Daddy, What Was a Truck Driver?

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Daddy, What Was a Truck Driver?

Postby tucker301 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:54 am

With no truck drivers on the roads, who will carry STDs across this once great nation? NBA?
tucker301
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:23 am

Elvis Kiwi wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
Elvis Kiwi wrote:the pity its not a huge pay!!!! :yes: :yes:

Do you have owner/operators there and is that more lucrative? By the way, do you trout fish? I've seen some amazing shows on NZ trout fishing!

owner/operator is a double edged sword...when things get tight they are the first to get no work..that goes to company owners guys.
as for trout....

Nice fish :thumbsup:

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby ohioboy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:47 am

tucker301 wrote:With no truck drivers on the roads, who will carry STDs across this once great nation? NBA?

So no lot lizards? NBA.....guess you could call those ladies ball hogs.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:12 pm

Elvis Kiwi wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

Do you have owner/operators there and is that more lucrative? By the way, do you trout fish? I've seen some amazing shows on NZ trout fishing!

owner/operator is a double edged sword...when things get tight they are the first to get no work..that goes to company owners guys.
as for trout....

There ya go! :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:23 am

What's that? Posting on a bulletin board.

This is sort of a pet peeve of mine. Once, you cross over to wishing reality were different, why not go all the way? Hey, it's a pity hunting ducks does not pay huge :yes:

Complaining about the economic law of supply and demand is not that different than me complaining about the law of gravity when I weighed myself this morning :sad:

Elvis Kiwi wrote:owner/operator is a double edged sword...when things get tight they are the first to get no work..that goes to company owners guys.
Another economic fact. You want to make more, you have to take more risk. All too often, these small business owners, and that is what an owner/operator is, don't manage that risk well. When times are good, they don't plan for when times are bad. This is a big difference between the little guy that eventually because the big guy and the little guy that ends up being employed by one one of the big guy so he can pay all his debts from his failed business.

The wage slaves are free to leave. They just chose not to take on the risk and responsibility of owning and business and there is nothing wrong with that. Most people have no desire to do that. I know I do not. I'll take my salaried job and then invest in a diversified portfolio of businesses run by other people. Sure less risk and less reward, but I get plenty of reward and have very little risk :thumbsup:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:57 am

The teamsters union won't let it happen. It would probably be great for the on road mechanics and tire guys. :wink: I think we'll see automated freight trains long before automated trucks. Trains don't have to share their "road" with traffic or the constantly changing conditions that come with it.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:01 am

clampdaddy wrote:The teamsters union won't let it happen. It would probably be great for the on road mechanics and tire guys. :wink: I think we'll see automated freight trains long before automated trucks. Trains don't have to share their "road" with traffic or the constantly changing conditions that come with it.

No, but they do cross a lot of them, thus they still interact with the public at crossings....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:09 am

Indaswamp wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:The teamsters union won't let it happen. It would probably be great for the on road mechanics and tire guys. :wink: I think we'll see automated freight trains long before automated trucks. Trains don't have to share their "road" with traffic or the constantly changing conditions that come with it.

No, but they do cross a lot of them, thus they still interact with the public at crossings....

Over passes are safer and more reliable than electronic traffic guidance systems. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:12 am

clampdaddy wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Over passes are safer and more reliable than electronic traffic guidance systems. :lol3:

not every RR crossing is an over pass. that would be a lot of infrastructure updating.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:19 am

Indaswamp wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

not every RR crossing is an over pass. that would be a lot of infrastructure updating.

Oh I know, but it is still a proven system and is still a more viable option than automated trucks.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:23 am

would be an expensive undertaking here on south louisiana soil....hell, the roads shift and sink regularly and have to be redone at an alarming rate.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:28 am

Indaswamp wrote:would be an expensive undertaking here on south louisiana soil....hell, the roads shift and sink regularly and have to be redone at an alarming rate.

I just see it like this......an automated truck has to deal with traffic 100% of the time. A train only deals with traffic at crossings, so maybe 1%?
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:30 am

they are already bringing automated cars online in germany......did you see the link I posted?

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:36 am

Indaswamp wrote:would be an expensive undertaking here on south louisiana soil....hell, the roads shift and sink regularly and have to be redone at an alarming rate.

Bet they last longer there though...no freezing and no salt and less temp variation.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:42 am

beretta24 wrote:

Bet they last longer there though...no freezing and no salt and less temp variation.

yea, if you don't care about a flat road!! :lol3: no bedrock here...constantly settling soil.....actually, it's the settling that makes 'em crack and go to schit.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:29 pm

SpinnerMan wrote: Another economic fact. You want to make more, you have to take more risk. All too often, these small business owners, and that is what an owner/operator is, don't manage that risk well. When times are good, they don't plan for when times are bad. This is a big difference between the little guy that eventually because the big guy and the little guy that ends up being employed by one one of the big guy so he can pay all his debts from his failed business.

Now THAT is one of my pet peeves. People that live either personally or professionally WAY outside their income and then complain about all the factors that prevent them from being more successful. When times were really booming I was involved in the construction of various businesses. The money they invest in a start-up is CRAZY, with $30K light fixtures and $700 Aeron chairs for every cubicle.
SpinnerMan wrote: The wage slaves are free to leave. They just chose not to take on the risk and responsibility of owning and business and there is nothing wrong with that. Most people have no desire to do that. I know I do not. I'll take my salaried job and then invest in a diversified portfolio of businesses run by other people. Sure less risk and less reward, but I get plenty of reward and have very little risk :thumbsup:

That's what I learned after a short stint of running a very small business. Too much time invested for the return, at least at MY ambition level! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:39 pm

assateague wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
Elvis Kiwi wrote:not sure where you are aiming with that "pinacle" remark???
and most truck drivers over here are wage slaves on a hourly pay rate so miles driven doesnt come into it.

I would think that would be a huge plus, Elvis. It takes the responsibility for your pay in your time invested rather a million other variables out of your control.
If I may speak for AT (I'm bored), he just means that many don't assume that we will continue to advance technologically. That we have reached the apex of civilization and there is nothing left to discover or reveal. In his, and my, opinion, nothing could be further from the truth. The advance of technology is exponentially exploding, with "more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

That's from a 16th century Stones song, AT! :lol3:

Thanks GJ. That's exactly what I mean.

Ironically enough, I think it's no surprise that I am "conservative" to a fault when it comes to societal/governance issues. But anything else is fair game. No such thing as "we don't need to try that", or "it'll never happen". Even worse- "It can't work".

It seems to me that, of all the people, engineers are the most prone to that mindset! Go figure. I guess very specific training in an area makes it hard to see outside the box sometimes. When I was a hands-on electrician, occasionally a new apprentice would come up with something that I had just never thought of! It seems as though the flexibility AND the desire to consider options wanes after you reach that point of "I know how best to do it....I've done it a hundred times." I must admit it did for me. Instead of a challenge the work became a routine. Good (usually) for productivity, but bad for morale and innovation.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:45 pm

Indaswamp wrote:they are already bringing automated cars online in germany......did you see the link I posted?

They really are integrating a lot of the features into many new models of cars. Automatic braking when deceleration is called for, steering control that makes it difficult to turn into another vehicle, automatic parking, GPS integration, rearward obstruction detection, plus a lot more. Sheesh, I remember when cruise control was "iffy."
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote: Another economic fact. You want to make more, you have to take more risk. All too often, these small business owners, and that is what an owner/operator is, don't manage that risk well. When times are good, they don't plan for when times are bad. This is a big difference between the little guy that eventually because the big guy and the little guy that ends up being employed by one one of the big guy so he can pay all his debts from his failed business.

Now THAT is one of my pet peeves. People that live either personally or professionally WAY outside their income and then complain about all the factors that prevent them from being more successful. When times were really booming I was involved in the construction of various businesses. The money they invest in a start-up is CRAZY, with $30K light fixtures and $700 Aeron chairs for every cubicle.
SpinnerMan wrote: The wage slaves are free to leave. They just chose not to take on the risk and responsibility of owning and business and there is nothing wrong with that. Most people have no desire to do that. I know I do not. I'll take my salaried job and then invest in a diversified portfolio of businesses run by other people. Sure less risk and less reward, but I get plenty of reward and have very little risk :thumbsup:

That's what I learned after a short stint of running a very small business. Too much time invested for the return, at least at MY ambition level! :lol3:

but the flip of that is also true, once the business is built and up and running, the investment of time vs. the pay off can be huge.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:45 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

but the flip of that is also true, once the business is built and up and running, the investment of time vs. the pay off can be huge.

Absolutely true, Inda. Just never had the ambition to dedicate myself to it as much as needed. I always protested being made a foreman! Just give me my tools and a blueprint and I'll be a happy camper. For a while anyway! :lol3: Plus, the little business a friend and I put together, he was more business oriented and I was more field oriented, so it was a bit of the same old thing for me, except with more risk and more pressure. I also put too much on myself, in hindsight. Any little thing that went wrong was my fault and I should have anticipated it. Can't always do that or it gets pretty demoralizing.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:47 pm

it's a mindset glimmer...you either see problems, or opportunities... :wink:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:52 pm

Indaswamp wrote:it's a mindset glimmer...you either see problems, or opportunities... :wink:

Yep! Pretty good summation, Inda! :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:55 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

No doubt, but there is a big risk, meaning often there is big losses as opposed to a big pay off. Far too many people think a business is easy money. If it was, everybody would be doing it :yes:

Indaswamp wrote:it's a mindset glimmer...you either see problems, or opportunities... :wink:
It's more than just a mindset. It requires a wide range of skills that most people don't have. It's also a value judgment. I personally just have no desire.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:32 pm

wont it all be under water in ____ years anyway? never understood building (and then rebuilding) in a place that sinks or is below sea level.

what about just pushing the main port up river? am i naive?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:54 pm

ohioboy wrote:

wont it all be under water in ____ years anyway? never understood building (and then rebuilding) in a place that sinks or is below sea level.

what about just pushing the main port up river? am i naive?

yes.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum