went flying up the Su valley yesterday

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

went flying up the Su valley yesterday

Postby AK Ray » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:45 am

I had to make a work trip on thursday to Skwentna for a site inspection. Due to the low clouds we flew at 800 feet most of the way over the Little Su and Big Su areas. Typically when we do this we seen lots of wildlife like moose and ducks on the ponds.

Didn't see any moose on the way out but did see three coming back. One was a bull with less than 30 inch horns.

Did see lots of swans (200+) in the Red Shirt Lake area on the east side of the Big Su.

Did not see any ducks anywhere on any of the ponds or flooded trundra. The area is still saturated and there is so much water that ducks could be anywhere they want rather than concentrated. However, we usually see ducks on the little ponds and there were none. While in Skwentna we did have two mallards fly over while walking up the road, but nothing was flying on the river.

The number of swans has me thinking. I have been told by guys in the Yukon that when the swans fly through their area it means that only the cold weather ducks like buffies are left to come and that all the puddle ducks are gone. I have also noticed that the park ducks in town are no where to be seen. Baxter Bog on the east side and Cheney Lake "always" have ducks in them until treeze up. Nothing in the last two weeks is flying in or out of these two areas. I am thinking that we have been abandonned by the birds early again.

Still going to make a trip out to the lakes this weekend unless my plans are changed for me.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:22 pm

I agree that we may have thought that the big migration may come at a later time and it never came but talking with a friend from work he's had a great year taking 70 plus birds so all in all it was a preductive year. Theres still some birds out there so boys mount up and take'm down. :salude:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby skybust » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:18 am

Ray what are you up to chris
skybust
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:34 am

LAredneck wrote:I agree that we may have thought that the big migration may come at a later time and it never came but talking with a friend from work he's had a great year taking 70 plus birds so all in all it was a preductive year. Theres still some birds out there so boys mount up and take'm down. :salude:

Agreed :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:10 pm

the answer is obvious, kill some geese :thumbsup:
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:11 pm

Chris, I am not up to much. I went out to Leaf on saturday and watched blue bills fly from Leaf over the Swan and then back all day. The boats kept getting them up off the lakes. They only flew over me once and chose a right to left crosser which is my most difficult shot to make. Then an alder got in the way of the swing through.

I could have taken a couple of golden eyes and a merg (YUK!) early in the morning but I passed. I already have one GE in the freezer.

Other than that the lakes were empty. There was the occassional mallard flying over at 500 feet and some really small ducks up high as well. I did meet a guy down from Fairbanks. He said that everything up there is freezing up and he had come down for the week hoping to meet up with northern birds on their way through.

You back to work yet? I still have some use or loose to get ride up by the end of November so I can take days off to hunt during the week.

How have the guys on rabbit slough done in the porta cabin?
AK Ray
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:23 am

my dad said there were tons of ducks on potter marsh yesterday as well as 40 trumperter swans... Maybe the ducks are almost here, all we have is resident greenheads right now and they are really smart
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:02 am

Well, of course potter marsh as well as westchester lagoon are full of birds. They ain't getting shot at and have plenty of food.

The swans, OMG, they were like sky rats over the lakes. There were several flocks of all juvies, and they sounded terrible. Some were whistling while others were trying to honk but it came out a wheeze. Too funny!

Now I remember that just after first light a flock of snow geese flew up the Knik to the pass going into PWS. I would guess they were on their way to the Copper River Delta. So if some snow geese are still around then the norther ducks are still out there some where.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby akbrett » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:00 pm

Ray, I saw several flocks of geese head through Potter Valley on to PWS this past Saturday. While I haven't seen large flocks of ducks I have had several small flocks of 10 to 15 mallards come into my decoys (finally!) and managed to take a couple. I also took a nice Greenwing and a Widgeon that were cruising the river (and missed many, many more singles of both). I've seen a few Buffle Heads and several flocks of Merge's down there also.

As for the Mallards, I found the secret in the Potter/Placer/Twentymile for me. As I was watching the Swans stir up the bottom and the ducks dart in and about I decided to take 2 of the cheap goose floaters that I have and paint them a flat white. Throw a couple mallard deeks next to them and then another 5 deeks with 3 on a jerk cord on the other side of the blind and man do those birds drop right in. NOW I understand how much fun hunting over deeks can be. :thumbsup:
akbrett
hunter

Postby skybust » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:38 pm

Ray yes Im back to work I get off Sunday morining at 0730 and dont have to be back to work until Wed night at 930. They took down the cabin this weekend Shannon had another run with that fat sob who stays at the green cabin the guy through a oar at his boat and almost hit shannons sun in the head. Called the trooper and assualt 4 charges are being file with the DA. Hunting was good for the last two week but now its slow I did talk to shannon this moring he was working out in the butte and was seeing flock after flock of geese and ducks. Ha ater the holidays lets get togather and finish the boat and get started on yours. How hard would it be to mack the back of my boat strong enough to handle a trolling motor. Give me a call 357-4506.
skybust
hunter

Postby OneLunG » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:40 pm

Pat - Most of the greenheads I've been seeing arnt residents - Just gotta know where to go. And we've been slaying them. Both me and my buddy Dave limited on this weekend twice on almost all mallards..
OneLunG
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:31 am

I went out friday and saw one group the whole time they were all on auke lake and rotory pond
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:06 am

Chris, building a motor mounting board into the stern will be easy. It will hold a trolling motor or a little gas engine fine. The battery is the only issue since it weighs so much.

How about next tuesday morning meeting at Mud lake? Take your boat to where ever. I found another spot on Leaf that can be hunted from the shore. The path in is much easier than that other spot. Don't know how your knee is doing.

If the birds are showing up now I need to take a few days off this week then before it ices up - thursday and friday morning. LA is supposed to be off this week. Hopefully he is out there slaying them.

Good for Shannon calling in the troopers on that dude. Assault 4 ain't much but getting processed through the system is bound to change the guys attitude.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:47 pm

AK Ray wrote: LA is supposed to be off this week. Hopefully he is out there slaying them.

Well I was going to be slaying them but my damn honey hole frozed over, man was i mad when i finally made it out to the hole which was quite a hike and the birds where coming in just like we thought they would be circled and kept on going. O well guess that AK, i'll be going back thursday and break up the ice and use a jerk sting and other motion techniques to bring'm in, wish me luck.

Oh by the way I'm up to 12 birds so far, have only had one chance to really get on them. :salude:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AK Ray » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:05 pm

There sure are a lot of geese in town these last few days. I wonder if they are passing through Stouff's "backyard" in the day some time.

It looks like friday will be my only day this week due to the kid being stuck in bed and out of school. What timing she has!

if it keeps up being this cold even the lakes will be iced up by next week.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:28 pm

car died, bring on the geese! Does anyone on this board actually kill geese?
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby skybust » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:07 am

Ray I can't make Tuesday just found out I have court sorry let me know how you if you go chris
skybust
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting