Pool 16

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Pool 16

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:54 am

Just wondering how everyone did this past weekend at the drawing? Did you do your pre-drawing scouting because I know there are a few guys out there that picked their spots only to find out they have to walk a half mile to get there now? We ended up with 19th pick and got a blind on our top ten list so were happy. We have roughly a foot of water in the lowest spots with 2-3 everywhere else.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Re: Pool 16

Postby dennisj70 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:18 pm

I thought it sucked...i prefer the choose right away draw...no bs and i didnt care for the fights
That broke out just feet away from me .i did get drawn but not untill almost dead last..and no where near my top ten pics ..lol.....at least ill hunting...good for u on the pic
dennisj70
hunter

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:40 am

Yeah I like the pick right away drawings too. This was our first year getting a pick better than 50 so we thought that was great. What were those fights about anyway we were over by the Vaught calls stand so luckily we were away from it all.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby justinduckman7 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:44 pm

A buddy of mine drew 18 and 33 spot I think they finally got a better spot than they have had in bout 15 yrs
(IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND IF IT SITS THEIR IT STILL DIES ) Let's go shoot their faces off
justinduckman7
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:18 am

I've been to blind drawings at at least seven different state sites over the last 40+ years and they are ALL run the same. Draw names first, then the winners pick their blind AFTER all the names have been drawn.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby jedimike » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:55 am

Where did you guys draw at? How many people were there?
Fights? Over what?
jedimike
hunter

Postby rism » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:32 am

Riverat- Not sure what you mean on all run the same at blind drawings?? Woodford, Rice Anderson, and Sanganois a name is drawn and they get to pick their blind number, then another name is drawn and they pick, so on and so on until they are all gone. Then drawing for alternates. ????
rism
hunter

Postby justinduckman7 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:31 pm

I will be courious to how it goes down their in pool16 when they do way with blinds all together and it's boat blind only. I know I can be a total cluster up in Thompson since they did away with the blinds and I think it forced the older hunters to quit cause it is so much more work not being a me to leave decoys out all the time and have a nice comfortable ind that keeps you out of the weather better than most boat blinds.
(IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND IF IT SITS THEIR IT STILL DIES ) Let's go shoot their faces off
justinduckman7
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:40 pm

I just talked to some Il. river boys who were at the Pool 18 drawing, as well as Rice. They all said both were run the same. All names drawn first, then those drawn select their blinds. I know it has been that way at every blind drawing I've been to for the last 30+ years on the Miss and it was that way when I went to several of the Illinois river sites back in the 70's and early 80's.
IMHO, it is more efficient. By the time they've drawn 3/4 of the names, the crowd starts to thin. This allows those drawn to have a bit more time to refine their picks and work towards the front to pick their blind and pick up the packet.
I do recall going to one drawing, somewhere, where they did try to select the blinds immediately as the names were called. The guys not associated with the winner were yelling out the numbers of the worst blind on the area, wrong blind numbers were being marked off the board, the winner had to almost punch his way close enough to be heard....in other words, it was a cluster.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby straitkilla02 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:34 pm

riverrat47 wrote:I just talked to some Il. river boys who were at the Pool 18 drawing, as well as Rice. They all said both were run the same. All names drawn first, then those drawn select their blinds. I know it has been that way at every blind drawing I've been to for the last 30+ years on the Miss and it was that way when I went to several of the Illinois river sites back in the 70's and early 80's.
IMHO, it is more efficient. By the time they've drawn 3/4 of the names, the crowd starts to thin. This allows those drawn to have a bit more time to refine their picks and work towards the front to pick their blind and pick up the packet.
I do recall going to one drawing, somewhere, where they did try to select the blinds immediately as the names were called. The guys not associated with the winner were yelling out the numbers of the worst blind on the area, wrong blind numbers were being marked off the board, the winner had to almost punch his way close enough to be heard....in other words, it was a cluster.

I am the person riverrat is referring too. I was at Rice and at the pool 18 draw. Been going to both of these draws for 10+ years and they have always picked blinds after all names have been drawn. I know for a fact Woodford does the same thing. We send a few guys there every year to help a friend draw.
straitkilla02
hunter

Postby rism » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:35 am

I've been going to Sanganois draw for 40 straight yrs now. Name is drawn. Owner makes his way to front and tells them what blind he wants. Blind is blanked off on the board and proceed to next draw, 1452 names in draw there this year. Takes about an hour and a half to get through all the blinds and alternates. Top notch operation w/ very few problems. About 50 actual blind sites total.
rism
hunter

Postby Frog » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:05 pm

justinduckman7 wrote:I will be courious to how it goes down their in pool16 when they do way with blinds all together and it's boat blind only. I know I can be a total cluster up in Thompson since they did away with the blinds and I think it forced the older hunters to quit cause it is so much more work not being a me to leave decoys out all the time and have a nice comfortable ind that keeps you out of the weather better than most boat blinds.

They are going to do away with the set blind spots on pool 16? When is this going to happen?
Frog
hunter

Postby justinduckman7 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:10 am

I had heard after this blind draw .
justinduckman7
hunter

Postby Ed L. » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:34 pm

jedimike wrote:Where did you guys draw at? How many people were there?
Fights? Over what?

As I was told, someone that hadn't had his name drawn in 35 years was standing near a fella that had his name drawn and it was his first year in the drawing. Tempers flair but it's only a duck blind. Heck I haven't had my name called since 1998. 86 blind numbers and 1000 people in the drawing. Makes it tough when your a solo hunter.

Take care,

Ed L.
Ed L.
hunter

Postby Ed L. » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:46 pm

justinduckman7 wrote:I had heard after this blind draw .

I've heard that for several years now. I hope not. It'll be a free for all like the old Odessa days back in the 60's and 70's. Just like when they said NO BLINDS in pool 14. Several guys gave up their blinds as they were told then the following year the blinds show back up and they are still there. They did take the blinds out of Potters in pool 13 but still have a draw for stake positions and charge $10 to get in the draw and $100 if you draw a blind location. Keeps me out of it. I'll take my money and buy an Iowa lic where there is more hunting opportunities.

Take care,

Ed L.
Ed L.
hunter

Postby chrispbrown271 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:14 am

I never understood why people have to get so upset about not getting drawn. I have heard of corrupt drawings (both daily and annual) but after hunting public land for 20 years I can't say that I have witnessed it. I have never hunted any of the northern Illinois areas, but had a bad run of 4 years blanking the first three days of season at Mermet and finally gave up and started hunting the walkins. Plenty of times we have had guys walk in on us and set up too close, but as long as they aren't in the line of fire and they aren't shooting straight at us we let it go. I see no reason to start a fight over a duck or two. Some folks just don't know how to act in public.
Chris
chrispbrown271
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting