2013-2014 public comment meeting .

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

Re: 2013-2014 public comment meeting .

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:07 pm

bowhunter1212 wrote:LEWDOG are you the guy that asked DGIF if they could make land owners say yes when you asked if you could hunt there property. lol what was that cat smoking.A 2 week split make great sense .Shoot em for couple weeks then let them rest and rebuild 2 weeks.

A 2 week split make great sense
You my friend have a problem and it has nothing to do with smoking something , the first half of the season which we are talking about, birds are on the move and on days with wind coming out of the North the push is on . OK now do a study between Nov 1 to Dec. 20 (50 days) and count all of the North something wind days and see for yourself that anything over 4 days is allowing birds to move through without a worry .
Oh by the way No one said anything about making land owners do anything .

:smile: LD :wink:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby bowhunter1212 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:24 pm

Yea there was some guy there that asked Gary Costanzo if there was some way that they could make land owners allow people to hunt Their property. The change that has been asked for is only one week when duck numbers are generally low move those days to the front of the season because you cannot add to the end. This would put us in line with Maryland and North Carolina . It would also give the birds a 2 week break instead of 1.Just common sense if you ask me . It would not affect any college or high school kids cause school is in both of those weeks. Anyone that tries to manage his hunting spots would agree that 2 weeks rest is better than one .
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:48 pm

bowhunter1212 wrote:Yea there was some guy there that asked Gary Costanzo if there was some way that they could make land owners allow people to hunt Their property. The change that has been asked for is only one week when duck numbers are generally low move those days to the front of the season because you cannot add to the end. This would put us in line with Maryland and North Carolina . It would also give the birds a 2 week break instead of 1.Just common sense if you ask me . It would not affect any college or high school kids cause school is in both of those weeks. Anyone that tries to manage his hunting spots would agree that 2 weeks rest is better than one .

NO you are wrong , I asked if there was a way for a tax write off to landowner for allowing snow goose hunting near back bay and on Eastern shore . I don't see your need to discuss it in this thread but if you are going to you dang sure need to have the facts right .
As far as the week move and forcing a two week split in the first of Dec. it's going to take a heck of a lot more then 2 hunters with a letter and someone on a forum talking about common sense or the lack there of .

:smile: LD :wink:
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby bowhunter1212 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:13 pm

i figured that was you lewdog :hammer: :lol:
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby DUKSLAYA92 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:43 pm

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:
DUKSLAYA92 wrote:So...you're opposed to moving the duck season because you want to deer hunt that week? Why not just say that? Most of the other reasons you listed directly support that notion.

Not entirely, and it's not the biggest reason. The main reason is because November is a bad month for puddler hunters not in the SE corner of the state, especially the first half. Having to choose between ducks and the rut just complicates things even more, but it's not the #1 reason. Maybe I should've been more clear and just said that. Oh, wait... I did-

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:Ask guys who kill birds and don't live in the SE corner of the state, and 90% of them will say that November is the worst month, especially early. And for divers, it's obvious. Moving days from Decmber into November would only benefit those of you in the far SE, the rest of us would be hurt by such a move.

DUKSLAYA92 wrote:I'll leave with this thought.....if the all the above info on duck migration is true, why does NC (a state that is further south than VA) open a week earlier than VA? And not in zones, statewide.

Don't know, don't care. Could be bad management.

Yeah, you're probably right. What would folks in Currituck and Pamlico know about ducks and migrations? Its brilliant management actually, they get a pop at ducks that fly right through good ol' virginny and never get shot at until they arrive in NC. Those same ducks that everyone gets all excited about when they see them while brushing blinds are setting in another state when our season comes in. And that IS a fact....jack.
DUKSLAYA92
hunter

Postby bowhunter1212 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:08 pm

AMEN dukslay . :clapping:
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:39 am

All waterfowl (except for resident geese) fly some sort of migration, might not be all the way down South but never the less they are moving in some direction. The amount of daylight triggers this and thats why we are seeing the early migrators;Bluewings, Pintails, Shovelers etc. Every year these ducks that fly thru the state use basically the same flights paths, land marks, valleys to get where they are going and it seems that we miss a majority of these with the season out. I don't think that moving the season ahead 7 days and setting the third split back 7 days is going to be a total disaster. It seems that our neighbors to the North and South have figured this out and are capitalizing on this. Virginia needs to adjust and get in line with the program.
We hunt just about every day of the season and our most successful hunts (with the most birds seen) have been in public areas the first week of the season in November. This is thirty years of waterfowling the same areas...theres a pattern folks! :thumbsup:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:21 am

Islander Gunner wrote:All waterfowl (except for resident geese) fly some sort of migration, might not be all the way down South but never the less they are moving in some direction. The amount of daylight triggers this and thats why we are seeing the early migrators;Bluewings, Pintails, Shovelers etc. Every year these ducks that fly thru the state use basically the same flights paths, land marks, valleys to get where they are going and it seems that we miss a majority of these with the season out. I don't think that moving the season ahead 7 days and setting the third split back 7 days is going to be a total disaster. It seems that our neighbors to the North and South have figured this out and are capitalizing on this. Virginia needs to adjust and get in line with the program.
We hunt just about every day of the season and our most successful hunts (with the most birds seen) have been in public areas the first week of the season in November. This is thirty years of waterfowling the same areas...theres a pattern folks! :thumbsup:

The head of the nail was hit here and I agree that moving ahead 7 days won't be a disaster but a two week break is too long . How about adding another split which would make all the splits only 4 or 5 days long ?
I don't fear change and if the powers to be go with this I will hunt it .
Every year these ducks that fly thru the state use basically the same flights paths, land marks, valleys and the river system to get where they are going
To add to this the migration flyways change for the North trip and the early migrators hit cold weather here on the Chesapeake bay watershed and everyone gets birds.

:clapping: LD :smile:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:41 am

DUKSLAYA92 wrote:Yeah, you're probably right. What would folks in Currituck and Pamlico know about ducks and migrations?

Based solely on where they live? Absolutely nothing. Just like not everyone who lives in NYC is a financial expert. But duck hunters I know in that region say they see a good push of puddlers some years in early November, so good for them. What's not up for debate here is whether or not the SE corner of VA and the eastern side of NC get that push (we all agree that they do), but whether zones would be a better solution than a blanket move for the entire state into November. I'm all in favor of zones, especially for the SE corner of the state, just not a move for the rest of us into November.

But speaking of that area, good God has their puddler hunting been HORRIBLE the past couple seasons. Just off-the-charts deplorable. Super awesome tuna fishing, spectacularly bad puddler hunting. Guys I know who guide and run charters down there come to the VA mountains to kill puddlers and geese. Truth.

DUKSLAYA92 wrote:Its brilliant management actually, they get a pop at ducks that fly right through good ol' virginny and never get shot at until they arrive in NC. Those same ducks that everyone gets all excited about when they see them while brushing blinds are setting in another state when our season comes in. And that IS a fact....jack.

Just a quick piece of advice: quoting Duck Commander has a negative effect on people taking you seriously.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:48 am

Islander Gunner wrote:All waterfowl (except for resident geese) fly some sort of migration, might not be all the way down South but never the less they are moving in some direction.

A heck of a lot of birds are short-stopping their traditional wintering grounds. Like, a lot. A whole lot.

Islander Gunner wrote:I don't think that moving the season ahead 7 days and setting the third split back 7 days is going to be a total disaster.

Sure wouldn't, there are far more important things in life. But it would be somewhat of a waste of 10% of the allotted duck days for many of us who don't hunt in your region. Hence the support for zones.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:58 am

Sure wouldn't, there are far more important things in life. But it would be somewhat of a waste of 10% of the allotted duck days for many of us who don't hunt in your region. Hence the support for zones.

I could be wrong but DGIF said zones have to be allowed in the federal framework before we could go with them and it will be a few years before the door will open to ask for the zoning for Virginia .

:huh: LD :smile:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:13 pm

I guess we'll find out in a couple weeks what will happen. We'll probably have the same seasons as years past. I will be surprised if they altered the season but it sure would be nice to be in the blind earlier in November. Maybe if the waterfowl biologist for the state can gather enough data based on birds counts in November it will help things move along. However, all this talk of duck season dates has got me realizing that in a few short months, it will be here. Time is flyng by and picking up speed with each day. :eek:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby DUKSLAYA92 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:38 pm

DUKSLAYA92 wrote:Yeah, you're probably right. What would folks in Currituck and Pamlico know about ducks and migrations?

Based solely on where they live? Absolutely nothing. Just like not everyone who lives in NYC is a financial expert. But duck hunters I know in that region say they see a good push of puddlers some years in early November, so good for them. What's not up for debate here is whether or not the SE corner of VA and the eastern side of NC get that push (we all agree that they do), but whether zones would be a better solution than a blanket move for the entire state into November. I'm all in favor of zones, especially for the SE corner of the state, just not a move for the rest of us into November.

But speaking of that area, good God has their puddler hunting been HORRIBLE the past couple seasons. Just off-the-charts deplorable. Super awesome tuna fishing, spectacularly bad puddler hunting. Guys I know who guide and run charters down there come to the VA mountains to kill puddlers and geese. Truth.

DUKSLAYA92 wrote:Its brilliant management actually, they get a pop at ducks that fly right through good ol' virginny and never get shot at until they arrive in NC. Those same ducks that everyone gets all excited about when they see them while brushing blinds are setting in another state when our season comes in. And that IS a fact....jack.

Just a quick piece of advice: quoting Duck Commander has a negative effect on people taking you seriously.

Just a bit of advice back to you....living in Harrisonburg and calling oneself "Tangier Island Slacker" doesn't give you any credibility when you are trying to talk about things on the coast, fishing, ducks or otherwise.
DUKSLAYA92
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:44 pm

You do realize that it's possible to live in multiple regions throughout one's life, and even to hunt multiple states/regions every year... right? I mean, I know being a stone cold "SLAYA" takes a level of single-minded focus that the rest of us can only dream of achieving, but there are a few guys out there with a wide array if experiences.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby DUKSLAYA92 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Wow...touchy touchy. Sorry I drew out such a visceral response to defend your username. You can go back to ruling the DHC roost. You win.

Psssst.....I'm not really a "slaya", I just play one on the internet.
DUKSLAYA92
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Of course our puddle duck hunting has gone to $#!+. It's not going to get any better either. That's what happens when you give them thousands of acres of corn that has been mowed down and flooded. They have just about completely quit using traditional feeding areas and now live in both public and private impoundments that are never hunted. They come out at night to get sand and are back in there at daylight. Come mid-February when all the food is gone and they start draining them, it looks just like the old days on the shoals on the outer banks, pintails, gadwall and widgeon ass deep to a giraffe.

Those same impoundments are probably part of the reason ducks pass right through states to the north of us. They know what's waiting for them when they get here.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:49 pm

Other than for the experience of hunting some where different, anyone that comes here to hunt puddle ducks is pretty much wasting their time. It's not what it used to be and never will be again.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:39 pm

With all the talk on 1 thing I forgot about this that was talked about at the meeting , I see that the staff is going with it .
The possession limit is three times the daily bag limit.

:smile: LD :thumbsup:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:17 am

ncbufflehead wrote:Other than for the experience of hunting some where different, anyone that comes here to hunt puddle ducks is pretty much wasting their time. It's not what it used to be and never will be again.

We went in January each of the last two years for the bluefin and to party, the ducks were mostly an afterthought. We looked at renting impoundments each year, but even the owners of those said it wasn't worth it and they'd feel bad taking the money so we "hunted" the sound. I think a far bigger problem for you open water guys than the impoundments is birds short-stopping that region in general.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:11 pm

My personal recommendation would be to open teal season as a standard duck season. I have mallards plopping down in the spread every year......
lbhansford
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:26 am

The meeting went well and thanks to all who attended. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
goosesmacker
hunter

Previous

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting