First RI Season

If sea duck hunting is your specialty, then share your thoughts on Rhode Island duck hunting with others.

Moderator: TheSwamper

First RI Season

Postby chrisbender » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:15 am

Hello all, I am Chris Bender and this will be my first duck/goose season in RI. We are active duty Navy and are stationed at Newport since last July. Between getting settled and getting everything else done I was unable to jump on last years duck/goose season. I am looking forward to this year very anxiously! My questions for this area are:

1. I am having trouble finding the regs on shooting from a boat in the bay. Which areas are huntable, which are not? Can you shoot out of coves/islands, etc? What experiences can you guys share? I figure the bay would be best for me since freshwater spots I anticipate will fill quickly and I don't want to tread into another hunters honey hole. I have a 16 foot flat bottom bay boat and am shooting a Mossberg 835 12ga.

2. I've seen plenty of birds from fishing the bay this summer, does it stay consistent in the bay during winter? I am not picky on what to get into this year. I definitly want to get puddles passing through the ay but also try sea ducks. I've never shot them and see them by the ase all the time. I guess this year I will be more of an equal opportunity shooter.

3. Where are the state lands to shoot geese and how quickly do they fill up? Do you guys have any pointers to the canadian hunting here? This last winter I saw them in the water by the base by the hundreds. Is it profitable to shoot them over water too?

I just registered for this site and am slowly reading through and listening to what you guys have. I plan on retiring here in about 3 years and will become a very routine member here. I look forward to seeing and talking with you guys!!

Chris
chrisbender
hunter

Re: First RI Season

Postby WhatIsDucky? » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:21 pm

Pm sent
WhatIsDucky?
hunter

Postby Feedemsteel » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:05 pm

I just moved to RI from CT . I am also an avid hunter and fishermen. Hunting ducks is one of my favorite things to do in during the long New England winters. I would like to be able to team up with some others that would like to hunt together! Even if all im shooting with is my camera , thats fine with me . I have plenty of decoys and 2 mojos . Im not a newbie to hunting ducks just a newbie to RI . Chris pm me if your interested in going to some public spots to try them out ? Thanks for any input you guys can give me / us

Thanks ! Mike
FEEDemSTEEL :beer:
Duck Hunting, Bow Hunting, Spearfishing= FEEDemSTEEL
Feedemsteel
hunter

Postby scbornandraised » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:05 pm

I too am a noob to the rhody ducks but I'm pretty seasoned in duck hunting. I listen well and can be a helpful and reliable hunting partner. PM sent
scbornandraised
hunter

Return to Rhode Island Duck Hunting