Daddy, What Was a Truck Driver?

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Daddy, What Was a Truck Driver?

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:04 pm

Indaswamp wrote:they are already bringing automated cars online in germany......did you see the link I posted?

From what I got out of it, they aren't bringing automated cars online in Germany. Google has a test car fitted with automated driving technology and a German company made a deal to get involved with development.

When it was still making Toyotas and Pontiacs, I was invited to take a tour of the Fremont NUUMI plant. They had automated forklifts buzzing around all over the place. It was pretty neat to see but that was a closed off environment. I could see the possibilities of it working in automobiles someday waaaayyyy down the line but before we can jump to unmanned big rigs I think it would need to figure out a car that can parallel park itself.......it was tried and sold but cars got wrecked. Most of the automative driveing systems I've seen mentioned from time to time are basically a smart cruise control for highway driving. Put that in a rig that has to go over an icy winter mountain pass, or a narrow streeted industrial park where you have to flip a u-turn in the middle of a tiny intersection and you have to run over a curb to complete it. The computer will always need human assistance.

A train on the other hand has one mission in life. Go straight ahead and hope nothing darts out in front of it because regardless of who's driving, it can't stop soon enough to avoid the crash anyway.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:39 pm

clampdaddy wrote:Most of the automative driveing systems I've seen mentioned from time to time are basically a smart cruise control for highway driving. Put that in a rig that has to go over an icy winter mountain pass, or a narrow streeted industrial park where you have to flip a u-turn in the middle of a tiny intersection and you have to run over a curb to complete it. The computer will always need human assistance.
So just limit it to the long straight interstates. Have drivers take it to there and then off it goes. The driver need not be in the vehicle, but could be back at the command center and driving it remotely where needed and autopilot when not. For icy roads, off roads, etc. just do it the old fashion way. People still use horses under certain circumstances as their means of transportation and will likely never replace them.

I don't know where the technology is at, but it need not displace 100% of the drivers from the get go. Even if it could do that for 10%, that could be big savings.

What it could also do is allow drivers to drive far more hours in a day. Instead of having to sleep while the truck is parked, they could sleep while it is on autopilot and take over when it is needed.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:55 pm

SpinnerMan wrote: ....What it could also do is allow drivers to drive far more hours in a day. Instead of having to sleep while the truck is parked, they could sleep while it is on autopilot and take over when it is needed.

That is a very viable and realistic use of technology that would benefit both the driver and his employer.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:21 am

problem I see with that idea is whats in it for the man??? hes still at work,not at home with wife n kiddies, when the wheels stop turning and you arent doing a work related activity or earning money THEN you are in "rest time"
thats the whole fatigue arguement all over again just with a different color paint scheme.
after 14 hours no matter what you are driving you are mind f#%&ed.... reflexes are gone and concentration at a minimum. the human body needs that 10 hour break.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:49 am

clampdaddy wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote: ....What it could also do is allow drivers to drive far more hours in a day. Instead of having to sleep while the truck is parked, they could sleep while it is on autopilot and take over when it is needed.

That is a very viable and realistic use of technology that would benefit both the driver and his employer.

Compensation would be a beast to work out though cd. He would basically be "on call" at all times he is on duty, with absolutely nothing productive to do. While his actual hands-on performance of his skill sets could amount to 30 minutes in a 36 hour expenditure of his time. A lot of variables to be discussed there, with plenty of viable input from both sides.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:54 am

Glimmerjim wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

Compensation would be a beast to work out though cd. He would basically be "on call" at all times he is on duty, with absolutely nothing productive to do. While his actual hands-on performance of his skill sets could amount to 30 minutes in a 36 hour expenditure of his time. A lot of variables to be discussed there, with plenty of viable input from both sides.

...sounds like the perfect union job! :wink: :hammer:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:08 am

Indaswamp wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

...sounds like the perfect union job! :wink: :hammer:

I am SHOCKED! :lol3: :lol3: :beer:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:30 am

Glimmerjim wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

The free market works far more complicated things out with ease all the time. Just let the two parties with the most knowledge of what the driver's time is worth and what the value to the company is negotiate that. Who knows more than the driver what his time is worth? Who knows more what the value to the company is than the company? Oh yeah, some politicians in Washington getting donations from one side or the other Image

I don't see it ever happening in any form. Labor saving technology improvements are always opposed in heavily unionized industries. I believe the longshoremen even opposed bar codes a number of years back. This is one that the fear would be so easy to stoke. People fear trucks as it is. Driverless trucks would be feared even more than nuclear power.

A driverless truck hauling nuclear waste Image Image Image Image
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:37 am

Indaswamp wrote:
ohioboy wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:would be an expensive undertaking here on south louisiana soil....hell, the roads shift and sink regularly and have to be redone at an alarming rate.

wont it all be under water in ____ years anyway? never understood building (and then rebuilding) in a place that sinks or is below sea level.

what about just pushing the main port up river? am i naive?

yes.

Well educate me Mr. Swamp. Why can't we move the port upriver to a more stable location? Mississippi is pretty deep, right?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:41 am

ohioboy wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
ohioboy wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:would be an expensive undertaking here on south louisiana soil....hell, the roads shift and sink regularly and have to be redone at an alarming rate.

wont it all be under water in ____ years anyway? never understood building (and then rebuilding) in a place that sinks or is below sea level.

yes.

Well educate me Mr. Swamp. Why can't we move the port upriver to a more stable location? Mississippi is pretty deep, right?

Politics. The 1- 90 bridge in Baton Rouge was intentionally built low by Gov. Huey P. Long to force all large river traffic to stop an off load at the port of Baton Rouge.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ohioboy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
ohioboy wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
ohioboy wrote:

yes.

Politics. The 1- 90 bridge in Baton Rouge was intentionally built low by Gov. Huey P. Long to force all large river traffic to stop an off load at the port of Baton Rouge.

I see. It would be expensive to rebuild the bridge, but seems like it would still be more productive over time. That is a pretty high bridge, but I know those ships are way bigger than they seem.

Huey was quite a guy wasn't he.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:09 pm

Good luck getting the state to tear down the bridge to rebuild it. Tugs and barges are about all that will fit under the bridge....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:28 pm

ohioboy wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
ohioboy wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
ohioboy wrote:

yes.

I see. It would be expensive to rebuild the bridge, but seems like it would still be more productive over time. That is a pretty high bridge, but I know those ships are way bigger than they seem.

Now you also have a hell of a lot of people and businesses that won't let it happen. No rep in that district will every support it.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:37 pm

beretta24 wrote:
ohioboy wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
ohioboy wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
ohioboy wrote:

yes.

Now you also have a hell of a lot of people and businesses that won't let it happen. No rep in that district will every support it.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

eggzackly!!!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:39 pm

that bridge is old. It should be torn down and an updated one put in it's place. They keep repairing it. And dollars to doughnuts, when they finally need a new bridge, the old one will be left standing to block river shipping traffic.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:12 am

"Well son, the "truck driver" was a sort of man we haven't seen around these parts in a long time. Come summertime, you'd gather a whole bunch of real men that knew what work was and their job was to take a huge herd of trucks up the Northern range where the gas was cheap as water and the air was clean as a Chinese city. They'd get 'em up there through Union Pickets, traffic jams, drug dealers and car-jackers. Come winter, they'd have to gather all the trucks, and the new little Hyundais they'd had up there, and start it all over again. Staying one step ahead of the weather and the risin' rivers. Slept in cheap motels, ate at fast-food joints, and occasionally found comfort in the arms of a woman of the street, if you know what I mean. Yes sir, son, they was men who knewed what men were. Not likely to ever see that type around here anymore. By the way, son, I've got to go find me a Mexican to shovel the sidewalk, and there's ice on the windshield. Hand me them there keys so I can start it from in here and it'll be warm when I'm ready to drive, would ya? Thank ya son, and always remember, idle hands are the Devil's workshop'!"
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:03 am

:scooter: :lol: :lol:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby High Sierras » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:39 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Good luck getting the state to tear down the bridge to rebuild it. Tugs and barges are about all that will fit under the bridge....

Inda, do you know if it is on the national register of historic bridges? If so, they might build a new one next to it for traffic on your tax dime and "preserve" the old one as a monument to the bridge builders who built it in the first place using your tax dollars to restore and preserve it as well.... thus preserving the shipping jam it was intended to be forever on your dime.

Too bad they didn't build one like the one at the mouth of the Columbia River at Astoria, Or:

High Sierras
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:45 pm

High Sierras wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Good luck getting the state to tear down the bridge to rebuild it. Tugs and barges are about all that will fit under the bridge....

Inda, do you know if it is on the national register of historic bridges? If so, they might build a new one next to it for traffic on your tax dime and "preserve" the old one as a monument to the bridge builders who built it in the first place using your tax dollars to restore and preserve it as well.... thus preserving the shipping jam it was intended to be forever on your dime.

Too bad they didn't build one like the one at the mouth of the Columbia River at Astoria, Or:

Not that it means anything but I once lived in a house with a view of that bridge over the Columbia. Beautiful area. Wonderful people. Not much work. Especially after the fishing got regulated and the mills went belly up. That's where "Goonies" was filmed.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Previous

Return to Controversial Issues Forum