Question about building decoy spread

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Question about building decoy spread

Postby Throw Back » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:42 pm

I notice everyone seems to have a variety of different decoys; full bodies, shells, silhouettes, etc. Even people who say shells aren't "real" enough seem to have them. So if silouettes are cheaper and work as some people say "just as good" and that they simulate movement, why use anything else. or if they don't, why not just save the money and get full bodies.

I want to buy some decoys for hunting and it just seems so hard what to choose. I wont be buyin for a little while as I am 100% broke. But what would you recommend for someone with only a up to three hundered dollars? A good pack of realistic full bodies like BF's? Two and a half dozen silo's for numbers? Shellss to split the difference? How do you decide what youre getting next?
Throw Back
hunter

Re: Question about building decoy spread

Postby Woodie26 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:24 am

What me and my guys run are about 5-10 dozen home made silos for numbers and movement. Then we put out some full bodies near the kill hole. This has worked for us every time!
Making the silos is cheap if not free. All you need to do is get some plywood and paint them black and white. If you are looking for cheap and numbers use your money all on silo socks. This will give you the numbers, movement, and a full body effect. If you are going to get full bodies the big foots are good. They are big a noticeable and tuff. But you'll have to build your spread a lot slower because of price.
Woodie26
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:54 pm

Throw Back wrote:I notice everyone seems to have a variety of different decoys; full bodies, shells, silhouettes, etc. Even people who say shells aren't "real" enough seem to have them. So if silouettes are cheaper and work as some people say "just as good" and that they simulate movement, why use anything else. or if they don't, why not just save the money and get full bodies.

I want to buy some decoys for hunting and it just seems so hard what to choose. I wont be buyin for a little while as I am 100% broke. But what would you recommend for someone with only a up to three hundered dollars? A good pack of realistic full bodies like BF's? Two and a half dozen silo's for numbers? Shellss to split the difference? How do you decide what youre getting next?

You thread title answers your question before you asked.
Silos made from luan and builders stakes. Borrow a jigsaw and a cordless drill. Buy luan, builders stakes, sheet metal screws, and spray paint. For $300 you could make many dozens.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:00 pm

Patterns.
One head tore but you get the idea. Kinkos helped blow the drawings up to correct size.
Attachments
1375822694086.jpg
1375822593610.jpg
aunt betty
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:10 pm

I have to agree with your thoughts.... I too used full bodies, shells for a little movenemnt,even a few lessers to mix em up a BIT. all til I started running silos! Found out the 2 d decoys will work! Now, after a year of testing an "all silo spread". it's all I'm using this year, depending on weather, fields and birds.. I have 7 doz and not afraid to use any/all of em!! Love em and so much easier to transport & set up! :bow:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:41 pm

cut_un wrote:I have to agree with your thoughts.... I too used full bodies, shells for a little movenemnt,even a few lessers to mix em up a BIT. all til I started running silos! Found out the 2 d decoys will work! Now, after a year of testing an "all silo spread". it's all I'm using this year, depending on weather, fields and birds.. I have 7 doz and not afraid to use any/all of em!! Love em and so much easier to transport & set up! :bow:

I have two dozen shells and TWO fbd's. You dont need $5k in fbd's and a $2k trailer pulled by a $35k 4x4 to kill geese in fields. I used a deer cart to haul my entire spread.
aunt betty
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Me neither, can haul all my decoys & layout in the back of my truck bed ,also can drag the decoys,blind bag and layout in and out of the X using my gear sled with very little effort :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Throw Back » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:49 am

Well, I imagine I will be on mostly public land, so I think I will take the risk of using just silos. Maybe even all homemade
Throw Back
hunter

Postby Illini40 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:32 pm

I don't mean to thread jack, but I'm very intrigued by all of the comments on silos.

Any more insight in running silos with a few full bodies mixed in? I have some shells, a half dozen full bodies and I'm really considering greeting a couple dozen silos for this year.
Illini40
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:16 am

Illini40 wrote:I don't mean to thread jack, but I'm very intrigued by all of the comments on silos.

Any more insight in running silos with a few full bodies mixed in? I have some shells, a half dozen full bodies and I'm really considering greeting a couple dozen silos for this year.

Give it a try. You won't be out a ton of money and you'll be adding numbers to your spread. Win/win.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby bobalong » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:47 am

I have been using silos almost exclusively for the past few years. I have sold some that I used and this year will be using 4 dozen Big Al's and a dozen RGII and 4 dozen Big Flock Snow Geese. I have some shells for movement, and will take them along but I think I only used them on one setup last year, so I am not sure if I will even use them.

I started using them a few years to save on room and for early season hunts where I have to carry everything in. I had just as good results using the silos and kept adding them and using more and more of them every year, results have always been good. IMO a lot more hunters have been switching to silos because the quality of the silos has increased significantly and more and more hunters are finding they work just as well as any other dekes, in some areas. The area I hunt does not get a lot of pressure and they work great there, I have noticed a few guys say they don't work as well in high pressure areas, but I have never really hunted an area like that so I can not really comment if they work as good in those areas.

These are the three styles of silos I use. From left to right are Big Flock, RGII, Big Al's

Field pics of the silos
bobalong
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum