Homemade surface drive mud motor

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Homemade surface drive mud motor

Postby mmw1015 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:55 pm

I just finished my 9.5 hp Kroler Mud Motor. I have a problem. I have a problem when my prop goes below surface.
It bogs the motor down bad. I am running a 8x4 prop with a 3.5" sprocket on the engine and a 2" sprocket on the
prop shaft. It is my first mud motor so I my have the reduction wrong. Should the prop be turning slower than the motor?
Attachments
010.jpg
010.jpg (31.12 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
mmw1015
Newb

Re: Homemade surface drive mud motor

Postby FreeSteve » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:43 pm

I built one of these last year
Your prop should be spinning faster than your motor
Are you belt drive or chain?
I never had a bogging problem with my 5hp
FreeSteve
Newb

Postby Txduckmen » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:46 pm

Flip em over. Put the small one on the engine, big one on the shaft. A reduction reduces the driven equipments speed from the driver. The way you have it, you have rpms, but losing torque. Also play with it, and figure out where the prop should go. My go devil likes the tip of the prop at the surface, before cranking it up.
Txduckmen
hunter

Postby mmw1015 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:22 pm

How deep should I be running the prop when in full speed? When you say tip of the prop are you speaking of top tip or bottom tip?
mmw1015
Newb

Postby Txduckmen » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:52 pm

The top of the prop for mine. At WOT it looks like its almost completely out of the water. I seen you other post about not sure about pulleys. What kind of drive is it, chain or belt. If belt, what kind of belt and pulleys.
Txduckmen
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:10 pm

Txduckmen wrote:Flip em over. Put the small one on the engine, big one on the shaft. A reduction reduces the driven equipments speed from the driver. The way you have it, you have rpms, but losing torque. Also play with it, and figure out where the prop should go. My go devil likes the tip of the prop at the surface, before cranking it up.

^^^what he said...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting