Short Reed Tuning

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Short Reed Tuning

Postby BonzaiDuck227 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:00 pm

New goose caller here looking for some good articles (or videos), on tuning short reeds. I've watched a few YouTube vids but they weren't meant for a beginner caller. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?
BonzaiDuck227
hunter

Re: Short Reed Tuning

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:29 pm

Have you seen these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eucKmevTtvM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnf1MPC5p-E

These are some of my favorites along with Trevor Shannahan's and I believe Field Hudnall might have a short video on tuning.

Also, as a beginning goose caller, you will need to invest in the DVD called "Bad Grammer". Scott does go into tuning but more importantly, he goes into operating a call. It's one of the best investments a goose caller can make IMHO :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:56 am

If you are a new caller, I would say leave the call alone as you'll likely.do more harm than good seeing as how you don't know how a SR goose call is supposed to sound and run anyways. Have a more experienced caller run it and if they say it needs retuned and they know how, have them show you. If you move anything in a SR gut even a fraction of a millimeter in the wrong direction you'll put it out of tune faster than can believe.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby BonzaiDuck227 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:25 am

After watching and reading some SR tuning tutorials I actually got it running better than it was. Moans on it sound better and raspier, and clucks break over easier with less air. I really like to do trial and error, that's how I became a good duck caller my always messing with and tuning the reeds now its like second nature. I learn by trial an error.
BonzaiDuck227
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum