls. Went out today, same conditions, but a little wind every now and then, saw one mallard drake, shot once, came home with one mallard drake. Supposed to get a cold front tomorow, hopefully the wind and weather get nasty for this comming wekend, when it's like that, we limmit out in an hour or so.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:37 pm

It ____ ,no can not say that word, it _______, nope not that one either, How about it stunk, yup that about summed it up for the MN duck season for many of us up here.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KO » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:12 pm

Might5 as well get used to it...unless God himself steps in...next year will be worse....my guess is that the spring population will go as low as the mid to upper 20's......so enjoy it if you got it...because the end is coming
KO
hunter

Postby texasaggie » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:19 pm

texan and shock,
check your PM's....where are y'all? Looking for ideas/advice for texas hunting opportunities.
thx
texasaggie
Newb

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:51 pm

I would like to beg different. This has been the best year so far since I started hutning. Here is one pic that duckbuster and I went on after school. 7 mallards.

Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:23 am

:yes: KO - I'd agree w/ you, but the last time that I did, I almost started a war w/ Canada :toofunny: . Wonder if that angry Canuck's gotten over it? In the interest of all duck hunters, though, it is a little frightening that so few of us are claiming success. I tend to be a little pessimistic. Glad to see mallardhunter's pic - gives reason to hope.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby KO » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:28 am

It's a sad fact, but human nature bears out one thing....those who don't learn from history are destined to repeat it. While I bear no ill will to those having a great season, it's easy to miss the big picture. It's hard to realize a problem when you sit in a migration corridor or the wintering grounds. Remember the saying "you can't see the forest for the trees"? No matter what happens with waterfowl, these people will always see birds, but the sad fact is, waterfowl exist in no where near the numbers they used to. There is no reason to believe the trend downward will stop either. Just look at who reads these posts compared to other posts. A very small number. Apathy and a lack of commitment are waterfowlings greastest enemy. Go read Dennis Anderson's article in Minneapolis Star Tribune, Go do some research at Delta's site. Read the sutdy's. Listen to the top biologist who said, "we will always have ducks to look at, but not to hunt. It's been said that 1.4 billion dollars is needed to tie up the PPR's prime habitat in the US. That says nothing about what's already been lost. It also doesn't take into Canada. I am convinced that any duck hunter in his/her 20's or 30's will live to see the end of duck hunting as we know it. And while land practices are the root cause of this, hunter apathy, and an unwillingness to demand change, allowed it to happen.
KO
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole