New Shotgun, Decoys, Shells

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, quackadikt, ghostingrey

New Shotgun, Decoys, Shells

Postby Rivr2319 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:00 pm

Hey there NM Waterfowl Family! I've been searching the interwebs and local sporting good stores for a New shotgun for the upcoming seasons. If anyone knows any good deals going on or anything rather on the economic side, please let me know. I've been scouting out a Stoeger 3500 as of late because it seems affordable and can still hold it's own. Also I'm interested in some new deeks! I love Carry-Lite, which I have seen at Charlies' (I think that's what it's called) and TangleFree at Sportsman's too.

Also the best shells I've seen that are cheap and awesome are Rio Shotgun Shells. I love them for Upland and Waterfowl. I had a chance to use them back in California last year in the late season.
KUPT UP AND KOMMITED
TAKE EM'!!!
Rivr2319
hunter

Re: New Shotgun, Decoys, Shells

Postby randy marci » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:50 pm

I used to buy shells here and there and found it to be a costly expense every week by the time I drove somewhere and paid sales tax. I discovered Rogers sporting goods in Missouri and haven't looked back. I buy the 3" fiochii for 115 a case shipped to my door step. They also have deals on decoys.
this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby Rivr2319 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Really Now? That is a great price for a case. I'll check them out. Thank you for the heads up!
KUPT UP AND KOMMITED
TAKE EM'!!!
Rivr2319
hunter

Postby Living Fowl » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:17 am

I found two cases at ****'s in Albuquerque 3" 3 shot Winchester for $50 for 100 rounds havent been back to see if they have any more though. that should get me through the season but its the cheapest ive ever seen them.
Living Fowl
hunter

Postby Rivr2319 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:22 pm

3's are perfect for ducks. I'll have to stop by. Do they have a selection of shotguns, also?
KUPT UP AND KOMMITED
TAKE EM'!!!
Rivr2319
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:43 pm

Roger's is the place to buy steel shot. I paid $99 shipped for a case of Federal Blue Box 3" #4s, I haven't seen any comparable prices anywhere. As far as shotguns go, if you want my honest opinion, I'd spend the money on a high quality pump before I spent it on an entry level semi-auto. Another option is to look for a used Win SX2/SX3, Browning Gold/Silver, Beretta 390/391 etc. I'd buy a used "B" gun before I bought a new Stoeger.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby troutbum43 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:01 am

I've had a long history of issues with my Stoeger 2000, and a few of my friends that also have the Stoeger 2000 have had the same issues with it (does not always fire, had a retaining screw blow out the side of my receiver and had to send back under warranty, etc). I'd buy a high end auto loader or for the same price as the Stoeger a good pump. Nothing good has come from buying the mid range auto loader, if I could go back in time I would have bought the 870 Waterfowler model and went for the reliability, there are probably 30+ ducks alive today because my Stoeger failed on me.
Conserve, promote, protect and enhance...then harvest!
troutbum43
hunter

Postby Rivr2319 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:35 am

Yeah i have been reading mixed reviews on stoegers. That 870 seems good. My dad has had his for 40+ years and he still uses it. The limb saver makes it a Cadillac of a gun.
KUPT UP AND KOMMITED
TAKE EM'!!!
Rivr2319
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting