Shells vs full body?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Shells vs full body?

Postby teal12 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:46 am

Just wondering if any one has a preference when hunting fields of using full body decoys or shells? Pros and cons of each? Maybe opinions of using amphibious stakes and floating decoys also?
teal12
hunter

Re: Shells vs full body?

Postby Spunky » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:24 am

Bought 4 dozen last year from Rogers (the shell type). Had a dozen of the full bodies and all I'll use from now on is the shells. Lighter to carry and you can put all 4 dozen in a large bag if you remove the heads. Ducks didn't know that there wasn't a bottom on the decoy. Plus they were cheaper.
Spunky
hunter

Postby FinnLandR » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:38 am

I attach all my lines on my floaters with snap swivels on the keels, and then I can remove the lines and attach these when I want to use them in the field:
http://www.tanglefree.com/products/spec ... -duck-feet

They aren't quite as nice as full bodies, but the price was right.
FinnLandR
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:23 am

I have both and really have not noticed a difference. When I'm looking out at the spread it's hard to tell them apart so from an elevated view i'd guess they look the same. You can get 2 doz shells to a bag heads on 4 doz heads off. The FBs might have an edge on frozen ground or very soft mud where the wire bases can be used.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:57 pm

Deadly Decoy rags! Yes, rags! Lighter than shells and awesome print quality and dance in the wind a lot more than shells or full bodies ever would.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Abecks90 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:23 am

We use both in our spread. We place the full bodies in front and around our blinds,then the shells behind us. We use the thought process that shells make an awesome filler but the full bodies make a difference when the birds are close. Shells are awesome in this regard as you can carry a lot more deeks with a lot less work.
Adam
Abecks90
Newb

Postby tornadochaser » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:57 am

Abecks90 wrote:We use both in our spread. We place the full bodies in front and around our blinds,then the shells behind us. We use the thought process that shells make an awesome filler but the full bodies make a difference when the birds are close. Shells are awesome in this regard as you can carry a lot more deeks with a lot less work.
Adam

pull your fullbodies and I bet you will notice ZERO difference running all shells.
tornadochaser
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting