Hunting Broome County this weekend?

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Hunting Broome County this weekend?

Postby Barnegetter » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:19 pm

Hey guys. I saw some people from Broome County posting and I was just curious if anyone is hunting this weekend. I lived in Johnson City my whole life and moved to NJ for work about 5 years ago. I'm coming up for the SW opener. I'm going to hunt near Whitney Point on Friday in that zone and then most likely hunt the Susquehana over the weekend if the river isn't too high. I have a new dog and it means more to me to put her in the right environment. Shoot me a PM If anyone wants to meet at the ramps. Good luck!

PS...Anyone ever hunt Montezuma? Is there access besides the State run blinds? Can it be asked by motor boat?
Barnegetter
hunter

Postby IRISH56 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:46 pm

Can't help ya w/Broome Cty. but Montezuma is strictly controlled access. Reservations required, limited to two per party, total of 20?? parties, 20 shells, must have boat without motor and no - you can't hunt anywhere other than the pond open for hunting, 3 days a week I think.

Check out there website for a PH # for information. Oh yeah - you must have a state waterfowl ID course, everyone that hunts.

DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:03 pm

Irish, you're talking about the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge (federal land). Hunting on the refuge is tightly controlled, as you have described. However, north of the refuge is Howland Island and the Northern Montezuma Complex, this is state land and much of it is open to hunting. I would recommend getting a map of the area and scouting it out because it is large and made up of different parcels. Motor boat access to the state land would be tough except possibly for areas adjacent to the Seneca River (Howland Island).
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Barnegetter » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:21 pm

Thanks guys. I would love to get up to the North side WMA. It seems like it must be a waterfowl mecca. I would also like to get a day in the state blinds. It must be great. I appreciate the replies. Good luck.
Barnegetter
hunter

Montezuma regs for 2006

Postby Bluebillsandhightides » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:19 am

There will extra USFW and NY DEC at Montezuma this year, read the regs

2006 WATERFOWL HUNT REGULATIONS - MONTEZUMA NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE

TUESDAYS, THURSDAYS AND SATURDAYS OCTOBER 21 – DECEMBER 5, 2006

Tschache Pool - RESERVATIONS
Up to 20 reservations per day (Maximum of 2 people per reservation).

AREA REGULATIONS
Boats are required & limited to 1 boat per reservation. Motors are prohibited. Hunting sites selected by a free roam system.
Malone-Foster Tract
RESERVATIONS
Up to 5 reservations per day (Maximum of 3 people per reservation).
AREA REGULATIONS
Hunting sites/blinds are numbered and designated at the time of reservations; each party must stay within 100 feet of their designated blind.

***This year’s changes are marked in ITALICS**

RESERVATIONS
Telephone reservations taken from 8:30am to 9:00am on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays for the next hunt day (call Tuesday to hunt Thursday, call Thursday to hunt Saturday). The reservation telephone number is (315) 568-4136.

***RESERVATIONS FOR OPENING DAY WILL BE TAKEN ON 10/12/06, 8:30am to 9:00am.***
All reservations are first-come, first-served. Persons with a reservation may bring 1 companion for Tschache Pool or 2 companions for Malone-Foster. Hunters reserve the parking area of their choice while making their hunt reservation.

CHECK-IN
All hunters with reservations (and their companions) must check in at least 1 hour before legal shooting time (1 ½ hrs. before sunrise) or forfeit their reservation. Check-in for Tschache Pool is at the Hunter Check Station, Route 89 and at the end of Van Dyne Spoor Rd. in Savannah for Malone-Foster.

** Daily permit cards available at each check-in area.
** Complete PART A of the permit card at check-in & leave it & $10 fee with the attendant at the
check-in area.
** Carry PART B of the permit card while hunting on the Refuge. Complete it at the end of the
hunt day and leave it in the box at Tschache Pool or at the Malone-Foster check-in area.

FEES: A $10.00 per reservation fee is required. Fee w/Golden Age or Golden Access Passport = $5.00.

ADDITIONAL REGULATIONS

Each hunter is limited to 25 non-toxic shells. No shooting from the dike or road.

Hunting ends at 12:00 noon local time. All hunters must be checked out by 1:00pm local time.

Successful completion of the New York State Waterfowl Identification Course, the Montezuma Non-Resident Waterfowl Identification Course or a suitable non-resident State Waterfowl Identification Course is REQUIRED to hunt the Refuge by all hunters.

USE OR POSSESSION OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES WHILE HUNTING IS PROHIBITED
VEHICLES BLOCKING GATES OR ROADS WILL RESULT IN A CITATION AND A FINE
RESPECT ADJACENT LANDOWNERS' PROPERTY—PLEASE DO NOT TRESPASS

Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge
3395 Route 5/20 East
Seneca Falls, New York 13148
(315) 568-5987
PAnties aren't the greatest thing in the world but, close to it.

Insainity = doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results
Bluebillsandhightides
Newb

Postby IRISH56 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:49 am

Add a bike with a pull cart for Howland Island. Hunted it two years ago and did a LOT of hiking. Nice place though, saw a ton of ducks!!

DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Postby watchman34 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:09 pm

yup i hunt broome county.I,ve seen the geese land(upper lisle part of the lake)on the inlet.There a tree that has got washed down,you can still see the roots popping up.From there on up the inlet about 400 yards.roughly around 300-400 birds were landing there.We hunted up in killawag(I dont think i spelled it right)next to the river.We shot 17 geese 5 ducks.we stayed out there untill 2:00 and they were still coming.We had at one point about 1500 geese over head.They all lifted from this pond.Ive never seen anything like it.
All i know about the rivers is that there high right now.(oct,29)If we dont have rain they should be down to reg level.The birds are flying every were.
good luck
locked cocked and ready to rock! TEAM BROOME COUNTY
Now and then a bird flies into my steel shot.
watchman34
hunter

Postby Barnegetter » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:03 pm

Wow!! Sounds like you had a great hunt! My dad and I hunted the Western opener last weekend. Very high water but we had a decent hunt. There were a lot of mallards and 4 woodies and 3 teal all decoyed. We weren't exactly shooting the best. The dog started to get a bit annoyed. Nothing like you had but, it was still respectable. We could have both had a limit if we were on our game. I have been using the Briley Duck choke tube in my Benelli and it seems a bit tight. I went pheasant hunting and was 5/5 but I can't seem to kill ducks with it. I hunted it twice last year and the same thing. Anyone use this same setup?????
Barnegetter
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting