Even Blodget is right every once in awhile.

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Even Blodget is right every once in awhile.

Postby slowshooter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:54 pm

All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Re: Even Blodget is right every once in awhile.

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:22 pm

Simply not true. We need to stop shipping good paying jobs overseas. The jobs that are being left behind are not worth the extra pay. I make a good wage and earned it through an education and hard work. I am paid what I am worth. No one should get more money just because they work.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:26 am

ScaupHunter wrote:Simply not true. We need to stop shipping good paying jobs overseas. The jobs that are being left behind are not worth the extra pay. I make a good wage and earned it through an education and hard work. I am paid what I am worth. No one should get more money just because they work.

If there is one thing I'm absolutely certain of, it's that you completely misunderstood Blodget's premise. If there's another, it's that there is no earthly way you are paid what you are worth
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:57 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:Simply not true. We need to stop shipping good paying jobs overseas. The jobs that are being left behind are not worth the extra pay. I make a good wage and earned it through an education and hard work. I am paid what I am worth. No one should get more money just because they work.

If there is one thing I'm absolutely certain of, it's that you completely misunderstood Blodget's premise. If there's another, it's that there is no earthly way you are paid what you are worth

LOL. :lol3:

Wait. Let me restate:

LOL!
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:02 am

Even when it comes to wages, the law of supply and demand will NOT be violated collectively by society.

Obama added a huge cost to hiring low skilled employees via Obamacare, so society is responding as expected to that higher cost via lower demand. Admonishes to "do the right thing" are just silly and will never work. Economic reality was changed by government and the consequences are what they are and all the admonishes will not change reality. This is just one example, possibly the biggest.

If you owned a house and one of those less fortunate was trying to buy it, would you eat $10k or $50k or more to do the right thing and help them out? Maybe California should mandate that. If not, then why should a CEO take my money and give it away when they do not need to. It is not the money of the CEO to do with as he pleases, although it often seems that way, it is the money of the retired people that rely upon it for their retirement, it is the young people's money trying to build their nest egg, it is the shareholders money and the executives have a legal responsibility to do the best by me and every other shareholder and what I do with it after that is up to me.

Why are companies hoarding cash when they did not do so in the past? Again the economic realities have changed. They just don't see any investments that the reward is justified by the risk. Too many unknowns, too many threats from government, too sluggish of an economy with no end in sight, ...

We need to change the economic reality such that the demand for American workers goes up.

1. Don't let a bunch of low skilled foreign nationals into the country to compete with Americans for factory and constructions jobs. This is just insane. But yes the business owners will love the continued flood of foreign nations coming to the U.S. willing to work for almost nothing, especially if they are here illegally and therefore have little leverage.

2. Make the cost of investment as low as possible. I'd like to no taxes on corporations, immediate deductability of capital expenditures just like operating expenses, and vastly smarter regulations. I want every investor the world over clamouring to build in the U.S. to the point where it drives wage inflation like we see in North Dakota because of the oil and gas boom.

3. Balanced government budgets and no more printing money. The massive debt and ongoing deficit adds a huge economic uncertainty. Uncertainty means risk and risk means the need for higher expected returns to compensate for the risk.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:56 pm

Why are jobs going overseas? Aren't most of the jobs going overseas low skill labor jobs?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:20 pm

Does anybody have the reliable numbers on how many jobs are insourced and how many are outsourced and what those jobs are?

The problem isn't outsource. It's that jobs are evaporating. If you can get 99 weeks of paid vacation, I mean unemployment "insurance" and work under the table, why would you not take it. Just think what an employer would have to pay you to attract you if you aren't exactly the highly motivated type just looking to barely get by. Add on top of that welfare, food stamps, disability, ... what is the reason to take a crappy job and bust your ass to work up the ladder 10 or 20 years down the road?

If you are an investor, would you invest in a country where they demagogue the rich? You have to worry about a heads you lose tails you don't make much proposition. If your investment fails, you lose the money you had. If it succeeds, are they going to redistribute it for you? So why not just hoard your cash and protect what you have and work to make the investments that were already made as profitable as possible and avoid the risk of a lot of new money being invested?

The problem is that economic growth has not significantly outpaced population growth and as long as that is true, wages will stagnate. You add on top of that an economic penalty on ALL of your existing workers if you hire more people as Obamacare does for some businesses, it creates too big of an economic hill to climb.

We have a bad economy because we have an unfriendly regulatory, tax, and political environment. Until we fix those, we are going to continue on the lackluster path that we are one and just limp along barely keeping pace with population growth.

I don't see it changing. I think the American spirit is dead. That's the change we got. The same thing that Detroit got generations ago.

A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby cartervj » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:39 pm

Since Obama came into office 3/4 of all NEW jobs are part time :lol3:

that is what change looks like
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
cartervj
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:57 am

cartervj wrote:Since Obama came into office 3/4 of all NEW jobs are part time
Why won't he hire FTE's? I thought everyone at the White house worked at least 16 hours a day. :grooving:

Does he get any credit for avoiding the uber-depression Bush had prepared?
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:17 am

dudejcb wrote:
Why won't he hire FTE's? I thought everyone at the White house worked at least 16 hours a day. :grooving:

Does he get any credit for avoiding the uber-depression Bush had prepared?

Maybe that's what we needed. Have you considered that? We are likely, by any sane measure, in a recession now, and Obama has done zero to actually fix anything. Our current standard of living is being sustained with more debt that we don't have the capacity to pay back. We are taking our cars, big houses and big screen TVs today while we stick a knife in backs of future generations.

The problem with "stimulus" is it doesn't create demand, it simply pulls it forward leaving less demand for tomorrow, which is why the ROI is decreasing with the expansion of our debt.

Not to mention the whole theory of spending to stimulate as a positive means to manage the economy only theoretically works if debt is paid off when times are good....which we haven't done. And neither major party can claim they've done it at the federal level in decades.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:15 am

dudejcb wrote:
Why won't he hire FTE's?

FTE is full time EQUIVALENT. Two half timers is one FTE :yes:
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby High Sierras » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:44 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
dudejcb wrote:
Why won't he hire FTE's?

FTE is full time EQUIVALENT. Two half timers is one FTE :yes:

And Obama get the credit for dropping the unemployment rate twice as fast...brilliant! We won't talk about thew whole living wage nonsense...makes Obama look 'skeevy' and all. :lol3:
High Sierras
hunter

Postby High Sierras » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:02 am

dudejcb wrote:
Why won't he hire FTE's?
Why on earth would obama pay one person a "living wage" when he can get two people to vote for him by making their misery just a little better?
dudejcb wrote:I thought everyone at the White house worked at least 16 hours a day. :grooving:

Does it really take 16 hours to play a round of golf? That's about all anyone in the Whitehouse does anymore. :lol3: Oh, and go on vacations. I guess they can say he works 16 hours a day flying to Tahiti. On our dime. With 800 of his closest family, friends, and associates. Also on our dime. :no:
dudejcb wrote:Does he get any credit for avoiding the uber-depression the democrat congress had prepared?
Dude, he was only a junior senator from Illinois with like 6 months of on the job training when the rest of the democrat congress dug us into the current catastrophic hole we're in... I hardly think he should get credit for merely showing up, it's not like the good old days when he was at Harvard.
High Sierras
hunter

Return to Controversial Issues Forum