Flatbed trailer conversion

A place to talk about decoy trailer setups and ideas.

Flatbed trailer conversion

Postby Take em boys » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:38 am

Any one ever make a flat bed into a enclosed? I'm a welder by trade and while doing repair work on a trailer at work it dawned on me I think I can make one was thinking of building wall frame out of 1x1x1/4 square tube welded directly to frame of trailer than sideing it with plywood then cover that in either Tim sheet or rolled aluminum any thoughts? Obv I'm asking cause I can't afford a new or used trailer and I already have this 5x14 flat bed thanks for any help!!!!

Colton
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Re: Flatbed trailer conversion

Postby Black Smoke » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:38 pm

I'd go for it man but think about all the material going into it and think about the time and effort you put into compared to just buying a new/used 5X14. Just my opinion but if you are a good welder I wouldn't hesitate by any means do something, and do it right and you will be happy with the end result because you will always know you did it yourself.
Black Smoke
hunter

Re: Flatbed trailer conversion

Postby elfros » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:46 pm

I converted mine with 2x6 and treated plywood then painted. it works good enough to move 2 kids to college and home plus 10 trips to the quill lakes in Canada. using wood it does flex a bunch the door latches could not stand the stress so I use a long padlock to keep the bad guys out on the handles left the ramp on it for easier access and more security we lock it too.
we pull it to Canada with a f 250 with a tall topper that is where I made the height decision but looking back I would have made it at least 6 ft tall I hate banging my head LOL
elfros
hunter

Return to Decoy Trailer Forum