Daily bag limit of 6 Honks

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

Daily bag limit of 6 Honks

Postby flynfold » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:10 pm

Was not sure if I was reading the KDWP website correctly. WoW double the limit on Honks! :smile:
flynfold
hunter

Re: Daily bag limit of 6 Honks

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:03 pm

Yes its true, our mighty state commission decided to get modern and let us here in the state enjoy limits that other states to the north and south have had for the last few years
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby fowlhunter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:29 am

I'm super excited about the limits. The only thing that worries me is that there will be that many more "tourists" out there now! Out side of that I'm ready to make it rain birds.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:01 am

Fowlhunter, I wouldn't worry about the tourists, once its 20 degrees, most of those people will be inside where its warm, not laying in a wheat, milo or corn field trying to shoot a honk
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby fowlhunter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:12 am

cluckmeister wrote:Fowlhunter, I wouldn't worry about the tourists, once its 20 degrees, most of those people will be inside where its warm, not laying in a wheat, milo or corn field trying to shoot a honk

Truer words have never been spoke!!! Which is why I want duck season pushed back.
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:56 am

Fowl Hunter, since I love to hunt Marshes for ducks plus eat those early season green wings Im going to disagree on putting the season back. Ive hunted ducks and geese for over 40 years and can remember the time when getting a honker was a bonus bird, Ive learned that in most years the marshes freeze before the ponds due to lack of movement of the water and they freeze early, that the mallards don't really congregate on the big water until the ponds freeze. I've also learned the time to introduce youngsters to waterfowl hunting is during the warmer weather , the last week of October and first 3 weeks of November. Those young folks are our waterfowl hunting future If you push the season back there are opportunities lost and killing Mallards isn't the prime ingredient to water fowling. As my signature states If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby fowlhunter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:27 am

You make a great argument. If I was being truthful, I'm torn on the seasons. I would be willing to compromise with leaving early zone where it's at and pushing late zone further back. I just get tired of the b.s. that you deal with anymore on the marsh. It's to the point I cant hardly make myself go until it starts getting cold, just because it gets rid of the fair weather hunters. But now I'm just whining! lol!!

In all reality, beings we have water. I ll be out there a lot.
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Fowlhunter, I've a suggestion for you, back in the day, I had the same issue you had to many fair weather hunters in the mornings on the marshes, I hunted the Bottoms a lot, I have a cousin that lives in Great Bend and one day we were talking about all these fair weather hunters and how they really screwed it up for the hard core hunters. He laughed at me and said, ever try hunting of a afternoon, I said nope, he said will give it a try, you'll probably find yourself alone out on the marsh. Hell he was right, I got there about 2 and had my limit well before sundown and the best part, there wasn't anyone else around. Now Im retired and hunt the choice days of the week and never have to much company out on the marsh in the morning, I also have a great non huntable pond across the road from my home and watch the waterfowl come and go, Ive noticed the ducks like to fly around a lot from about 3 in the afternoon until about 30 minutes before dark when they go to feed, I guess that's why afternoon hunting has its advantages
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting