pop-up in the middle of a field for deer?

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

pop-up in the middle of a field for deer?

Postby Omaha Clucker » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:26 am

I deer hunt a property with a creek running through the middle and bean/corn fields on either side. I have trail cam pics and know the farm has deer on it. That creek and the timber surrounding it is 30-50 yds wide in the thickest points, but to me there are very few good stand trees or even places for a ground blind. I'm worried that my entry and exit, not to mention the ground blind itself, would have to be right on top of the deer's travel corridor. I shoot an open sight .30-30 so setting up across the fields in the fence line isn't an option, talking 300-500 yrds away. Has anyone had any luck just sticking a pop-up in the middle of a field? I seem to remember reading it somewhere, but I was thinking if I waited for the corn to be picked and threw up a blind 75-100 yrds out in the field that it would be far enough away deer could check it out and determine it wasn't a threat. I don't even know that I would have to brush it in as either way its just going to be a blob out in the middle of the field.
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Re: pop-up in the middle of a field for deer?

Postby MissedAgain » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:41 am

I have seen videos just like this - even the "crush" (the one with the little blond chick) do this in the middle of fields with the monster bucks feeding all around them. That's real, I swear it! :rolleyes:

You will want to have that blind out there the day they cut the corn. Anchor that puppy down good. Spray it down with some de-scenter stuff and stay away until opening day. My only true concern with the pop-up blinds are the black interior - what's a deer think about a big black spot where there was none before?

IF there is a possibility of the blind growing feet and walking off, you may want to use some stakes and burlap to make a blind - cheap & easy. More natural.

If you did your homework right, you won't need to use it more than once or twice.

Good luck.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Re: pop-up in the middle of a field for deer?

Postby Omaha Clucker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:24 pm

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll try it. You're right about leaving my pop-up in the open like that though and a few stakes and burlap will probably be lighter to carry anyway. Hopefully pics to follow about 3months from tomorrow!
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Return to Big Game