Newbie Wanting to say hi

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Newbie Wanting to say hi

Postby Smoke238eater » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:13 pm

Hello guys just a wanted to say hello. I'm new to the forum.I've been wanting to learn how to mount birds I've looked through mostof the posts on here and have found allot of usefull information but am needing more.I do not have anyone in my area that does allot of birds and nobody wants to teach me the trade.I'm only interested in mounting birds for me and family any arrows to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thank you guys
Smoke238eater
hunter

Re: Newbie Wanting to say hi

Postby cinnamon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:30 pm

Check out taxidermy.net. look in the tutorial section under wing tips. Not a pro but this has greatly helped me . Good luck.
cinnamon
hunter

Postby duxrus » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:29 am

WELCOME....I second the Taxidermy.net suggestion. The tutorial section is full of helpful tips and shows many ways of doing the same thing. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE is what gets you better. Don't be afraid to try various methods and pick what works best for you. If you are like most of us you will have plenty of your first birds that will simply put, "crash and burn", but remember that is only part of the learning curve. If you ever have specific questions, ask away. Someone is bound to know the answer or atleast where to look. Good luck and have FUN :beer:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Smoke238eater » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:35 am

Thanks Guys I appreciate the kind words and helpful arrows.
Smoke238eater
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Remember the perfect bird mount is an anomaly as it doesn't exist. As said before, strive to improve with each bird and don't get discouraged. I kept my first ever bird mount as a reminder of where I started. You will find this site quite helpful as most of the wise guys are elsewhere, which is why I frequent it. Also attend conventions and go to the hands on seminars if offered and all the bird seminars as well. The tips and ideas you pick up can become part of your technique which should be a hybrid from other taxidermist that are molded to suit yourself. If you are serious. pay the piper and do a one on one school with an established taxidermist that offers this. They are usually a week or more.

Welcome to the site.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:47 pm

As an addition to all the great advice above especially from dux,waterfowler. I would start practicing skinning out birds especially ducks and geese. Get that down, move on to learning how to flesh and de-fat all while doing your due diligence to learn those next steps i.e. seminars, books and forums. Learn anatomy!!!!!! Good luck welcome aboard .
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby cinnamon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:33 am

If you are serious I would consider buying or making a bird flesher. Cutting off all that fat with scissors gets old really quick and takes a lot of time.At least for me.Good luck. The main thing is to enjoy the learning curve. As they say practice is the mother of skill.
cinnamon
hunter

Postby Smoke238eater » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:56 pm

Hey guys Thanks for all the great advice. I've been working on readying material and videos right now. haven't touch a bird yet.
Smoke238eater
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum