Diver newbie/Gang line neccessary?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Diver newbie/Gang line neccessary?

Postby mikeg1005 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:48 pm

I'm going to try some more diver duck hunting this year, open water (shallow) or off shore. We hunt in the cattails shoots off a large lake. Got a lead on 80+ old decoys on craigslist that I'm going to paint over to diver colors.

My question is does one need to line the decoys up in perfect lines like you see with ganglines... or is going every 5-6 ft and dropping and decoy/anchor ok? I'm not sure important the straight line is to the effectiveness of a spread... any time I saw divers sitting on open water they always sat in large rafts, no real define lines.

Also, any other tips, please chime in.

Thanks,

Mike.
mikeg1005
hunter

Re: Diver newbie/Gang line neccessary?

Postby Paul26 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:14 pm

I use LL's in deep and shallow water because I am lazy. Putting 12 decoys in the water out of a slotted decoy bag is to me infinitely easier than 12 loose ones in a decoy bag. Ditto with retrieval.

Is it necessary? Absolutely not
Paul26
hunter

Postby jeepman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:21 am

I agree with Paul26, the lines are not necessary. Long lines do make pickup and retrieval much easier, particularly in water you can't wade in. I primarily use lines, but I do have a dozen rigged with individual drops similar to what you are going to do. They work well in shallow water, but in 4 or 5 feet just like any other decoy on bigger water, the waves and chop tend to cause the decoys to drift a bit. As for the regimented look of a diver spread it is not necessary or realistic looking. it is done because those decoys you have seen like that are on lines and it is the easiest and quickest way to build a spread of a large number of decoys and the ducks don't seem to mind. Some people do put their lines out in a J or zig zag pattern but it takes longer, and uses more anchors.
jeepman
hunter

Postby Woodie26 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:10 pm

True way I run my dekes is pretty much one small line (6-10 ringers and buffys)going down wind for the ducks to come up. Then I'll place a raft of dekes ( 12 - 16 cans ringers blue bills) off up wind of my kill zone and make the raft look like a fat moon curved shape. The whole deke set up basically would make a weird V or L shape. Best way to show you on here is this: (( _ ~_~_~_
I have also noticed most of the time using an odd number of dekes for divers helps. But that could just be my own superstition.
Woodie26
hunter

Postby Woodie26 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:12 pm

Yeah that's it. It is ridiculous but every one has their little quirks...
Woodie26
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:19 pm

You mean ducks can't count? :huh:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Shade » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:20 am

DKC..... Last time I saw you, there was a debate going with some agency about whether or not that Custom Layout Boat was going to be considered a "sink box" or not....

Is it safe to assume that it was classified as a boat? It would be a shame if you couldn't use it.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:53 pm

DKC wrote:
Dingbatter 2 wrote:You mean ducks can't count? :huh:

No. Their eyes are on the side of their heads and can only see out of one eye at a time when focusing on something.

It would be the same as you driving along side of a train and trying to count the train cars wearing half of a blind fold and not having the capability to reason because your brain isn't made that way. I'm not calling you dumb, I'm saying there is a reason why ducks eat turds and live in mud.

Complete twaddle speak I say. All birds have a narrow cone of binocular visions in front of their beaks. Ducks can't count due to low intelligence. They can tell the difference between a small flock and a medium or large one just fine. If ducks did not have binocular vision at all they would constantly run into things. They would also crash land in spectacular fashion every time. A simple Google search on duck or bird vision resolves the issue.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby AutoFive » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:44 am

DKC wrote:You can't do it on "bird vision", you will get results about raptors. Raptors have superfluous eye sight.

Yeah but raptors don't disguise themselves like ducks do:

AutoFive
Newb

Postby pluckinduck » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:01 pm

Now Im going to see a dog face for the rest of my life :lol:
pluckinduck
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:19 pm

Dingbatter 2 wrote:You mean ducks can't count? :huh:

Ok. From being on here for several years I thought that all ducks could not only count, but do calculus, read boat numbers, identify specific guns and loeads, various shades of camo, even what brand of call being used. Uh, I guess I was wrong. :hammer: :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby mikeg1005 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:28 pm

Alright.. a year later, a year wiser... I was quite surprised how well my mallards in diver disguise worked.

I'm going to try ganglines... googled around about making your own but for the money vs. disaster factor I'm looking at Doctari mainlines and their 5" clips... since my decoys already have rigging I'll just tie the clips onto the existing drops I have (shorten them up).

Her is the big question I can't seem to find a definitive answer on... are drops necessary for anything other than clearance of the mainline? I don't hunt with a dog. Do they help with motion/stability of the whole line?

I would REALLY, REALLY like to be able to take the lines, drag them in and stick them into my 12 slot bags on the boat without having to attach/detach decoys every single time... it would make setup/clean up take literally minutes I envision.
mikeg1005
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:32 am

mikeg1005 wrote:Alright.. a year later, a year wiser... I was quite surprised how well my mallards in diver disguise worked.

I'm going to try ganglines... googled around about making your own but for the money vs. disaster factor I'm looking at Doctari mainlines and their 5" clips... since my decoys already have rigging I'll just tie the clips onto the existing drops I have (shorten them up).

Her is the big question I can't seem to find a definitive answer on... are drops necessary for anything other than clearance of the mainline? I don't hunt with a dog. Do they help with motion/stability of the whole line?

I would REALLY, REALLY like to be able to take the lines, drag them in and stick them into my 12 slot bags on the boat without having to attach/detach decoys every single time... it would make setup/clean up take literally minutes I envision.

The drops also provide clearance for your motor so you can retrieve dead ducks out of your spread.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby mikeg1005 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:06 am

Wish I had just done that from the start.. looks very easy.

With regards to main line length...I was thinking about the 90' ones (from Doctari) but the 140' ones might sound like a better option. I'd imagine even in 3,4,5ft of water by the time you stretch them out you will lose probably 2-3x the depth in length on each end to get the anchor to set/have in such position that wind/waves will not affect the line.

Any thoughts on the two different lines he sells? The 1/4" and the #120. Is a thicker main line still a better option even if you unhook decoys every time?
mikeg1005
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:13 am

I should say that I am no expert in this and am just as new to diver hunting as you, but from my research and talking to other more experienced hunters... you will need to have various length main lines depending on the water depth you plan to hunt. From what little experience I have I believe 90' is the right length for the 5 FOW range. 140' will get pretty precarious I would think.

As far as #120 and 1/4... I have both, but have not used them enough to give you a solid opinion which is better. I have the #120 only because that is the only line he offered in 60'.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:23 pm

Do you guys ever only anchor one side (the up wind side by the blind?) Seems like if you did that, the line would always point with the wind.
MNGunner
hunter

Postby KRB » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:32 pm

I got doctari 25 anchor line extensions gives you flexability with length and depth.
KRB
hunter

Postby mikeg1005 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:43 pm

MNGunner wrote:Do you guys ever only anchor one side (the up wind side by the blind?) Seems like if you did that, the line would always point with the wind.

Haven't used gang lines before but I would imagine this could be recipe of disaster since wind doesn't always blue uniformly and you could have the lines run into each other. I'd think if you left a slack in the line catch the up wind anchor and just place the down wind one with slack in the line it would allow for some lateral movement with the wind.
mikeg1005
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:46 am

MNGunner wrote:Do you guys ever only anchor one side (the up wind side by the blind?) Seems like if you did that, the line would always point with the wind.

I did once. Worked great until the wind started swirling and switching then I had one big tangled mess. Our best result using anchors on one end only was when we hunted rivers with a steady 1 direction current flow. I would not even try it in a lake again.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby blackrock » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:30 am

Long lines are used to put out a lot of decoys in open water fast, not to put decoys in a straight line. We used them last year for diver decoys, worked great. I bought 90' and 60' lines, drops and clips from Doctari. Overall good set up, but I think thicker main line would be easier, less tangles. I would also like to find bigger clips, they are hard to open with frozen fingers. You definitely want to anchor both ends or you will be hatin it when the wind switches! We unclip the drops/decoys and put them in slotted bags, main line on spools. The drops help hide the main line, give movement and prevent dog tangles (if you use a dog). I have a jet and I still would never drive over my main lines, I go between them. Leave a boat/landing lane parallel to the layout boat on the left side (for right handed shooter).
blackrock
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting