Hey Ohio- A test for today

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby assateague » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:44 am

Tell me again how the educational system is improving anything for anybody. This test is for 8TH GRADE, from 1912. How many students would pass it today? I failed it miserably. If you honestly believe that more than 10% of current high school students, much less 8th graders, would pass it, you're insane. But please, tell me how what we have now is the fault of parents and society, and not the Department of Education and teachers unions. We have succeeded in dumbing down the population to an astounding degree.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2013/07/05/can-you-pass-this-101-year-old-test-for-8th-graders/


Image
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland


Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ohioboy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:59 am

assateague wrote:Tell me again how the educational system is improving anything for anybody. This test is for 8TH GRADE, from 1912. How many students would pass it today? I failed it miserably. If you honestly believe that more than 10% of current high school students, much less 8th graders, would pass it, you're insane. But please, tell me how what we have now is the fault of parents and society, and not the Department of Education and teachers unions. We have succeeded in dumbing down the population to an astounding degree.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2013/07/05/can-you-pass-this-101-year-old-test-for-8th-graders/


Image

In a hundred years we have added a little more into the plate. Do parents and society want this taught? Yes. Do we also have to add in several new technologies? Yes.

The knowledge doubles every couple of months now. It used to take a hundred years or thousands before that. We know so much now and have to teach it. I learned George Washington had wooden teeth, as did you. Wrong.
http://www.mountvernon.org/educational- ... teeth-myth. I fight an uphill battle every day.

I get it, you hate the government, unions, teachers. Something I don't know is why.
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ohioboy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:12 pm

And hate to burst your bubble, but lots of those questions are just bs memorization questions.

Battle of Quebec? Eh?
Describe the heart? Wow, important.
Math. Calculator. Oh sorry, arithmetic. We all call it that these days. I do it on my abacus.
Geography-what the hell is a zone?

And it was 1912. Where were most people in Kentucky by their teenage years? Working.
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby vincentpa » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:18 pm

assateague wrote:Tell me again how the educational system is improving anything for anybody. This test is for 8TH GRADE, from 1912. How many students would pass it today? I failed it miserably. If you honestly believe that more than 10% of current high school students, much less 8th graders, would pass it, you're insane. But please, tell me how what we have now is the fault of parents and society, and not the Department of Education and teachers unions. We have succeeded in dumbing down the population to an astounding degree.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2013/07/05/can-you-pass-this-101-year-old-test-for-8th-graders/


Image



I bet Ken Jennings could answer all of these.










































Teachers suck!
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
User avatar
vincentpa
hunter
 
Posts: 7715
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:50 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby assateague » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:27 pm

ohioboy wrote:And hate to burst your bubble, but lots of those questions are just bs memorization questions.

Battle of Quebec? Eh?
Describe the heart? Wow, important.
Math. Calculator. Oh sorry, arithmetic. We all call it that these days. I do it on my abacus.
Geography-what the hell is a zone?

And it was 1912. Where were most people in Kentucky by their teenage years? Working.



Nice attitude from a teacher. "Education? Psshhh, we don't need no education, we just need to know 'stuff' and use computers and things". Genius. Thanks for your contribution.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby assateague » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:39 pm

ohioboy wrote:In a hundred years we have added a little more into the plate.

Enlighten us- what has been added to 8th grade education since then?


ohioboy wrote:Do parents and society want this taught? Yes. Do we also have to add in several new technologies? Yes.

Again, what are these ephemeral "things" which have taken time away from what was taught in 8th grade in 1912?


ohioboy wrote:The knowledge doubles every couple of months now. It used to take a hundred years or thousands before that.

And what portion of that applies to 8th grade? Do you honestly believe that it is your job as a teacher to teach "all that is known", or to teach kids to learn?

ohioboy wrote:We know so much now and have to teach it. I learned George Washington had wooden teeth, as did you. Wrong.
http://www.mountvernon.org/educational- ... teeth-myth. I fight an uphill battle every day.

I'm glad to see that teaching kids that George did NOT have wooden teeth takes up so much of your time. Seems like this "additional knowledge" that you speak of which so jams up a teachers plate is nothing more than "different" knowledge.
Then: "George Washington had wooden false teeth"
Now: "George Washington had ivory false teeth"

How does that "additional knowledge" you speak of take up any more time? It doesn't, is the proper answer. But you want it to- you need it to- to justify the fact that children simply aren't as educated as they used to be. Period.



ohioboy wrote:I get it, you hate the government, unions, teachers. Something I don't know is why.


I despise them for the same reason that I would despise a car I was forced to buy, which got 2 mpg, went from 0-60 in 39 seconds, and needed an expensive repair every 5 months. That is why I despise all those things you speak of- because they suck money and time from me and my family, and provide a shoddy product in exchange. And people who are part of the problem tell me that I'm supposed to like it, and if I don't, then it's my fault for not understanding why I should.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby Andy W » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:41 pm

I know for a fact that the old timers learned much more of the basics. The kids of the last several decades don't even come close.
Andy W
hunter
 
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:30 am
Location: KY

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby go get the bird » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:42 pm

assateague wrote:..went from 0-60 in 39 seconds,

SLOW DOWN, THIS IS A NEIGHBORHOOD!
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
User avatar
go get the bird
hunter
 
Posts: 3225
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby assateague » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:43 pm

But yet they cannot explain why I should like it, either.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ohioboy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:46 pm

assateague wrote:
ohioboy wrote:And hate to burst your bubble, but lots of those questions are just bs memorization questions.

Battle of Quebec? Eh?
Describe the heart? Wow, important.
Math. Calculator. Oh sorry, arithmetic. We all call it that these days. I do it on my abacus.
Geography-what the hell is a zone?

And it was 1912. Where were most people in Kentucky by their teenage years? Working.



Nice attitude from a teacher. "Education? Psshhh, we don't need no education, we just need to know 'stuff' and use computers and things". Genius. Thanks for your contribution.


It might have been important then. It's not now. I have to adapt. I was taught that. Do you want me to change my lessons over my 30 year career?
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby assateague » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:51 pm

ohioboy wrote:It might have been important then. It's not now. I have to adapt. I was taught that. Do you want me to change my lessons over my 30 year career?



You're a history teacher


:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ohioboy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:22 pm

assateague wrote:
ohioboy wrote:In a hundred years we have added a little more into the plate.

Enlighten us- what has been added to 8th grade education since then?


ohioboy wrote:Do parents and society want this taught? Yes. Do we also have to add in several new technologies? Yes.

Again, what are these ephemeral "things" which have taken time away from what was taught in 8th grade in 1912?


ohioboy wrote:The knowledge doubles every couple of months now. It used to take a hundred years or thousands before that.

And what portion of that applies to 8th grade? Do you honestly believe that it is your job as a teacher to teach "all that is known", or to teach kids to learn?

ohioboy wrote:We know so much now and have to teach it. I learned George Washington had wooden teeth, as did you. Wrong.
http://www.mountvernon.org/educational- ... teeth-myth. I fight an uphill battle every day.

I'm glad to see that teaching kids that George did NOT have wooden teeth takes up so much of your time. Seems like this "additional knowledge" that you speak of which so jams up a teachers plate is nothing more than "different" knowledge.
Then: "George Washington had wooden false teeth"
Now: "George Washington had ivory false teeth"

How does that "additional knowledge" you speak of take up any more time? It doesn't, is the proper answer. But you want it to- you need it to- to justify the fact that children simply aren't as educated as they used to be. Period.



ohioboy wrote:I get it, you hate the government, unions, teachers. Something I don't know is why.


I despise them for the same reason that I would despise a car I was forced to buy, which got 2 mpg, went from 0-60 in 39 seconds, and needed an expensive repair every 5 months. That is why I despise all those things you speak of- because they suck money and time from me and my family, and provide a shoddy product in exchange. And people who are part of the problem tell me that I'm supposed to like it, and if I don't, then it's my fault for not understanding why I should.


Assa, you are smart. You can't seriously think that the last hundred years has not changed the things we teach and the ways. Or who. We don't teach all that is known, but we teach the curriculum, which is set by the school board and state government, both of which are selected by voters. The pool of knowledge is huge. Today instead of maybe one source to research a topic or argument, I have to teach kids to sort through millions of results. It seems rather hypocritical that a person who has almost 20k posts on this site, and no doubt on others, looks down on change. We MUST teach kids how to integrate the new and ever changing technologies. Facebook is dead (to kids anyways, and they are the future). Your kids are being taught how to use computers and the countless uses. Do you think this is bad? I would actually say that now is the hardest time in my teaching career due to this. Adapt or become obsolete. Turn your back own the last hundred years and you are just plain ignorant.

You are mad at the wrong people. You give a crap. Most citizens don't.

I will be back to school soon, let me see if I can find a test from your 8th grade year. You would see things that do not matter one iota, but you had to learn them.
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ohioboy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:24 pm

assateague wrote:
ohioboy wrote:It might have been important then. It's not now. I have to adapt. I was taught that. Do you want me to change my lessons over my 30 year career?



You're a history teacher


:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:


:huh: please explain.
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:31 pm

I believe he is using the 'history was important in the past, but is not now' line of that remark. Which IS funny... especially if you do indeed teach history.
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
User avatar
Gunnysway
hunter
 
Posts: 2757
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ohioboy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:36 pm

Gunnysway wrote:I believe he is using the 'history was important in the past, but is not now' line of that remark. Which IS funny... especially if you do indeed teach history.


Important enough to teach, to clarify.
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ohioboy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:41 pm

1,367 Persons 7-13 Years of Age Attending School
290 Total Persons 14 and 15 Years of Age Attending School

This is from http://www.bullittcountyhistory.com/bch ... .html#1920

So apparently lots passed the test then too.

Oh, I found that on the Internet. Not here 100 years ago. On my iPad. Not here 100 years ago. Wonder how they put the stats on that website since it was not invented?
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby assateague » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:49 pm

Is it the job of a school to teach my kids how to use a microwave oven? Because, hey, that wasn't invented 100 years ago, and if it's been invented since then, apparently to you it is the job of the schools to teach the students how to operate it.

Outside of computers and calculators, you have specified absolutely nothing which is "taking time out of the day" that would not have been around 100 years ago. Care to try again?
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ohioboy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:14 pm

assateague wrote:Is it the job of a school to teach my kids how to use a microwave oven? Because, hey, that wasn't invented 100 years ago, and if it's been invented since then, apparently to you it is the job of the schools to teach the students how to operate it.

Outside of computers and calculators, you have specified absolutely nothing which is "taking time out of the day" that would not have been around 100 years ago. Care to try again?

You apparently don't know how much time is spent on that instruction. Lots.

Ok, in 100 years there have been advances or changes in every area of study. Agree or disagree.

You ever go to a public school? To shadow your kids? My offer still stands. So you can gripe and moan or you could actually see a teacher in action. Oh, and I will have you come while I am teaching google docs. Should be fun.

Assa's, I bet lots of kids do NOT know how a microwave works. The parents are not around. You don't get this. Come to my school ( which is no where near the bottom btw, still ranked in the top 3% nationwide). See kids in action.
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ohioboy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:15 pm

I gotta run, but quick, Assa, how do YOU send someone a message on your computer? What form is it in. Back later. Ciao.
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby assateague » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:29 pm

Exactly my point- you need to learn how to spell and use proper grammar. Talk about putting the cart before the horse.


And, once again, what are all these "technologies and advances" you speak of, the teaching of which sucks up class time?
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby vincentpa » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:33 pm

Who invented the internet???????????
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
User avatar
vincentpa
hunter
 
Posts: 7715
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:50 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby Andy W » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:41 pm

^ algore!
Andy W
hunter
 
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:30 am
Location: KY

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:05 pm

Pottery classes in middle school? Dance class? I can go on for an hour with all the useless classes that are available. That time would be far better spent teaching reading, writing, and arithmatic. What is being taught today is often a complete joke. I could have graduated todays high school exams when walking out of the 8th grade. Then again I went to a private school and had a mother who was doom on a black horse about to run you over if you brought home bad grades.

Ohio, The system is severely broken, defending it makes you look a bit foolish.

For the record, as a history teacher your lessons should never have to change once written. History hasn't changed.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
User avatar
ScaupHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 6503
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby vincentpa » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:37 pm

History should be taught by time periods. There is no reason to alter the earlier time periods or diminish their importance. I live in a very important city historically in our country and for that matter at times the world. The historical importance and its history are not taught in schools. What a tragedy! Every European knows their local history and well, even the dummies. Shame on us.



Sent from my iPhone 5, which sucks my cojones. Don't buy one.
Last edited by vincentpa on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
User avatar
vincentpa
hunter
 
Posts: 7715
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:50 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby vincentpa » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:38 pm

. Duplicate.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
User avatar
vincentpa
hunter
 
Posts: 7715
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:50 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Next

Return to Controversial Issues Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests