Bass Pro Shop

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Bass Pro Shop

Postby Bullfrog26692 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:32 am

Is it just me or is Bass Pro Shop a joke these days. I go in the place because they are having a huge hunting sale expo. The waterfowl section is garbage. A wall full of Redhead decoys and nothing but Duck Commander gimmick gear. I like the guys and I like for what they stand for, but I can live without a huge display of Uncle Si tea cups in the gear section. The clothing section is just as bad. I saw a bunch of Redhead and over priced Drake gear, that was it. Two tiny bags of Raffia grass and very limited decoy rigging supplies. If you don't live close save yourself a trip. Is there a decent place in Hampton Roads area to buy some gear? I know I can get anything online, but its nice to try before you buy.
gooosehunter wrote:I dont always shoot ducks, but when I do, it's dos duckies.
Bullfrog26692
hunter

Re: Bass Pro Shop

Postby mountairyplantation » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:54 am

BPS blows. The Redhead brand is garbage too.
mountairyplantation
DHC Sponsor

Postby NOVAggie » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:07 am

Only hit BPS to look at their boats. Only buy stuff there when on sale. Avoid redhead gear.

I prefer green top if buying "local"

I don't really buy a ton of waterfowl gear each year, don't understand what people have to buy EVERY year.
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:05 am

all things waterfowl, i shop rogers sporting goods online or cabelas
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:08 am

imaduckin up north wrote:all things waterfowl, i shop rogers sporting goods online or cabelas

+1
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:27 am

imaduckin up north wrote:all things waterfowl, i shop rogers sporting goods online or cabelas

Or Green Top :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Willie » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:36 am

Yes, also get some stuff from wing supply on occasion.
Willie
hunter

Postby dwbiggs » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:48 am

That duck commander crap is everywhere...I'm afraid a monster was created by Duck Dynasty...its way old already, wish they would go away. Oh...and ye...BPS sucks! :no:
Bonafide member of the National Ringneck Hunters Association(NRHA)
dwbiggs
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:26 pm

dwbiggs wrote:That duck commander crap is everywhere...I'm afraid a monster was created by Duck Dynasty...its way old already, wish they would go away. Oh...and ye...BPS sucks! :no:

the kardashians of duck hunting :fingerpt:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby dwbiggs » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:14 pm

When i saw Si's mug down here in Florida on a beach towel...I figured it has gone too far. Guess people eat it up though. :huh:
Bonafide member of the National Ringneck Hunters Association(NRHA)
dwbiggs
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:19 pm

China will make and print anything and one is born everyday that will buy the trash as long as it has something on it like a duck head or a birds shadow with its feet down . I have always been a big fan of drab colors that one doesn't find in the sports section . You got to love something camo on the outside and white on the inside , the trick is to never wash the dang thing .
Now with that said , I do like going into BPS and other like stores to see what's new and see how I can make something or find something that can do the same thing at more then half the cost at another store .

:smile: LD :wink:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby crumbe » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:18 pm

Yes BPS is bad. I had been checking the local BPS for waterfowl stuff all summer. Gave them the benefit of the doubt. Hit the store the first weekend. As far as I could tell they did not stock anything new. Same 2 or 3 boxes of Avian X decoys that had been there all summer. No BF boxes but they display them. I could go on and on.

On the other hand....was at greentop Friday night. They are stocked up good!!
crumbe
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:13 am

hampton bass pro has never had any good waterfowl stuff. Since they put it in the back corner it has gotten even worse. I have bought a few things from them but not much.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:29 am

I went to a Walmart in Arkansas when hunting out there several years ago and they had better gear then BPS. I admit I have purchased several hunting items from BPS over the years. A bird strap, shells, mojo and a decoy slot bag which fell apart after one season. One thing that was better than Cabelas...waders. The pair I bought from Cabelas lasted two hunts and came apart. The pair from BPS, Three years and still doing great.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:33 am

Bullfrog26692 wrote:Is it just me or is Bass Pro Shop a joke these days. I go in the place because they are having a huge hunting sale expo. The waterfowl section is garbage. A wall full of Redhead decoys and nothing but Duck Commander gimmick gear. I like the guys and I like for what they stand for, but I can live without a huge display of Uncle Si tea cups in the gear section. The clothing section is just as bad. I saw a bunch of Redhead and over priced Drake gear, that was it. Two tiny bags of Raffia grass and very limited decoy rigging supplies. If you don't live close save yourself a trip. Is there a decent place in Hampton Roads area to buy some gear? I know I can get anything online, but its nice to try before you buy.

BF, has Hampton's BP improved the waterfowling sections since you posted this thread?
Virginia Waterfowling Workshop, Sept. 26-28, an event worth attending.
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby crumbe » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:38 am

I will be there today....I can let you know!!
crumbe
hunter

Postby Goosebuster72 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:47 am

:thumbsup: can't go wrong with Rogers
Goosebuster72
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:04 am

NOVAggie wrote: Avoid redhead gear.

You've got a looong way to drive to get to Green Top now don't cha'? :yes:

Avoid Redhead gear-
I bet you are, but by default-

Is this you now,.. on the way to the "blind"? :yes: :hi:

Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:19 am

Imaduckn said something about Rogers so I went to have a look and found this ground blind on sale put here is the problem with online shopping . what is the thickness , what kind of frame does it have and countless other questions come to mind and a tightwad like myself will miss the chance to pay a good price for the type of blind I'm looking for .
Sasquatch Shooters Ridge Hunting Blind [AT-40520]

Blend into your surroundings with the Sasquatch pop-up ground blinds from Shooters Ridge. Offering multiple windows that can be silently adjusted in a multiple of configurations and dozens of brush ties and loops, the Sasquatch gives hunters the edge when pursuing game at the ground level.

There's even a roof opening and dog access door for use in waterfowl situations. Blind folds to fit a backpack style transport bag (included) that features padded shoulder straps, compression area for extra gear, removable gear pouch and sternum strap for extra load control and comfort.

Medium Blind dimension: 58" x 58" x 66"

Camo: Realtree AP HD

Shooters Ridge Hunting Blind Shooters Ridge Hunting Blind
AT-40520
Price: $199.99 $99.99

Is this a good ground blind ?

:smile: LD :wink:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Bullfrog26692 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:39 pm

goosesmacker wrote:
Bullfrog26692 wrote:Is it just me or is Bass Pro Shop a joke these days. I go in the place because they are having a huge hunting sale expo. The waterfowl section is garbage. A wall full of Redhead decoys and nothing but Duck Commander gimmick gear. I like the guys and I like for what they stand for, but I can live without a huge display of Uncle Si tea cups in the gear section. The clothing section is just as bad. I saw a bunch of Redhead and over priced Drake gear, that was it. Two tiny bags of Raffia grass and very limited decoy rigging supplies. If you don't live close save yourself a trip. Is there a decent place in Hampton Roads area to buy some gear? I know I can get anything online, but its nice to try before you buy.

BF, has Hampton's BP improved the waterfowling sections since you posted this thread?

I'm going again next week because they did have some nice quality dove shells for 7.99 a box...probably going to get another 10 boxes before they are wiped out, if not already. Of course by default I have to go by the waterfowl section so I will give an update. I'm going during work hours on the man's dime anyway so why not.
gooosehunter wrote:I dont always shoot ducks, but when I do, it's dos duckies.
Bullfrog26692
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:24 pm

Just could be..... Ran into an old friend up at BP today,now in the Waterfowl dept., def knows his way around the waterfowling world &has alot of experience setting up a related dept! We talked quite a bit about what's shaking with the ducks& geese but also about what that stores plans are...and his plans too.... Just saying, may be some changes made up that way,for the better! just saying :beer:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:38 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
NOVAggie wrote: Avoid redhead gear.

You've got a looong way to drive to get to Green Top now don't cha'? :yes:

Avoid Redhead gear-
I bet you are, but by default-

Is this you now,.. on the way to the "blind"? :yes: :hi:

Yes it is, but made it there when I was in VA last week. MUCH better than the old place and 10 times better than gander was.

Haha no, no Poncho Villa for me. Although over Labor Day we are staying at a hacienda he used to stay at. I have a line on quail hunting down here now too. So bird season may turn out pretty good this year. My duck contact moved to Texas..hope he makes a few trips home, haha.

NOVAggie
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:12 pm

mountairyplantation wrote:BPS blows. The Redhead brand is garbage too.

I have found anything that is supposed to be waterproof leaks and everything that is supposed to float fills up with water... Redhead is a ripoff for crap jap product

waders, decoys, decoy gloves, boots, all garbage. Will go there for shotgun shells but that is about it
lbhansford
hunter

Postby hairyheadhammer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:55 pm

I guess the richmond store will be getting the fully flocked pelican decoys soon. Can't wait.
"the man who is not a liberal in his youth has no heart, the man who remains so as he matures has no brain"
Winston Churchill
hairyheadhammer
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:21 am

lbhansford wrote:
mountairyplantation wrote:BPS blows. The Redhead brand is garbage too.

I have found anything that is supposed to be waterproof leaks and everything that is supposed to float fills up with water... Redhead is a ripoff for crap jap product

If it was made in Japan, it would actually be half decent. But I guess all Asians are the same to you?

NOVAggie
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting