2013-2014 MISS. FLYWAY TRAVELING DECOY

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Re: 2013-2014 MISS. FLYWAY TRAVELING DECOY SIGN UP LIST

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:31 pm

beretta24 wrote:More pics to come but we dropped 9 on day 1. I'll update the count/species total later. It was a good hunt with doubletheshovel and suicidal_scaup. They were great hosts to get things started.

A guy backed out so day 2 plans have shifted. Could be rough without a breath of breeze blowing and blue bird skies....

still sorry bout that since them other 2 smucks backd out woulda atlest been acouple birds shot over red
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:27 am

A few more birds dropped over ginga this am. Not sure about hunting this evening but its been a solid couple of weekends with the ol gal. 4 more DHCers added to her belly too!

She'll be in the mail to woody tomorrow!

More pics and a write up coming, but here's a preview....
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1381080456731.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1381080118246.jpg
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby jaysweet3 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:50 am

Nice job. Good luck woody.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:28 am

jaysweet3 wrote:Nice job. Good luck woody.

Well we wont post numbers like you guys, but we will give it our best.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:36 am

Good luck Woody.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:27 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:

just document everything and post it up, it's not about kill totals-it's about the adventure of the traveling deek.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:06 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:

I didn't get to take Ginger with me to Canada. Shoot, the decoy is gonna be with me at my home club. It will be the opener, and I'd be happy with four for the weekend. Realistically, I bet we kill 2. Gonna be packed in the blind, half the guys can't keep down and I can't call.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:59 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:

just document everything and post it up, it's not about kill totals-it's about the adventure of the traveling deek.

Sadly Titz had to cancele, so the adventure is probably going to be less interesting, but I will document ginger's every move. :thumbsup:
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:08 pm

Tracking number...should be there Wed Woody....and titz better have a damned good excuse.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1381194435509.jpg
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:12 pm

Let's see the write up beretta!! And don't forget to tally the new kill total...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:38 pm

September 14-15 - D Comeaux - 13 -Blue Wing - Opening weekend of Teal Louisiana
September 21-22 - WesttennDuckhunter - 155 Doves for the weekend
September 28-29 - beretta24, suicidal_scaup, doubletheshovel, firefighter4231 - 8 Wood Ducks, 2 Mallards, 1 Green-winged Teal, 1 bonus coot :beer:
October 5-6 - beretta24 - 6 Blue-winged Teal, 5 Green-winged Teal, 2 Wood Ducks, 2 Doves

Grand Totals:
6 DHC Members
157 Doves
19 BWT
10 Woodducks
6 GWT
2 Mallards
1 Coot

Write will come Tuesday or Wednesday...don't want to half-ass it :thumbsup:
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:18 pm

I like the addition of DHC members.... :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Indaswamp wrote:I like the addition of DHC members.... :thumbsup:

I had a few more lined up after posting in the MN forum, but life got in the way for them. It's always great hunting with some new folks, and I had some great hosts the first Saturday and Sunday.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Papachessie » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:31 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:

If you want a grouchy old fart to show you how to really wiff on a woody, pm me. I'm probably pretty close to ya.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Re: 2013-2014 MISS. FLYWAY TRAVELING DECOY

Postby beretta24 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:36 pm

For starters I would like to throw a big thank you out to suicidal_scaup, doubletheshovel, and firefighter4231 for sharing their blinds with me on the first weekend. It was my first hunt with suicidal_scaup and doubletheshovel, and both were very generous hosts.

Day 1
Alright, so after some anticipation I received Ginger on the the Thursday prior to the hunt. So to ease her into the new surroundings we started off with a nice local brew, and ironed out details with doubletheshovel and suicidal_scaup for the Saturday AM hunt.

Come friday we were on the road to doubletheshovel's place in central MN.

We met at doubletheshovel's place and got things settle for the morning hunt. Scaup's wife was pleased to find out that this "random" guy her husband was going hunting with wasn't "a crazy murderer". In the AM we got an early jump on things to hit up a local public lake. Scaup took us accross the lake to end a breezy night. Our destination was wide on a cattail covered point. Doubletheshovel had been seeing a few birds in the area, but things are always little sketchy this time of year in MN. The early morning started partly clear but quickly gave way to some clouds as we tossed the dekes out. After getting the spread out we pushed Scaup's rig into the cattails and brushed it up for the day. They quickly learned my meticulous nature when it comes to getting things covered up.

Once the blind was greened up a bit we settled in for breakfast. Scaup spared no expense and pulled out his wife's prized griddle to make breakfast. I'll trust she's no DHC fan and that I haven't let the cat out of the bag. Here's the last bite of a solid egg/sausage sammich. It beat the hell out of the cheap cereal bars I usually take with me.

It wasn't long after the smell of sausage hit my nose that we started hearing the beautiful sound of wings whistling over our heads, just a couple yards above the tips of the cattails. The birds kept flying fairly regularly from about an hour before shooting and the anticipation grew as we listened to them between cracking jokes and sharing memories of past hunts. As LST hit the frequency of birds diminished somewhat but there was still a number of teal and wood ducks working our side of the lake. It only took a few minutes for a group of birds to dropped in over the dekes. After a quick round of shots 3 woodies hit the water. It was a good start.

With the clouds came rain and limited some of the photo opportunities, but here's a quick blurry shot of the spread. Ol' Ginger was on the outside of the spread drawing them in.

The rain continued and wind kept up throughout the AM. We scratched out a couple more wood ducks, and then had some teal skirted the decoys. A couple of shots and one green-wing fell. Scaup hopped out after the teal and brought it back to the boat. In one of those can't forget moments, Scaup tossed he teal to the boat, but as the bird reached the edge of the blind its wings spread and it took off as though it had never been hit. I was a bit slow on the uptake but doubletheshovel drew a bead on the bird and dropped it. It wasn't the first itme I have seen a bird "come to", but nevertheless it added a great memory to the trip. Plus, it was confirmation that doubletheshovel could actualluy hit what he was shooting at. :hi:

We wrapped up the hunt with a straggler woodie and hen mallard. At least that was just before doubletheshovel's buddy hopped out to walk through some potholes behind us. We heard a quick round of shots, and he returned with a prized and often discounted wily american coot. We said we wanted to put some numbers in the boat and he didn't disappoint. :beer:

At the end of the day we had a great safe hunt, and I made some good friends that share our same passion for the sport of waterfowling. Here are the day's results with, from left to right, Scaup, myself, and doubletheshovel.
We didn't take the waterfowling world by storm but we have a solid hunt, shared some good stories, and established some new friendships. I'd hunt with those guys again any day.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:44 pm

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: awesome write up Beretta!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: lets keep it going!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:49 pm

Day 2
I had some plans to meet up with another DHC member, but his plans got interrupted so I headed back home and made plans to hit up a new lake with firefighter4231 on Sunday. We got to the lake early and headed out to get a spot. It turned out that the lake we were expecting to be rather muddy had a mostly hard sand bottom. So we ditched his rig and set up a few dekes at the mouth of a creek.

The early morning was silent and we were a bit discouraged with the lack of activity on the water except for a few carp breaking the surface now and then. Just before LST a lone mallard dropped into the dekes. As legal shooting time came.....

wait for it....

that bird got SWATTED as she had no intention of flying after I raised to shoot. We waited a half hour longer for a wood duck to buzz into the decoys after evading the shots from a nearby party. She was shot and the bag for the day doubled....it was a highlight to the morning. Even firefighter's lab got bored with the morning's events so we pack it up early. That wrapped up the weekend so I started making plans for the next round with Ginger.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:53 pm

Day 3 and 4
As the week slowly passed I got anxious and headed out for some scouting. As a result I was able to drop a modest two doves to add to Westie's very solid count from weekend #2. Ginger didn't mind as she was just happy to get out between weekends.

The plan was to head out Saturday morning to scout further for the first evening hunt of the year. Typically, the first evening hunt is a good opportunity to pick off some giant canada geese. I arrived at my brother's placed about an hour before LST to collect his lab. I had lived with him over much of the past year and had somewhat adopted his lab, Cedar, since his kids had shifted priorities a bit. She was cranked up to run loose and get back to hunting after a 2 week break since the opening weekend. She's working on her fifth season but only her second with substantial time in the field. We headed behind his place to a public lake, but we were worked back to a more remote bay that keeps most folks away due to the low water.

As we arrived I noticed the water was lower than I had ever seen it. The bay was surrounded by a good ten yards of exposed mud between the water and cattails. I tossed Ginger out with just a couple other mallard dekes, as far as I dared walk out alone, and sat back to see where the birds were moving. The morning errupted with more teal than I had seen in the area in more than a decade. A steady mix of blue and green-wing teal buzzed the bay as I sat back and waiting for a good opportunity. A single green-wing dropped in real close so I introduced her to Ginger in the still water.

Just minutes after LST waves of wood ducks crossed the bay and sailed on the edge of shooting range overhead. I passed on the opportunity because I was hoping to shoot a couple over the dekes in the evening when I could pick out some mature drakes, and share the hunt with my brother. I also passed on a number of shots in front as I was concerned about sending Cedar into the gumbo for a mere teal. To test the situation I tossed the greenwing I already shot out about 15 yards straight in front and sent Cedar to retreive it. Then first fifteen feet or so was fine, but it took over a minute for her to move than last three feet to the bird. Here's a couple shots of the gumbo she was working through.
After that little experiment I confirmed my choice to pass on anything over the water/mud. I stayed there for an hour or so and then walked about a half mile to check out the shore of the main lake. We jumped a lone blue-wing on the way that got us to two birds before the evening hunt. The goose numbers were strangely low so I talked my borther into hunting a section of the bay that the would allow the dog to retreive birds freely.

After retreating to his place for warm meal and a shower took a nap before heading out for the evening hunt. We set up a dozen duck decoys and a couple decoys on a point in the same bay I scouted in the AM. The wind was still calm and I didn't want a large spread without movement. not long after we setup a small group of green-wings shot across the outer edge of the decoys and we dropped three birds. I got quick shot of a pair of them before the rain moved in again.
We wrapped up the evening by dropping a pair of wood ducks on their return from the afternoon feeding grounds. If you have ever wondered why, at least in my opinion, wood ducks are some of the best table fair here's why....
Those acorns were from a single bird. Good clean nutrients that don't impact the meat flavor like birds that are feeding on crustaceans and the like.
Last edited by beretta24 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:34 pm

Day 5
I was stuck on another solo hunt due to some conflicts with firefighter4231 and my brother's schedule so I headed to the same bay I hunted the evening before with Cedar at my side. It's worth noting that the evening before she had perhaps her best retrieves after chasing down a crippled wood duck on a 100+ yard retrieve. As satisfying as it is not to lose a bird it always puts a big smile on my face knowing that it never would have been possible without having the pup. Plus, I could see she was coming into her prime after getting some solid time in the field.

On this morning I put out a dozen and a half duck decoys and a spinner to help in the early light. As a soft glow appeared on the eastern horizon I knew I was in for a treat. The wood ducks had already visited and left the spread earlier, on their way to the feeding grounds, but regardless of the action mother nature was poised to show off a little in the sunrise department.

But before I had a chance to enjoy the scenery, LST greeted us with a steady flow of teal. The shoot started with a single blue-wing gliding on the edge of the decoys. After a single shot Cedar was on the bird for a quick start to the day. Before she could return the first bird another pair swept in and landed on the right side of the spread amongst some lily pads. I waited for Cedar to reach the shore and I stood up and dropped the pair as they tried to exit the decoys. She retrieved them in short order and briefly waited for the next opportunity.

The pup was working great and the birds were committing well. I cannot think of a complaint beyond wishing someone else was there to enjoy the hunt with me. I barely had a chance to enjoy the events of the morning before a green-wing plopped down less than ten feet from where we were standing. Cedar saw the bird and looked back at me with anticipation. I motioned for her to go ahead and she took a step outside the blind to get the teal to flush. Embarrassingly I missed on the first shot but connected on the second. She responded with another quick retrieve.

We waited no more than a few seconds before another pair of blue-wings sucked into the lure of Ginger. Again, I missed on the first shot but connected on the second and third. Cedar was off to retrieve the second dropped bird which was eagerly swimming towards the far shore of the bay. She quickly closed the gap but the teal dove. Cedar circled a couple times before picking up on the ripples from the retreating bird as it resurfaced. Again she closed the ground only to have the teal dive. This time she kept her pace and was on top of the bird as it surfaced again. She snatched it up and returned it to hand before heading out for the last bird of the day. In the end, even she was pleased with her work.

It seemed like longer, but as I checked my phone I found we had just enjoyed a fantastic 15 minutes of hunting. I chose to wait out the remainder of the morning to see if any geese would work back to the lake. As we waited, I took in one of the best sunrises I have ever seen. It creeped up just ahead of some heavy fog and clouds.
It wasn't that the sunrise itself was beyond something I ever seen before, but the sense of pride in the way the pup worked and knowing that we both made the most of the opportunities presented added a little bit of pleasure to the morning. Simply put, the last day over the rambler was one to remember.

Here's to hoping a little luck rubs off on the next recipients.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:35 am

Super write-up.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:55 am

Rick Hall wrote:Super write-up.

Agreed

Reminds me of my write ups.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:58 am

Excellent beretta.
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:13 am

Great write up and pictures beretta :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:28 am

Heck of a write up Beretta24. You've set the bar high for the rest of us that's for sure :yes:

That last picture is a Mounter for sure.
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:29 am

Great write up Beretta!
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole