GHG honkers late arrival.

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

GHG honkers late arrival.

Postby jellotree » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:10 am

Looks like the date of arrival of the GHG Honkers has been pushed back according to the site of a Canadian retailer I buy from. Was Aug 26, now Sep 9..... Early goose season starts Sep 5 here. My guess is it will be pushed back again. What a joke.

Looks like I'll be buying the Higdon Alphas (prob get the FFDs). Screw GHG.... they need to get their crap together.
jellotree
hunter

Re: GHG honkers late arrival.

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:46 am

I got a set of the painted walkers to try out from John Higdon last season. They easilly look as good or betther than my GHG Progrades. and are a truer color imo. Good price too. :thumbsup:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby blackwagon » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:32 pm

GHG is cutting there own throats by not getting there product out on time!!
blackwagon
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:29 am

Having it happen one year is tollerable. Having it happen a second is unforgivable............ They are going to lose a lot of customers.......................
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby blackwagon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:03 am

They have one great thing going for them they got alot of prostaffers that should keep them in business bc they dont know any better and they keep sticking up for a product that keeps failing instead of being a staffer telling them what they need to change to make the product better and make more people want their product instead they get on these forums and talk how good it is or if you have a problem call customer service and not one staffer piped up and said anything about this issue. Wonder why that is? You know there has been atleast 100 of there staffers see this post!!!!
blackwagon
hunter

Postby jellotree » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:18 am

Well, I bought the Higdon Alphas. Painted ones. They look just fine and the customer service is outstanding (Had dealt with Higdon before). I was in the middle of reflocking heads on my older GHGs, so I did the tails on the new Higdons. Looks great!
Last edited by jellotree on Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
jellotree
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:18 am

HA!!! Glad you attended each of our flyway meeting this year. :no: if you had ever sat through one of those, you would know that is not the case. You obviously don't know any Avery staff guys very well because if you did, you would know we b!tch more than anyone. The honkers got re-done because of our input, that's why you are waiting. Kcco folks, sucks for the guys up north to not have decoys, but I know for a fact Rogers has some right now.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby blackwagon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:07 am

Glad to see a staffer step up and say something!!!
blackwagon
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:18 am

If you want resters and sleepers in the old style dekes you can get them and the new style actives that are painted (not fully flocked). Tell me that everyone on this forum that wants Avery decoys can get hooked up just by going to Rogers?? I don't think so. Why would you back a company that doesn't back "themselves" with quality of goods and services for customers? I'd be embarrassed. They just look at PROFITS. Think about it, all these "pros" that use their products get rid of them the next year and get new so you don't see them whining about it because they don't have too. BTW watch Shawn Stahl's videos he is one of few "pros" still using the older style dekes and incorporating the new ones in his spread because the older dekes are top notch compared to the new line.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:33 am

Do you own any of the new Decoys?
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Black Smoke » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:09 am

I did. Ran 4 dozen last year and the paint flaked like a mother and they were bagged. I was much happier with the older ones.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:00 pm

Plastic has been redone, and will hold the paint better. The postures on the new honkers are spot on IMHO, look way more life like.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Black Smoke » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Ok Shaun, I'm just asking but do you have the newest of new dekes from them I am assuming you do but why wouldn't they have used the same plastic and paint/flocking process on the new ones compared to old? Do you think they are really saving money this way? If I was them I would worry about the quality before the quantity output because IMO the old ones were great paint/flocking wise. I do agree the new postures are great tho.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby jellotree » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:34 pm

SPatrick wrote:Plastic has been redone, and will hold the paint better. The postures on the new honkers are spot on IMHO, look way more life like.

Oh, I like the looks of em, but if they're not available, I guess I had to buy something else. I still like my PG duck floaters, but I dont expect Avery to do much if I had a problem with them. I had a problem with an Avery dog blind. They wanted me to send it back at my expense..... From Canada. Hardly worth it. Higdon, and Rigem right both just wanted pics and sent me replacements.
jellotree
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:59 pm

Black Smoke wrote:Ok Shaun, I'm just asking but do you have the newest of new dekes from them I am assuming you do but why wouldn't they have used the same plastic and paint/flocking process on the new ones compared to old? Do you think they are really saving money this way? If I was them I would worry about the quality before the quantity output because IMO the old ones were great paint/flocking wise. I do agree the new postures are great tho.

I have last years run of Canada's, the newest run of honkers are not in the states yet from what I understand. I am not a decoy carver, nor do I know everything there is to know about paint, plastics and such,I'm just a head knocker, prior to what a lot of people think, the folks down there are constantly trying to improve upon the decoys. Truly when you get down to it, you can only do so much about QC over in China.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:45 pm

Shaun isnt lieing one bit. All of us run are gear pretty hard. No one there is afraid to let Avery know if they see any issues.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:35 pm

Lol, I forgot Justin got his first glimpse of the b!tch session this year, eye opening to say the least. :lol3:
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby blackwagon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:07 am

Why would ghg quit making one product before they have there new product ready? I am not no business man by any means but that just seems ridiculous to me! I know they have lost alot of money do to the fact they cant ever have there product out on time due to product not being ready!!!! Im glad they are getting to perfect before sending it out keep up the good work!!!!! :clapping:
blackwagon
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:14 am

The joys of sourcing product from china. Take presale orders, get production set up in china, try to get enough decoys made to cover sales distribution without getting stuck with a warehouse full of extra inventory, try to manage quality control, and hope that the commies get it right and get the order on a boat in a reasonable amount of time. Any one thing goes wrong and you're s.o.l.

I'd rather see a decoy delayed but have no flaws than a decoy arrive on time and fall apart though...sucks for the koolaiders that need the latest and greatest every year though.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:25 pm

OK folks,
Hang on to your hats!
I changed an order from FA lessers at Cabela's because they were on back order, and ordered Tim Newbolds lessers from Macks Prairie Wings and was told two to four weeks before they could ship. OK, so I'm not changing back, I'll wait, because that's still before our season here.
Then I get an Email today from Macks saying not to expect delivery before Oct 15th instead!
I call Avery. They have the Tim Newbold lessers in stock now! Right now!
What goes on here with Macks?

Tried calling their Customer service, they directed me to Stuttgart, and no answer there. Maybe tomorrow?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:49 am

Yeah thats weird, Rogers has piles of the newbolds BTW, not trying to take business from anyone, but I am very surprised macks does not have those in.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:18 pm

I was basically trying to bulk up my decoy spread with an order of lessers from either Cabela's first, or Mack's, and now I don't feel confident with either of them because of this B/O issue.
So out of the clear blue I see where a guy in my own little town is selling GHG standard fb decoys with ring stands at less price than the lessers and for 1 and a 1/2 doz, and in good shape.
Guess how I went?
Cancelling the Tim Newbold lessers order tomorrow.
Now, how to Load 2 doz fb standard geese on top of 4 doz shells, and bagged heads for same, and then add 2 doz fb duck decoys on top of those, and then cover all that with a bag of brush up for a 6 man blind, and all that squeezed in next to a transport kennel that holds my 100 lb Lab?

Now I thought I had the answer all figured out, and I'd work on the wife to let me have a cap for my new Ford F150, and to that end, I'd split the rest of the time I had to train my Lab between hand signals and teaching him to shiver.
That way I could just snap my fingers and tell the Lab to "Show Mom how cold you are" and she'd want him to not suffer, and I'd get the cap.
I didn't marry her because she's stupid, she's not, and being a 90* day in August it was just too hard a sell, even tho the Lab was vibrating so violently he was sliding sideways across the patio.
I guess I'll have to settle for a cargo net.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum