Rig efficiency

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Rig efficiency

Postby gitzit » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm

I hunt a lake for puddlers where the decoys sit in a minimum of 8 ft. of water. Wrapping 10 to 12 feet of decoy cord and anchor on a keel is time consuming and a real pain.

I understand using main line rigs for divers where the water is way deep, but would there be any time savings/added ease by running a rig on this lake instead of separate cords and anchors? I don't want to just swap one chore for another.

Thoughts?
gitzit
hunter

Re: Rig efficiency

Postby Ringneck » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:48 pm

I run longlines in water as shallow as 4 ft for divers. You can use them in any depth of water.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby gitzit » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:43 am

Ringneck: I get that. My question is one of comparison. Is a dozen dekes on a mainline in 8 ft. of water any more or less convenient and efficient than a dozen dekes with individuals cords and weights.
gitzit
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:03 am

gitzit wrote:Ringneck: I get that. My question is one of comparison. Is a dozen dekes on a mainline in 8 ft. of water any more or less convenient and efficient than a dozen dekes with individuals cords and weights.

If you get big enough clips on your long line to where you won't be fumbling around with them with cold hands in the dark, I think it would be a lot easier for you than individual wrapping of each decoy's line.
Just my .02 though.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:55 pm

gitzit wrote:Ringneck: I get that. My question is one of comparison. Is a dozen dekes on a mainline in 8 ft. of water any more or less convenient and efficient than a dozen dekes with individuals cords and weights.

It will be more convenient...that's why I do it for divers. You'll still need to run some single birds though to break up the straight line look of your puddlers on a longline. Divers don't care but I'm not sure about puddlers.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Way faster to put out and pick up longlines!

Use shorter mainlines and break up the pattern of the birds. Instead of using a decoy every 3 to 6 feet, put two together and then use the next longline to offset one with that group. Put out groups that way using 5" or 6" long line clips. If you hunt one general area or specific spots you will figure out how to set the decoys and can simply store them in totes. This means you can clip a weight on one end of the line and drop it overboard. Feed out the decoys and line until you reach the end anchor that was stored in the bottom of the tote and toss it over. I can put out 100 decoys in 10 minutes using longlines and totes with the decoys clipped on the mainlines ahead of time. I can pick them up in 20 minutes. The process is dramatically faster and far easier.

If you hunt freezing water areas make sure to have a few holes in the tote to allow the water to drain. If you do some reading on the diver forum on using longlines you will get a good idea of what I am talking about. Done properly you can put out a spread of puddlers that looks like singles on longlines. I usually have a dozen singles that I can put out to break up the spread if I need them.

Another trick in a lake is to run two longlines to set a defined boundary aimed down wind that leads to a gang net or grouping of short longlines at the head of the V made by the two longlines. I hunt the exact environment you are talking about and the longlines work awesome.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum